PDA

View Full Version : OT Can some one suggest a good driving route from San Francisco to LA

tuxbailey
01-18-2012, 01:42 PM
I will be visiting the West Coast next week and plan to drive to LA from SF. Originally I planned to take the shortest route suggested by my GPS but some people had told me to take the scenic route as I would not want to miss it.

Since I don't want to take all day (traveling with young kid) I want to just drive part of the PCH to sample its greatness. Can anyone suggest a good route?

TIA.

Jaq
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
The 101 Freeway is a generally good mix of scenic and speed.

For a bit of fun, stop for lunch at the Madonna Inn in San Louis Obisbo. The food's not bad, but the restaurant is pure kitsch; very colorful & fun.

pedlpwrd
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
The route my soon to be ex and I took whenever we visited California was the 101 to I-5 to I-10. There is a beautiful pass called Pacheco Pass while on the 101 right after passing thru Gilroy (If you're a garlic fan this is the best place to take a stop) and the road is long and pretty, yet the fastest way to get from the two places. 8 hours tops! Travel safely my friend. :beer:

tuxbailey
01-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Cool.

101 sounds like a good choice :) 8 hours is doable, add some rest and food stop that will make a fun trip.

So I shouldn't get onto Rt. 1 if I don't want take all day?

Edit: never mind, I see that PCH runs along side 101 at some part.

MadRocketSci
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
if you're taking 101 S keep your speed in check near King city...it's a cop-erama...

for pure kitsch there's also Solvang...

cat6
01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
101, avoid the 5 if you're looking for scenery.

Stop in Pismo beach for some chowder from Splash Cafe, easy on/off.

Bud_E
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Cool.

101 sounds like a good choice :) 8 hours is doable, add some rest and food stop that will make a fun trip.

So I shouldn't get onto Rt. 1 if I don't want take all day?

Edit: never mind, I see that PCH runs along side 101 at some part.

The stunning part of of PCH is the Monterey Peninsula/Carmel and south ( Point Lobos is amazing ) - it should be done at least once in your life. But it's hard for those prone to getting carsick - hours of slow windy driving. 101 is a nice median and you get some of the coast further south.

pavel
01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
5 will be the shortest route in terms of distance and speed; most of that route is a 70mph zone.

101 is an okay mix as everyone said. I am from the bay area and did my undergrad in santa barbara and 101 was the route I always took. It's not great; its pretty boring going from san jose until you get to paso robles-ish imo. A lot of farm fields and big open area. Its a lot like the 5 here. King City is an infamous speed trap.

Really the only good part of this route is everything past Paso Robles, because you will spend a lot of time on the coast once you're past San Louis Obispo.

If you have the time, my suggestion is to take 1. Its a long drive, but its absolutely gorgeous. You will go through Pacifica and Santa Cruz on the way to Monterey. You will go through Big Sur, which i think is one of the most beautiful places on this earth. It's indescribably sublime. It will be gorgeous whether in sunlight or clouds. There is an energy that is unmistakable.

Gaze upon the ocean and feel revived.

Stop at Nepenthe Inn to eat. Talk to the people.

After passing through Big Sur you'll find yourself near Hearst Castle and Morro bay; then this route rejoins 101 right at SLO.

1 is super long and that will definitely take you about 8-9 hours from SF to LA, but it is absolutely stunning and something every human being should experience at least once.

biker72
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
If you have the time, my suggestion is to take 1. Its a long drive, but its absolutely gorgeous. You will go through Pacifica and Santa Cruz on the way to Monterey. You will go through Big Sur, which i think is one of the most beautiful places on this earth. It's indescribably sublime. It will be gorgeous whether in sunlight or clouds. There is an energy that is unmistakable.

Gaze upon the ocean and feel revived.

Stop at Nepenthe Inn to eat. Talk to the people.

After passing through Big Sur you'll find yourself near Hearst Castle and Morro bay; then this route rejoins 101 right at SLO.

