PDA

View Full Version : New Ipad2

93legendti
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Well, new to me. I love my iPad. Last week my pc's hard drive crashed for the 2nd time in 6 months. I'm done with fragile, finicky pc's.
I ordered a refurbished iPad 2 from Apple on Friday. Shipped free and arrived today. $499 for 32gb model. Noticeably faster than my original.
It's a good day.

Aaron O
01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Adam...I'm starting courses for the first time in a good long while and laptops were not the standard when I last attended school. I'm trying to figure out what the best route for me is...do you think the iPad would be sufficient for class room notes? Is the screen/keyboard large enough? My laptop is a work machine and I don't want to mix those two worlds. I use office at work and Mac at home (I prefer Mac). I'm not sure if I'd be best served with a laptop, netbook or tablet and could use insight.

4Rings6Stars
01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I tried to convince my girlfriend not to get one because she didn't need it as she has a Macbook Pro and an Iphone...she has had it for about a month and now I'm convinced I NEED one too :o

I'm waiting for the release of the next generation, which is due this spring if I'm not mistaken.

4Rings6Stars
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Adam...I'm starting courses for the first time in a good long while. Laptops were not the standard when I last attended school. Do you think the iPad would be sufficient for class room notes? Is the screen/keyboard large enough?

Screen is definitely large enough but for taking notes you will want a real keyboard. The touchscreen keyboard is more than adequate for serotta foruming and texting, but for taking notes you will want some actual keys. They make lots of nice external keyboards though so it shouldn't be a problem.

thwart
01-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Pick up a refurb'd MacBook Air... tiny (but not too) and weighs about a pound or so more than the iPad. Mine has (only) 2 GB RAM, and yet is good for anything short of editing video.

Aaron O
01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Screen is definitely large enough but for taking notes you will want a real keyboard. The touchscreen keyboard is more than adequate for serotta foruming and texting, but for taking notes you will want some actual keys. They make lots of nice external keyboards though so it shouldn't be a problem.

By the time I'm trudging a keyboard around I'm not sure it makes sense...they also aren't much cheaper than the macbook airs (and no education discount!). I'm not sure I need much power...I have a quad 4 mac desktop at home so this probably won't do much more than get used in class.

saab2000
01-18-2012, 01:04 PM
My next iPad will be a MacBook Air. I like the iPad and all but I miss the keyboard when I use it.

It has its place in my world but I am not going to rush out the get the 3 when they are introduced.

Just my $.02.

Chuck Hammer
01-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Plenty of keyboards available for them... see attached link for a wireless keyboard with the case.

http://dealmac.com/Flashpoint-iKey-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Case-for-iPad-for-30-free-shipping/541315.html

93legendti
01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Aaron, Zagg makes a protective case fir the ipad that includes a key board. You can also use a keyboard via Bluetooth.

What sold me was when my lawyer and I were in a private facilitation last fall.
When we settled, my lawyer whipped out his ipad2 and drafted the settlement agreement right there on his ipad2's keyboard and printed via wifi at the 3rd party's office. I told him if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.
Later he took 3 weeks off out west to be at his first grandkids's birth. All he took was his ipad2 and I couldn't tell any difference in service.

I've got enough docs i uploaded thru icloud and stored in Pages on my ipad2 that very few docs would be drafted from scratch. If I had to do it, I think it would work fine for my needs. I've done it on my iPad enough.
Everyone is different. I'd try out one at your licks Apple store.
It's not for everyone.
I'm sick of replacing laptops and have had nothing but good luck and experiences with Apple products and service.

rice rocket
01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
saab2000: They make some pretty awesome convertible tablets nowadays outside of the Apple sandbox (I'm allowed to mock b/c I own a Mac, right?).

Asus Transformer Prime running Android 4.0. "Docking" it gives you 18 hours of battery life, a keyboard, and a whole bunch of ports, SD card reader, etc.

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ASUS-Transformer-Prime.jpg?139d23

Lenovo also debuted this at CES last week running a beta of Windows 8.

http://laptoping.com/wp-content/uploads/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Yoga.jpg

Aaron O
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Aaron, Zagg makes a protective case fir the ipad that includes a key board. You can also use a keyboard via Bluetooth.

What sold me was when my lawyer and I were in a private facilitation last fall.
When we settled, my lawyer whipped out his ipad2 and drafted the settlement agreement right there on his ipad2's keyboard and printed via wifi at the 3rd party's office. I told him if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.
Later he took 3 weeks off out west to be at his first grandkids's birth. All he took was his ipad2 and I couldn't tell any difference in service.

I've got enough docs i uploaded thru icloud and stored in Pages on my ipad2 that very few docs would be drafted from scratch. If I had to do it, I think it would work fine for my needs. I've done it on my iPad enough.
Everyone is different. I'd try out one at your licks Apple store.
It's not for everyone.
I'm sick of replacing laptops and have had nothing but good luck and experiences with Apple products and service.

