PDA

View Full Version : Next bike will probably be...

Dekonick
01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
conflicted....

I want an Ottrott - but I want an Ottrott with DKS rear. What would you do?

I want an Ottrott with a DKS rear - with wide clearances. 35mm tires...

:crap: :crap: :crap:

Saving as we speak for the next bike... probably a year to 2 away...

IF I could find a DKS rear that took 30+mm tires, and KB could cut and retro I would be set...

Short of that, what is a DKS fan to do?

Jason E
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Perhaps since they are making a PAVE version, the Pave Ottrott will have not only more clearance, but also more flex in the rear?

The current one can have up to, what, like 1.2CM of travel? it's really good at smoothing things out, and if you are on 30MM tires at 80***, you probably do not need more.

Jason E
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Can some one tell me why P S I is censored? W T F?

Louis
01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
How many DKS Ottrotts were made? How many in your size?

Seems to me some of the simpler options not involving major surgery are:

1) Ottrott SE / ST (new or used)
2) DKS (used)
3) Kirk Terraplane (new or used)

Dekonick
01-18-2012, 11:41 PM
How many DKS Ottrotts were made? How many in your size?

Seems to me some of the simpler options not involving major surgery are:

1) Ottrott SE / ST (new or used)
2) DKS (used)
3) Kirk Terraplane (new or used)

Yes - but I need a 56 C-C with a 55 top tube. Not many made like that... especially with clearance for 35 tires...

the Pave might be an option...

saving duckets... I will decide next year. A Bedford Ti is NOT out of the question... I love my Bedford tourer.

Peter P.
01-19-2012, 06:16 AM
You might as well have Dave Kirk build you a frame with his Terraplane seatstays.

Since Dave designed the DKS rear end and no doubt tried to replicate the effect with his Terraplane design, this is about as close as you're going to reliably get.

rugbysecondrow
01-19-2012, 06:24 AM
I am not certain, but wasn't the DKS more performance oriented, helping the rear wheel stay seated to the ground? It seems that engangement is geared more towards smaller, skinnier, higher PSI tires. Maybe I am wrong, just thinking aloud.

Anyway, I think you should think about how you would use the bike, what it is for, how it might be a redundancy to what you have now or what gaps you expect it to fill. Once you hone in on what you want, I think your decision will be easier...except the DKS, I think that ship has sailed and it might be time to move on.

EDIT: Another option, does Moots still offer a road bike with the YBB rear?

LouDeeter
01-19-2012, 06:30 AM
I typically like to ride 700x25 to 700x28 tires. When I got a used Hors Categorie with the DKS stays, I used 700x23. I haven't tried 700x25 and they may fit, but nothing larger than that. I love the ride of the HC, but have no idea whether it is because of the DKS or other reasons.

My understanding is that Serotta owns the DKS patent, so if they are willing to build you a custom frame with them, that would be the way to go in my opinion. You're going to spend a lot of money, so get what you want.

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
My Hampsten Strada Bianca with YBB was built of ti by MOOTS. It has a cross fork w/cantis. It easily has room for 32mm tires with room left over.
I had a Kirk Terraplane and have ridden a couple of H'Ors Cats. I liked them all but the YBB provides the most rear wheel travel/taming. If you really want shock absorbing in the rear I'd suggest you see if you can get a YBB bike from Hampsten or MOOTS because I think Serotta has refused to make any more DKS bikes and the Terraplane effect is pretty subtle.

Ti Designs
01-19-2012, 10:56 AM
conflicted....

I want an Ottrott - but I want an Ottrott with DKS rear. What would you do?

I would do what I do with everything else that's not offered anywhere, I would build one...

fourflys
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I would think the obvious would be give Dave Kirk a call and see what his recommendations are... especially if this is something that Serotta can't/won't do...

Dekonick
01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Paul is right - it would be redundant. I just wish my DKS could take 28 tires... 25 barely fit in the front fork, 28 MIGHT fit in the rear, but taht would be pushing it.

I have always love the look of the ottrott over the mevici and would go that route over anything else.

I have enough steel bikes for now; I was looking at something with a touch of carbon... but with the feel of the DKS rear. I just feel so much more in control going downhill when riding my DKS. The Bedford tourer is nice too... but no doubt the DKS is a wonderful design for descending.

:)

It is going to be a year before I am seriously looking anyway... just wondering what the options are.

slowandsteady
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
My Hampsten Strada Bianca with YBB was built of ti by MOOTS. It has a cross fork w/cantis. It easily has room for 32mm tires with room left over.

Drooling!!! PICTURES STAT!!!

AngryScientist
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
the impression i'm beginning to get, and i might be off-base is that Serotta is moving more towards full custom rigs. based on stuff i've seen Pete say and other things, i'd be willing to bet if you are committed to plunk down a deposit and ask, Serotta might be willing to make you whatever you want, within reason. if you're a year or more out from committing to something, Serotta may be an option once they have stuff sorted out...

it might not be cheap, but if they are doing full custom anyway, why not get what you want from them?

Dekonick
01-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I would do what I do with everything else that's not offered anywhere, I would build one...

If I only had your skills I would make an attempt.

bicycletricycle
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
kirk terraplane

Smiley
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Where is the Chopper :)

Elefantino
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Next bike will probably be ...

