PDA

View Full Version : mavic bladed spoke

shankldu
01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Just had a spoke break for no apparent reason ,anyway i need a front spoke for mavic aksium looks like 2010 ish . None on ebay any ideas on where i could get one .

danielpack22@ma
01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Check with your LBS. Mine almost always has a few put back in a drawer.

shankldu
01-19-2012, 02:09 PM
no dice my lbs is performance bike unfortunitly

crownjewelwl
01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
proprietary spokes suck! couldn't find em anywhere online. you gotta ask a mavic dealer to get em for you.

same thing happened to me a few years back. took about a week, but they covered them under warranty.

saw a guy in my new shop this week who rolled in with a broken ksyrium spoke too...no luck!

benitosan1972
01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
no dice my lbs is performance bike unfortunitly

Performance is a Mavic dealer, they should have or at least have access to getting another spoke. Well, maybe they suck that bad, and exist to sell us bike parts and not service? Probably, but they are still a dealer and should be able to order it.

slowerthanyou
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
proprietary spokes suck! couldn't find em anywhere online. you gotta ask a mavic dealer to get em for you.

same thing happened to me a few years back. took about a week, but they covered them under warranty.

saw a guy in my new shop this week who rolled in with a broken ksyrium spoke too...no luck!
+1!! Proprietary spokes (and wheels, for that matter) suck!! When I broke a spoke on my rear '05 Ksyrium SL, took 2 weeks to get the spoke from Mavic. Sold the wheels the day after they were fixed. "Regular" hubs, spokes and rims, handbuilt, from then on for me.

oldpotatoe
01-19-2012, 05:58 PM
+1!! Proprietary spokes (and wheels, for that matter) suck!! When I broke a spoke on my rear '05 Ksyrium SL, took 2 weeks to get the spoke from Mavic. Sold the wheels the day after they were fixed. "Regular" hubs, spokes and rims, handbuilt, from then on for me.

Reality, what a concept.

Bob Ross
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
proprietary spokes suck! ...[snip]... saw a guy in my new shop this week who rolled in with a broken ksyrium spoke too...no luck!

^^^This.
Was on a ride last summer way out in the boondocks of western New Jersey with my wife, who had Ksyrium Elite wheels on her bike. She broke a spoke on the rear wheel, which instantly made the bike almost completely unrideable. A little bit of Google Maps/iPhone wizardry located a bike shop two miles away, so we limped over there.

Sorry, no gots any Mavic bladed spokes.

But -- and this is why we'll send this bike shop beer for xmas every year -- the wrench proceeded to pull out a conventional spoke, a hacksaw, a tap&die set, and a few other tools, and managed to totally McGyver a functional spoke to get the wheel back in true! It was almost crazy mad scientist kind of jury-rigging watching the crap he had to do to an ordinary spoke to make it work with a Ksyrium, but he managed to get us back on the road in ~20 minutes.

I do not want to ever have to deal with that crap again. I have generic spokes on all my wheels now, & the missus never rides her Ksyrium-equipped bike any time we're riding in unfamilar territory anymore.

ultraman6970
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Lucky me the only wheels i have with bladed spokes have pillar spokes that are not proprietary at all. Looks like work better than mavic ones as well because my 200 pounds arss still cant make one of those to snap yet in a few years.