PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Serotta Forks?

John H.
01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I see forks on their website.
I need to get my hands on one of the forks for long reach brakes.
They say 6 weeks to get a fork.
Seems like if you are in the fork business you could have forks in a shorter amount of time than that?
Any shops out there have one? Long reach- 43mm rake?

bfd
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Wow, six weeks for a fork? Are they made one at a time? You may want to look at other forks like Wound Up, Enve or Ritchey. Good Luck!

dave thompson
01-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree, somewhat. Though there were no problems encountered when my builder requested an S3 'touring' fork outfitted for long reach brakes and fender eyelets. A hell of a good fork.

I suspect that the Poway plant isn't necessarily geared up to have forks 'in stock for immediate delivery' at the moment with what Serotta is going through.

bfd
01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow, six weeks for a fork? Are they made one at a time? You may want to look at other forks like Wound Up, Enve or Ritchey. Good Luck!

Forgot one, IRD sells a fork designed for 57mm reach caliper brakes, has eyelets for fenders and should fit 26c/28c tires with fenders. It is also available in 300mm or 400mm steerer option. For $220 retail, it seems like a deal!

http://store.interlocracing.com/mo57rofoast.html

Good Luck!

rugbysecondrow
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Serotta makes one hell of a fork though. 6 weeks is a while, but likley worth it for a Serotta fork.

jpw
01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
I agree, somewhat. Though there were no problems encountered when my builder requested an S3 'touring' fork outfitted for long reach brakes and fender eyelets. A hell of a good fork.

I suspect that the Poway plant isn't necessarily geared up to have forks 'in stock for immediate delivery' at the moment with what Serotta is going through.

I find the Poway plant an enigma. Why have all that capability and yet fail to fully exploit it for the market? There are so few *quality* carbon fork options out there worth considering and S has the means to supply. S is just giving away sales to Wound Up. This is why I have one on my S ti cross.

tv_vt
01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
John, just order it and be done with it. It will be worth the wait. They are awesome forks.

Ahneida Ride
01-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I got mine in about 10 days ...

They are awesome forks.

rpm
01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I ordered an S3 in October through my LBS and got it just before Christmas. I was annoyed by the long wait, because it delayed a paint job on my bike, but it really is the one perfect replacement for my old Ouzo pro. An Enve or other fork wouldn't have been the right length, and it is a great fork. The wait is totally forgiven, but if I were you, I'd order it right away so that you'll have it for April or May riding.

Serotta_Carbon
01-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest in the forks we produce in Poway.

Since we offer many options we don't really "stock" anything but our leadtime here to produce the unpainted forks is typically 1-2 days from receipt of the order from NY.

We then ship the forks to Saratoga for finishing and shipment to the customer.

Sorry for the backlog in the paint department but they're a little short handed at the moment and I'm guessing the long lead time is an attempt at managing expectations. If they quote shorter times and then there's a delay the customer gets mad. If they get it done early the customer is pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps one day we'll have our own paint shop out here but for the moment that's the way our system works.

John H.
01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the reply.
This is not for a painted fork though.
It takes 6 weeks to get a fork finished with clear coat?

jpw
01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest in the forks we produce in Poway.

Since we offer many options we don't really "stock" anything but our leadtime here to produce the unpainted forks is typically 1-2 days from receipt of the order from NY.

We then ship the forks to Saratoga for finishing and shipment to the customer.

Sorry for the backlog in the paint department but they're a little short handed at the moment and I'm guessing the long lead time is an attempt at managing expectations. If they quote shorter times and then there's a delay the customer gets mad. If they get it done early the customer is pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps one day we'll have our own paint shop out here but for the moment that's the way our system works.

Any news on a Serotta carbon cross fork? Vaporware?

Serotta_Carbon
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.
This is not for a painted fork though.

Last time I checked clearcoat is still considered paint and requires a similar amount of labor in the form of sealing/priming, application of graphics, application of top coat, final buff out etc.

Not making excuses. As I said before...trying to manage expectations...

It's still a lot of work...

Serotta_Carbon
01-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Any news on a Serotta carbon cross fork? Vaporware?

Still in the prototype phase. Other priorities at the moment.

Hopefully before too long....

BumbleBeeDave
01-19-2012, 03:50 PM

. . . or does Wound Up have some sort of 18 handed robot?

Given the custom nature of these forks, with different rakes, layups, stiffness ratings, etc., I wouldn't expect them to just make a hundred or so and have them lying there "just in case" they sell one of that particular profile.

BBD

jlwdm
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Not what he said.

Jeff

pdmtong
01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
whats the big deal? 6 weeks is nothing compared to the time you will likley own the bike/fork. serotta forks are fantastic and worth the mininmal wait. why compromise if this is what you want?

order now and you are rolling by spring for sure.

happycampyer
01-19-2012, 09:02 PM
I recently ordered a standard length F3, and it took a few weeks to get, which was fine with me. You can't go wrong with a Serotta fork.

P.S. Mr. Lopez, thanks for chiming in!

dave thompson
01-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Serotta offers three different forks, each in two different steer tube diameters and each of those in four different rakes! That's a lot of numbers to manage and manufacture. They're not 'off the peg' units. I'd give Serotta a lot of slack. If you want one quicker, order it unpainted, a very quick turnaround.