PDA

View Full Version : OT - Nuther Southern Rock Question for the Old Pharts

old_fat_and_slow
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Gottah tell yah guys, I was overwhelmed by all the responses to my Allman Bros band question. Thanks to all that read the question, and a special shout out to all those who responded ('cept for that huckster Akelman).

Gottah nuther question fer yah. There is no right or wrong answer, just yer opinion. I'm interested in yer opinions.

Who had the bigger imact on yer life in your formative years:
a.) Allman Brothers
b.) Lynyrd Skynyrd

For me it was Skynyrd

This has got to be one of my all time favorites, if not my absolute favorite,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcceU3qyVzA

And then of course, who can deny the place of this song in all time rock history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0solnL1XY

Yes, I'm referring to what you're thinking.

Ronny V.Z., there will never be anyone that can fill your shoes, not even Donnie in .38 Special! ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSu9AjAwJLI

I have only been recently turned on to the Allman Bros. I luv Melissa, Whipping Post, and Little Martha, but for me it's Skynyrd.

What about you?

Fatty

oliver1850
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Lennerd Skinnerd for me. I only got into the Allmans after Second Helping came out. Prior to Sweet Home Alabama I wasn't into anything with any twang element.

I had tickets to their scheduled show in Champaign on the Street Survivors tour, too bad they never got there.

Ken Robb
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Jerry Lee Lewis visits the doctor.

Steve in SLO
01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
c) The Outlaws

Green Grass and High Tides did it for me. Here's a pre-SOPA link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk

CaptStash
01-18-2012, 11:08 PM
I still have my original copy of Street Survivors complete with flames. Need I say anything more?

CaptStash....

choke
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
I much prefer the Allman Brothers.

c) The Outlaws+1, it's hard to beat the Florida Guitar Army. The Hurry Sundown album is still one of my all time favorites.

oliver1850
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
here's mine. I'm wondering about my memory, as the Champaign date isn't listed in the liner notes. Perhaps it was added later, or maybe it was wishful thinking on my part.

Louis
01-18-2012, 11:34 PM
What a riot. Thirty years from now will what we are wearing these days seem as silly as that mid - late 70's stuff appears to be today?

oliver1850
01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
You don't still wear your "my grass is blue" T shirt?

Louis
01-18-2012, 11:42 PM
No, but I am a vegetarian.

93legendti
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Skynyrd for me in the '70's. They were on the radio more on the local stations. In '80, a floor mate dragged me to see the ABB in one of their worst incarnations and that started it.
Later in the '90's, a band i used to sit in with did killer ABB versions of "One Way Out", Statesboro Blues" and (a reworked version of) "Midnight Rider"and that sealed it for me.

rustychisel
01-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Lynyrd Skynyrd for me.

ABB weren't even in the picture.

Ray
01-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Loved em both, but I was always a bit more into the stretched out improvisation so I'd have to say the Allmans were a bigger favorite for longer. But I saw Skynard in all their glory in 1975 (with Rod Stewart, who was still pretty great then) so I'd have to say I was more into them sooner. I even saw RVZ stumble out of a limo and into a hotel along with a couple of groupies as about 20 beer cans fell out of the limo behind them, after the show - we knew where theynwere staying and there was quite a party in the parking lot.

I got into the Allmans a couple of years later, when mytastes were maturing (I was getting into Miles and Trane at about the same time). Really just very different bands. Skynard was a British blues/rock band with a southern touch. The Allmans were one of the two great original jam bands with a southern touch. Then a lot of bands tried to be Skynard and a few came pretty close for a song or two, but nobody really tried to be the Allmans because nobody could have. I'd say they were the two originals for what they did though.

-Ray

jr59
01-19-2012, 07:00 AM
I mostly grew up in Jax Fl.

I knew the real Leonard.

I also was very very good friends with Allen Collins.
I knew all those Jax rockers. And at that time they were a lot of them.

I love the Allmans, and I think Daune was a GREAT player.
But I will always miss my friend.

Fixed
01-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Dexie Dreggs
one of the top southern rock bands
i ever heard
cheers

Fixed
01-19-2012, 07:32 AM
I mostly grew up in Jax Fl.

I knew the real Leonard.

I also was very very good friends with Allen Collins.
I knew all those Jax rockers. And at that time they were a lot of them.

I love the Allmans, and I think Daune was a GREAT player.
But I will always miss my friend.
hey bro did you ever know a bass player named buzzy in jax. ?
cheers

johnnymossville
01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
LS in my early years and AB in my later years, though I still appreciate LS.

I mean, come on, when you first hear Free Bird as a kid it changes you.

Bob Ross
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Who had the bigger imact on yer life in your formative years:
a.) Allman Brothers
b.) Lynyrd Skynyrd

I hated any and all Southern Rock during my formative years, but I can't deny that Skynyrd had a huge impact...mostly due to the prevalence of yahoos shouting out "Freebird!" during my concerts!

cmg
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Allman brothers fan forever. when i discovered the long winded jam, been listening for it ever since. listened to fillmore east (elizebeth reed) for at least 3 yrs, everyday, saw them in 75. Saw them in 1990 before dicky betts left, saw them with hayes and was saddened. LS, not realy a fan until "one from the road." now will probably never see either one of them. for me the glory is gone and not to return.

pjm
01-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Dexie Dreggs
one of the top southern rock bands
i ever heard
cheers
All right Fixed! Yeah, I was a big Dregs fan. Steve Morse is a hell of a guitar player. Saw them in a small club here in Albany and they were incredible.