Law school for my daughter.

roydyates
01-19-2012, 08:28 PM
kirk terraplane

Please make sure to get one that's just a tad (1cm?) too small so you can sell it to me once you figure out it doesn't quite fit.

flydhest
01-19-2012, 08:33 PM
I used to own a Hors Categorie cross bike. It is quite a bike. Dekonick, if you could find one, you would love it. It was not an Ottrott, however.

It was a tad big for me (bought it used, was actually Mr. Kirk's bike) so I passed it along to a forumite who seemed (somehow) even happier with it than I was.

Kontact
01-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I've got my eye on a used Calfee. Skinny tubes, ti dropouts, weirdly webbed lugs. Fugly in a good way.

pdmtong
01-19-2012, 09:35 PM
I've got my eye on a used Calfee. Skinny tubes, ti dropouts, weirdly webbed lugs. Fugly in a good way.

Avoid the luna pro. I had one. dead. wooden.
Tetra Pro is cheap used. shockingly cheap.

buldogge
01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Love my Tetra Pro...but...I have no other CF experience to gauge it against. Would love to try an Ottrott as well!

-Mark in St. Louis

93legendti
01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
I used to own a Hors Categorie cross bike. It is quite a bike. Dekonick, if you could find one, you would love it. It was not an Ottrott, however.

It was a tad big for me (bought it used, was actually Mr. Kirk's bike) so I passed it along to a forumite who seemed (somehow) even happier with it than I was.
I agree, my Hors CX is awesome.

soulspinner
01-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Next bike-stainless with 11 speed. No paint, just etched..................

djg
01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
First of all, props to our faithful sponsor. I've still got my HSG Ti (excellent) and the old CSi (still great, now "converted" via an eno flip-flop hub and some parts swaps) and I'd be very happily riding my GP Suisse had it not been stolen. But one of the very few others that always had me curious was Spectrum. Lots of things look cool, and might prompt a momentary "what if," but for all my enthusiastic over-spending, I've never had a hankering to collect bikes or move through one of everything that looks seriously good, not that there's anything wrong with that. But over the years, I've wondered about Spectrum. I know a few folks who think the world of Tom and Spectrum -- a team mate, this board's very own znfndl, and a couple of others. I've met the man, turned pedals with him. So after a bit of hand-wringing about my next bike, after my very awesome cross bike was stolen by some scumbag or other, I sent a deposit to Tom Kellog. Thought seriously about another Serotta. Thought seriously about a K. Bedford, who looks to be doing great stuff. But the next bike is a Spectrum.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
I had a Kirk Terraplane and have ridden a couple of H'Ors Cats. I liked them all but the YBB provides the most rear wheel travel/taming. If you really want shock absorbing in the rear I'd suggest you see if you can get a YBB bike from MOOTS because I think Serotta has refused to make any more DKS bikes and the Terraplane effect is pretty subtle.

What he said.......

merckx
01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
zank......max.......orange

djg
01-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Good on ya. Education over toys. Plus, she might defend you, or at least recommend counsel, if it comes to that.

Plus the first 10 years of the career don't have to be dominated by the need to pay off the loans.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Agree, had a track/fixie calfee, didn't like it.

Check the headtube for cracks, fairly common....

and buying used means no warranty.

jpw
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Can some one tell me why P S I is censored? W T F?

P S I is, and W T F isn't - ?

jpw
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
My understanding is that Serotta owns the DKS patent, so if they are willing to build you a custom frame with them, that would be the way to go in my opinion. You're going to spend a lot of money, so get what you want.

No chance of that happening this millennium.
Didn't S sell off the DKS tooling?
If S needs some cash it could sell the patent.

Dekonick
01-20-2012, 08:02 PM
No chance of that happening this millennium.
Didn't S sell off the DKS tooling?
If S needs some cash it could sell the patent.

Serotta is not making any more DKS bikes. That is why I got the blessing to have my DKS chopped and fit by Mr. Bedford. My only issue is I wish it took wider tires... a CX DKS would be da bomb.

Never tried a YYB...

I do want to send some of my business to Mr. Serotta and Co - they do make a fantastic product. I will also have Mr. Bedford build me another bike sometime, but for the next one, I was thinking about an Ottrott... Something I like about Ti lugs.

bobswire
01-20-2012, 08:31 PM

We've too many lawyers as it is, buy your daughter a Serotta. :banana:

dave thompson
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
.......maybe something made of aluminium.

choke
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Since I bought my last bike nothing in the way of a 'new' bike interests me (sacrilege I know), though if the price was right I would be all over a Hetchins, a steel Landshark or an older steel DeRosa.

raygunner
01-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Well I did put down a deposit for a Signal frame but that won't be for like 1.5 years...

So next bike is something is probably something from this forum! No wait...I just bought too much stuff! Where's the sissors to cut up my credit cards!??!

don compton
01-20-2012, 09:48 PM
My next bike will be another Rivendell.

CunegoFan
01-20-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm going to put together a Deng Fu. I want a no nonsense, no logo, no overpriced marketing plastic bike.

ljmiller
01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
If I dont end up building a lugged MAX or SL or other light steel variant, I would love a nikolai argon road/tsunami road, those things look HOT.

witcombusa
01-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Merckx Corsa Extra with Croce D'Aune

jpw
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
My next bike will almost certainly be made of titanium, have room for fat tires, and sport S & S couplers. It could be a Serotta. It might be a Moots. I'm pondering this exquisite dilemma.