1 is super long and that will definitely take you about 8-0 hours from SF to LA, but it is absolutely stunning and something every human being should experience at least once.
I did this on a motorcycle back in 1989. It is absolutely worth the time.

Bob Loblaw
01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I did the PCH from San Jose to LA. Took me 9 hours on a motorcycle. The problem is motor homes, impassable caravans of them.

A great option is 101 down to 46 and then 46 to I-5. 46 takes you to the James Dean memorial which is kind of cool. I-5 south from there is not bad as after a short straight stretch you go through the grapevine, which is actually quite lovely. It's also quicker than taking 101 all the way, since 101 starts to become more sinuous (and more industrial) as you get closer to LA.

BL

Ken Robb
01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Highway 1 from Carmel to its junction with 101 south of San Simeon is WORTH the time. If you can start south from Carmel by 7am you are unlikely to get stuck behind much slow traffic especially now that it is the off season. Can you get to the Monterey/Carmel area the night before heading south on 1? You really want to do it from north to south so you are on the side with the views and it is easy off/on at view spots.

maunahaole
01-18-2012, 06:30 PM
There is a Best Western (or similar) hotel right at the corner of Hwy 1 and Rio Rd in Carmel. 50 yards tops to the beginning of hwy 1 into big sur. Across from a shopping center and gas, so you will be able to get going inthe morning with a minimum of fuss. You want to hit the road early. There is really no place to pass. Once you get to Ventura County, it becomes a little more mixed up, but the LA county section north of Malibu is nice.

I rode out hwy 1 carmel-big sur and back on my bike at 7am several years ago on t-giving or christmas time. Clear and cold. perfect. quiet. no traffic.

If you are visiting, take the time and do this trip. I5 is fast, but boring and I have to say that I think a good deal more dangerous now than it used to be, as there seems to be a lot more traffic on it than in years past. Some is going upwards of 90mph. Some is at or below the speed limit. LOTS of trucks. Also the unpleasantness going by the feed lots in Coalinga.

RayNYC
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Route 1 Duh!!

RayNYC
01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
My god Big Sur is amazing
(as a sit here in NYC...)

norcalbiker
01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Take 101 North but do take Hwy 1 whenever it's possible. This maybe the only chance you have. I wouldn't trade Hwy 1 for a couple of hours of my life. It's totally worth it. If you take Hwy 101 After San Luis Obispo, then you will going to miss a lot of nice places to see, like Hearst Castle, Monterey Peninsula, Santa Cruz to name a few.

I have done Hwy 1 from San Francisco to San Diego on my motorcycle and totally awesome. Hwy 1 is much better than 25 years ago.

GuyGadois
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
In general:

Fastest: I5
Slowest: Highway 1 to 101 then back to highway 1 at Rice avenue in Camarillio

If you have time, go down highway 1 all the way to SLO. Take highway 101 to Rice avenue in Camarillo and go to the coast and down thru Malibu and Santa Monica. This will eventually hook back up with 101. The north Highway 1 route is painfully slow but it is beautiful. If you don't want to make it an all day trek skip the highway 1 and just go down Highway 101 until Camarillo. 101 is fairly boring from San Jose to SLO but you can go fast.

Now, I have to disagree with Bob Loblaw. I have known him a long time and he sucks at directions and has no sense of time. In Camarillo take the Rice exit (I believe Rice is open again, if not take the next Southern exit) and head west to Highway 1, PCH. This route to LA is frequently faster since the valley in LA gets just clogged with traffic. The route is beautiful, the cars are exotic and the women self important. It is especially beautiful around sunset. During high traffic time 101 will be at a stand still. PCH/1 will be slow but faster then 101 and the views will make it easier.

Gadois

Louis
01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Fzq94YVbHHM/SGufCGow5zI/AAAAAAAAKow/pqbnzbM5oHM/s400/beach_volley_girls_11.jpg

Bob Loblaw
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
This is sadly quite true. :beer:

Now, I have to disagree with Bob Loblaw. I have known him a long time and he sucks at directions and has no sense of time.

