PDA

View Full Version : campagnolo medium cage derailleurs with triple?

bicycletricycle
01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
i am setting up my new bike with a 10 speed record triple. 13-29, 30/42/53. I have a medium cage record 10 derailleur. Has anyone used a medium cage on a setup like this? I imagine a long cage is required, why else would they have made one?

Ralph
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
That is exactly the combination I have now on a custom steel frame. 30-42-53 and 13-29. Med cage. It shifts fine.

However....I played aound with chain length with an old throw away 10's chain before I cut a new one to length. I cut it so the big to big will wrap if I accidentially do that shift....but it is tight.

The little to little is kinda slack (it doesn't matter), and the upper jockey wheel will slightly rub the chain when on the 13, but not if on the 14 tooth. So I'm kinda at the limits of what this med cage can do with this set up.

BTW....I don't think this combination would work on my CAAD 5 Cannondale daily rider (but 13-26 would). It's derailleur tab is just a tad shorter than the one on my custom steel fame, and the derailleur pulley would rub the large cog....no matter how I adjust B screw.

So basically I'm wrapping about 38-39 teeth difference on my steel frame, and can wrap about 36 on my Cannondale with med cage rear Campy.

slowgoing
01-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Medium cage was for up to 26 teeth in back, long cage for 29, that was with a stock size triple in front.

oldpotatoe
01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
i am setting up my new bike with a 10 speed record triple. 13-29, 30/42/53. I have a medium cage record 10 derailleur. Has anyone used a medium cage on a setup like this? I imagine a long cage is required, why else would they have made one?

Original ERGO triples were racing T and were the same length as medium cage of the later triples. 9s as well, up to a 13-28 so sure. Just make sure the chain is the proper length so you can do big-big w/o breaking the chain.

Ralph
01-19-2012, 03:11 PM
BTW....I also regularly find myself wondering if so and so combination will work....whch is why I keep a (cleaned up) old chain around to test fit stuff. I can add links or take links out to get desired length to see how something works. But wouldn't dare take a ride (more than around the block) on 10's chain I put links into with chain tool. Also have to consider effect of adding a quick link....if you use one of those with Campy chain, and I do.

But for questions like above....I'm sure I tested several chain lengths to see which worked best before I cut a new chain to length. With a 30-40-50 (or 28-40-50 TA rings), I would take two more links out.

Could make that combination with med cage work on about anything if you cut chain short so it can't shift big to big....thus pulling upper pulley out of the way. But don't let anyone borrow your bike....or accidently shift big to big. Something will break. Shucks....could probably make a short cage work for one ride.

rain dogs
01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I had the understanding that Campagnolo effectively worked with one of two derailleurs options dependant on your crankset:

Small and Medium for a double crankset
Medium and Long for a triple crankset

The shorter of the two derailleur options works 'best' up to 25 teeth in the back

The longer of the two derailleur options works 'best' with 26-29 in the back

I'm pretty sure that's how it's described in the literature.

So, if you have a triple and a 29, what's recommended is Long Cage.

Other combos may work, but they aren't what's recommended.

bicycletricycle
01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
super info here, if its working on a bike that's enough for me to try it out. Thanks everybody.

Ralph
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
OK....but start off with chain on long side. Then take links out as necessary.

khjr
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
That is exactly the combination I have now on a custom steel frame. 30-42-53 and 13-29. Med cage. It shifts fine. BTW....I don't think this combination would work on my CAAD 5 Cannondale daily rider (but 13-26 would). It's derailleur tab is just a tad shorter than the one on my custom steel fame, and the derailleur pulley would rub the large cog....no matter how I adjust B screw.

Similar to the challenge that I had with a 28 tooth rear cog using the Racing Triple derailleur with a 30/40/50 triple crank (all 8 spd era). Even with the B tension screwed in, the top pulley really had to work hard to climb onto the 28. Setup works great with up to a 26 tooth. That said, when I'm not riding the bike across mountains, I've found that a short cage Record is fine for a 12-21 rear and the same triple crank up front (i.e. even the short cage seemed to have more takeup capacity than expected)

nighthawk
01-21-2012, 02:31 PM

I'm in the process of building a bike with the same. Just curious what you will be using for shifters?

Elefantino
01-21-2012, 02:50 PM
OK....but start off with chain on long side. Then take links out as necessary.
Word(s).