Always preferred Skynyrd to the Allmans (saw them in Saratoga about a month or two before the plane crash), and then I discovered Little Feat. :cool: (Once again, saw them in concert, and shortly after, Lowell George was gone.)

R2D2
01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Allmans for me. But also Wet Willy. Catfish Hodge. Elvin Bishop.
Good memories.
Trivia:
What's the common link between LS and Blood Sweat and Tears?

pedlpwrd
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
For me it was always "Gimmie three steps" as an anthem! But, I was also very partial to Molly Hatchet in the southern rock genre.

Birddog
01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Back in the late 70's a drifter type came through the resort area in N New Mexico where I was living and caught a job on a construction crew. I don't remember him being real skilled but I do remember him as quite the story teller and among other things saying that he had been the drummer in the Allman Bros band and had been forced out or in some other way had gotten screwed out of his gig. Most of us didn't give him a pass on the story but we didn't call BS on it either because he provided enough info to possibly be credible. Within a month he was picked up on an out of state arrest warrant for murder. A bunch of us went "whoa" when that came down. Anybody remember a change in drummers in the early years?

old_fat_and_slow
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I hated any and all Southern Rock during my formative years, but I can't deny that Skynyrd had a huge impact...mostly due to the prevalence of yahoos shouting out "Freebird!" during my concerts!

That's Funny !

So who were more obnoxious/vocal, the yahoos shouting "Freebird", or the dimwits screaming "Stairway" ? ?

pedlpwrd
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Back in the late 70's a drifter type came through the resort area in N New Mexico where I was living and caught a job on a construction crew. I don't remember him being real skilled but I do remember him as quite the story teller and among other things saying that he had been the drummer in the Allman Bros band and had been forced out or in some other way had gotten screwed out of his gig. Most of us didn't give him a pass on the story but we didn't call BS on it either because he provided enough info to possibly be credible. Within a month he was picked up on an out of state arrest warrant for murder. A bunch of us went "whoa" when that came down. Anybody remember a change in drummers in the early years?
I hate when that kind of thing happens! And then everyone is like "whoa! A murderer?" Lol. Yea, I'd be intrested to know if he was legit too?? Crazy stuff in this world!

Dr. Sparrow
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Cleary Skynyrd for me.

I still own this album with this cover.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bf/StreetSurvivorsFlames.jpg/220px-StreetSurvivorsFlames.jpg

Birddog
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I hate when that kind of thing happens! And then everyone is like "whoa! A murderer?" Lol. Yea, I'd be intrested to know if he was legit too?? Crazy stuff in this world!
Yep,after that arrest came down we all concurred that had anybody called BS on his stories that we maybe could have pissed him off.

Ray
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Trivia:
What's the common link between LS and Blood Sweat and Tears?
Mike Bloomfield's piano player... :cool:

-Ray

Charles M
01-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Southern rock...

For me there was mothers finest and everyone else...

Seramount
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Whiiiippppiiiinnnngggg Pooooossst....

jr59
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
hey bro did you ever know a bass player named buzzy in jax. ?
cheers

Not off the top of my head, but if he was in the N. Fl area then, it would have been the Comic Book Club, La Vidas, or in the latter years, the Other Place.

I was in all three a LOT! Work in the latter 2. That and Allen was always introducing me to guys and I would say "yea hey" and not pay much mind.

There are a lot of guys that fall into that group in the early years, after Allen got hurt, I paid more attention.

veloduffer
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Allman Bros and Marshall Tucker.
Skynrd came after them.

I used to have a few Sea Level albums (Chuck Levell from the Allmans).

A real treat is watching the Allmans in a smaller setting like the Beacon Theatre in NYC.

R2D2
01-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Mike Bloomfield's piano player... :cool:

-Ray
We have a winner.
Al Kooper.
Organized BST and produced the first LS album.

swg
01-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Allman Bros and Marshall Tucker.
Skynrd came after them.

I used to have a few Sea Level albums (Chuck Levell from the Allmans).

Still have them all.

Now for some reason I can't get "heard it in a lu uvv saw ong" out of my head. Guess tomorrow night we will have to get the turntable spinning.

BryanE
01-20-2012, 04:29 AM
I'd have to vote Allman Bros because of Live At The Fillmore but it warms my heart that someone mentioned Wet Willie.
Their LP Drippin Wet is the apex,for me,of southern fried boogie/blues.
This vintage clip makes me grin every time I watch it.
That's All Right
Bryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfU3ZPiuLc&feature=related

cmg
01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I'd have to vote Allman Bros because of Live At The Fillmore but it warms my heart that someone mentioned Wet Willie.
Their LP Drippin Wet is the apex,for me,of southern fried boogie/blues.
This vintage clip makes me grin every time I watch it.
That's All Right
Bryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfU3ZPiuLc&feature=related

Ahh.........the 70's, wet willie played an out door venue in SA, in the middle of summer.. people in the back in the shade smoking. the aroma waffting over the front of the stage..

Ray
01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
I seem to remember a Wet Willie and Elvin Bishop concert when I was a kid. Willie was a bit more southern, Elvin a bit more blues, but these were two fairly marginal acts in those days, who I'd rather listen to than just about anything but the cream of the crop of many other eras. Which, of course, says more about me than the music, but there you go. None of that stuff was about marketing or style - just get up and play and see if you can make it a party just based on the quality of the music and performance. And many could. Even Elton John was just about get up and play the piano and sing in those days. Then KISS and Bowie and Queen came along in the mid-'70s and all of the rules changed.

-Ray