Gadois

tuxbailey
01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestion. Many options to be decided on. I have been to the Monterey/Pebble Beach area before but Big Sur will be very attractive to go by.

Have a small kid means leaving early will be tough...

akelman
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
How old is the kid? There's a bunch of great beaches along that route, including, north of Santa Cruz but south of Half Moon Bay, Greyhound Rock (http://www.beachcalifornia.com/greyh.html), which is our favorite spot in the state. But the water is cold. And the hike down to the shore is a bit steep. Our four-year-old can manage it, but he's a mountain goat. Oh, as I'm thinking about it, another great thing to do, if your kid is up to it, is to check out the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523). Again, though, it's not ideal with a really little kid. It's a hike into the seals -- ~2 miles -- which our four-year-old refuses to do. He's great in the hills but pretty worthless on the flats. There are also elephant seals near Hurst Castle, and those are usually just off the highway, that might be a better option.

tuxbailey
01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
How old is the kid? There's a bunch of great beaches along that route, including, north of Santa Cruz but south of Half Moon Bay, Greyhound Rock (http://www.beachcalifornia.com/greyh.html), which is our favorite spot in the state. But the water is cold. And the hike down to the shore is a bit steep. Our four-year-old can manage it, but he's a mountain goat. Oh, as I'm thinking about it, another really great thing to do, if your child is up to it, is to check out the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523). Again, though, it's not ideal with a really little kid. It's a hike into the seals -- ~2 miles -- which our four-year-old refuses to do. He's great in the hills but pretty worthless on the flats. There are also elephant seals near Hurst Castle, and those are usually just off the highway, so maybe that's a better option.

My daughter just turned 4 and she is not the very active type... I probably won't be able leave SF until late morning so 101 might be my option :(

akelman
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
You'll have a great time no matter what route you choose. A trip with daddy down the length of California is the kind of thing she'll remember for the rest of her life, I bet. Have fun.

tuxbailey
01-18-2012, 11:33 PM
You'll have a great time no matter what route you choose. A trip with daddy down the length of California is the kind of thing she'll remember for the rest of her life, I bet. Have fun.

Not to mention she will get to visit Disneyland and see Shamu :D

Gummee
01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=cat6]101, avoid the 5 if you're looking for scenery.
Avoid 101 north of SLO if you're looking for scenery. Its just about as boring as the 5... Farms to the left. Farms to the right. Repeat.

If you wanna make time, but still see 'the good stuff' head up the 5 to the cutoff for Santa Rosa and make your way over to the 1 on the coastline. :nod You get wine in Santa Rosa, then Big Sur all the way to Monterrey. From Monterrey to Santa Cruz is more farms but with the ocean over your left shoulder. Cut over on the 17 at Santa Cruz and keep going up the major roads to SF.

Be careful on 17. It has the reputation as being a nasty road to drive.

M

Gummee
01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
101, avoid the 5 if you're looking for scenery.
Avoid 101 north of SLO if you're looking for scenery. Its just about as boring as the 5... Farms to the left. Farms to the right. Repeat.

If you wanna make time, but still see 'the good stuff' head up the 5 to the cutoff for Santa Rosa and make your way over to the 1 on the coastline. :nod You get wine in Santa Rosa, then Big Sur all the way to Monterrey. From Monterrey to Santa Cruz is more farms but with the ocean over your left shoulder. Cut over on the 17 at Santa Cruz and keep going up the major roads to SF.

Be careful on 17. It has the reputation as being a nasty road to drive.

Guess I shoulda kept reading. Oh well. :crap:

M

craptacular
01-19-2012, 09:38 AM
If you go through big sur, gas up before you hit it. Gas is crazy expensive there.

benitosan1972
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Like everyone has already stated, if you have the time, spend as much of your ride on Hwy 1/Pacific Coast Hwy as much as possible. Riding with the ocean to your right, with alternating views of beaches, marine reserves, quaint lighthouses, small farms, and historic coastal communities with cute little downtowns and fishing harbors is the best way to experience California. If you are a good climber, you can alternate between following the coastline with occasional climbs into redwood forests and mountains. You'll really love it vs the monotony and headache of just blasting down 101-5-etc. Plus, many places to stop, sightsee, eat, photograph, and play along the coast, not as many interesting things along the roads heavily travelled (mostly by cars).

tiretrax
01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
The PCH between Ventura and Malibu is beautiful and as worthwhile as from the Monterey Penninsula to SLO. Once you get into Malibu, there will be plenty of traffic lights.

A 4yo may not appreciate the beauty of the coastal drive, however, and the windiness of the Big Sur area is likely to result in car sickness - but you'll have to decide on that. We've taken both routes, and if you choose 101, there are some very charming towns to stop for lunch (we don't have a regular place to go).

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Shamu? You're continuing to San Diego? How many days do you have for this adventure? Where will you stay in LA? It sounds like you will be on the road past a 4 year-old's bedtime. Maybe mine too. :)

tuxbailey
01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Shamu? You're continuing to San Diego? How many days do you have for this adventure? Where will you stay in LA? It sounds like you will be on the road past a 4 year-old's bedtime. Maybe mine too. :)

Yup. I will stay in LA for a week. I will be living at my cousin's place in Laguna Niguel so I will take my family to see Shamu. Not sure if the zoo is worth a separate trip :)

54ny77
01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Go on highway 5 the whole way, leave very early (pre-dawn) drive fast, don't breathe while passing Kettleman City, have steak and eggs at Harris Ranch at sunrise, and grab a vanilla shake at In-n-Out in Ventura/Oxnard off the 101.

Not that I've done that more times than I can count....

:beer:

MadRocketSci
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Go on highway 5 the whole way, leave very early (pre-dawn) drive fast, don't breathe while passing Kettleman City, have steak and eggs at Harris Ranch at sunrise, and grab a vanilla shake at In-n-Out in Ventura/Oxnard off the 101.

Close your vents before Coalinga...it's too late by the time you get to Kettleman. There is an In-n-Out there also btw, along with the other usual fast food places.

bart998
01-19-2012, 04:07 PM
My god Big Sur is amazing
(as a sit here in NYC...)

If you have the time, Big Sur, Carmel, and San Simeon are not to be missed. If you don't have the time, make time. You won't be sorry.

false_Aest
01-19-2012, 04:12 PM
take the 101 south to that garlic city . . . gilroy?

then find your way to the 25.
take the 25 to 198. once you hit the 198 go east to the 5.
take the 5 down to LA.

the 25 is a 2-lane curvy wonder with very little traffic. though the first 5-10 miles is a bunch of strip mall tshi.

takes a little bit longer than the 5 but its worth it .

Driving the 25 has been known to cause pleasant friskyness between to consenting adults. Just make sure to keep your eyes on the road

maunahaole
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Close your vents before Coalinga...it's too late by the time you get to Kettleman. There is an In-n-Out there also btw, along with the other usual fast food places.

Closing the vents doesnt work. That is some mighty strong ****.

54ny77
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Eh, Coalinga's nothing. That's just feedlot cow s&%!

Kettleman has bad stuff you CAN'T smell. Much worse.

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 04:24 PM
replaced by below post.

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Yup. I will stay in LA for a week. I will be living at my cousin's place in Laguna Niguel so I will take my family to see Shamu. Not sure if the zoo is worth a separate trip :)

They are both worth a full day but it's an easy 1 hour drive from LN. Lots of folks like to take young kids to Legoland in Carlsbad also.

Since you are staying in south Orange County do whatever is required to avoid LA rush hour because it is really BAD. FWIW there are a bunch of restaurants just off I-5 at Magic Mountain near Valencia and Hamburger Hamlet is my favorite. The food is quite good yet the place is kid-friendly. I'm guessing that you might be there around supper time. You might as well have a meal and relax and let a least some of rush hour pass. Then I'd continue on I-5 to I-405 (San Diego Freeway) which has more HOV lanes than I-5 through LA. It will be dark by 5pm so there's no reason to take PCH or other scenic routes.

tuxbailey
01-19-2012, 08:26 PM
They are both worth a full day but it's an easy 1 hour drive from LN. Lots of folks like to take young kids to Legoland in Carlsbad also.

Since you are staying in south Orange County do whatever is required to avoid LA rush hour because it is really BAD. FWIW there are a bunch of restaurants just off I-5 at Magic Mountain near Valencia and Hamburger Hamlet is my favorite. The food is quite good yet the place is kid-friendly. I'm guessing that you might be there around supper time. You might as well have a meal and relax and let a least some of rush hour pass. Then I'd continue on I-5 to I-405 (San Diego Freeway) which has more HOV lanes than I-5 through LA. It will be dark by 5pm so there's no reason to take PCH or other scenic routes.

Thanks! I thinking inching more and more about making time to go through PCH. If I have to spend time in the car, might as well be on the scenic route. Hopefully when I get to LA the rush hour will be over.

Ken Robb
01-19-2012, 09:32 PM
we are throwing around the term "PCH" and just to be clear: Rte 1 down the coast from Carmel to San Simeon is the most beautiful road I have ever been on. When traffic is light it is LOTS of FUN to drive. FWIW, after teaching high performance driving at Laguna Seca Raceway on Sat. and Sunday I and other instructors would spend Sunday night in Monterey so we could drive the coast road at dawn on Monday morning. The few locals who were out then would see us approaching from the rear would move over and wave us by so we didn't even have to make illegal passes to have safe, non-crazy fun.

tuxbailey
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I just returned from my West Coast trip. SF was pretty miserable (and cold) since it was raining for the whole weekend when I was there.

I was planning to drive down SR-1 but I checked caltrans before going and saw that SR-1 was closed near Lucia area (still closed.) So we decided to drive to Monterey and drive through the 17-mile drive. It was very nice. I then took 68 back to 101 and then cut across Rt 46 to I-5. The drive was pretty long. Since the day was turning dark by 5:30 there was no point of going through 101 to LA.

King City was indeed a speed trap. Thank you for the warning. It was the only place I saw cars being pulled over on my whole drive. I didn't drive through Coalinga so I didn't smell any local flavor there; but on I-5 near Bakersfield area something really stunk...like rotten eggs or worst.

But all in all it was a fun trip, my daughter had a great time in Disney and Sea World. I also visited the Getty Center which I thought was a great place to visit, specially during sunset seeing the Santa Monica bay.

I think I will plan the scenic drive next time I visit during summer when the day is longer.

Jaq
01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
The I-5 through the southern & central San Joaquin has lots of dairy farms, feed lots, etc., all there to be close to the freeway. The 99 freeway is actually a much better north-south route. Usually less traffic, plenty of places with 3 & even 4 lanes, and only one or two cattle/pig farms.

redir
01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Why do you guys on the left coast always say, "the 5" or "the 101". Whats with the 'the'? :beer:

Anyway, if you are gonna be out there spend the time to take 'the' rt 1, it's well worth it IMO.

Ken Robb
01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm guessing but it may be because The 10 is also called the Santa Monica Freeway, the 405 is also called the San Diego Freeway, etc.

MadRocketSci
02-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Why do you guys on the left coast always say, "the 5" or "the 101". Whats with the 'the'? :beer:

Anyway, if you are gonna be out there spend the time to take 'the' rt 1, it's well worth it IMO.

itsa SoCal thing...

sean
02-02-2012, 12:07 AM

Almost... Modify this a bit by taking the 152 across to the 101 through gilroy. That way you avoid the bridge and that crappy traffic. The GPS will say it's longer, but it will save you time.