I'm completely with you on Apple's service...I think that's the main reason I like Apple so much. When it comes down to tech stats and performance, the droids and iPhones are all pretty much the same. The difference for me is that with an iPhone I can deal with Apple...with Droids I'm back to dealing with AT&T or SamsunHPorolla.

I think I'm going to hit the Apple store and see how things feel. Good call. I'm biking to class from work with a textbook and NY lock, so I'd like to keep weight down.

saab2000
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
saab2000: They make some pretty awesome convertible tablets nowadays outside of the Apple sandbox (I'm allowed to mock b/c I own a Mac, right?).

Asus Transformer Prime running Android 4.0. "Docking" it gives you 18 hours of battery life, a keyboard, and a whole bunch of ports, SD card reader, etc.

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ASUS-Transformer-Prime.jpg?139d23

I just bought a Motorola Droid Razr. It's great for some folks but I'm not into the Android system. I am totally not a computer guy and am not savvy on this stuff.

I greatly prefer the total Apple integration for my own usage. Steve Jobs was right - it is about the end user experience for some folks.

With bikes I'm totally hands-on and into the tech. With computers not so much. I just want it to work and my iPad works great. It's just that I prefer the laptop and the operating system on the laptop. My next phone will be another iPhone. Tried Android. Not for me.

Great to have choice.

zap
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
ipad 3 is in production................

rwsaunders
01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I drank the iPad Kool Aid and I'm hooked. It's not a total computer solution but it sure handles 80% of what I need to do on a pc. Lightweight, long battery life and easy to set up on a network. Did I hear someone say that Apple service was outstanding? I second that motion.

Aaron O
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
RW - in your opinion, would the 80% be good enough, in conjunction with a powerful home system, to serve as a class machine?

I'm actually leaning towards the 4ring solution now of an iPad with keyboard.

rwsaunders
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
RW - in your opinion, would the 80% be good enough, in conjunction with a powerful home system, to serve as a class machine?

No question, Aaron as I work remotely all over the country, with a desktop at home when I need it. Spreadsheet work and heavy duty word processing are the downside. Other than that, general email, project management (we use a pm/accounting software package that sings on the iPad), web surfing, video viewing and music are the unit's strong points IMHO.

firerescuefin
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Late to the convo, but been doing MBA homework all day with my Ipad/bluetooth keyboard/case and Microsoft Office for Mac....works great, and all of my textbooks are on there as well.

Aaron O
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Late to the convo, but been doing MBA homework all day with my Ipad/bluetooth keyboard/case and Microsoft Office for Mac....works great, and all of my textbooks are on there as well.

Thanks gang! I wanted to buy an eTextbook, but the program called for a package with the textbook, some software and an online program. Buying the online program access and software they require was more expensive separately than buying the complete package.

I'm not crazy about the idea of buying an iPad2 with the 3's release date so close, but I need something. Most of the reports I've read also suggest the 3 is likely to be an incremental change rather than a reboot.

benb
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM

So we (my wife and I) have both one of these Transformers (the original, not the new Prime), and an iPad 2...

The Transformer is definitely going to be more productive for anything resembling work because it can really be both a laptop or a tablet. I absolutely love mine, and I literally never use the iPad 2 unless it's right there in front of me, and the transformer is upstairs or something. The iPad keyboard solutions are incredibly clumsy compared to the Transformer.

The Caveat is the iPad is the giant 800lb gorilla in the room. There is next to no "real" software that the iPad has that the Android tablets don't, but if someone was to "require" an iPad for a class there is no way the Transformer would cut it, because it would probably mean the school had developed proprietary iPad-only software for the course.

Of course this is hypothetical.. usually when a school has oddball software like this, it's Windows software, and the Mac, or an iPad, or a Linux PC, or an Android device will all be the ones left out in the cold.

That is the other thing.. there are a lot of Windows laptops that work perfectly fine for school use and cost less then a loaded up iPad, a Transformer Prime + keyboard dock, or a Macbook Air.

That new Transformer is sexy like the iPad 2, but it has a lot of issues the original one didn't.. the Wifi range sucks, and the GPS is hopelessly broken.. the real awesome one will be the 3rd one.. they're fixing the wireless issues and the screen is 1980x1200... but I'd imagine by then the iPad 3 will also be available.

It is frankly impossible to imagine either of these being useful for a college program over a Mac or a PC though.. software for both Android and especially iPad is *incredibly* dumbed down compared to PC/Mac, and I don't associate dumbed down computer usage with college courses. I'd guess 99% of the stuff I had to do for coursework in college is on the "banned" list as far as Apple is concerned. (But all 100% allowed on the Mac)

jerome
01-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I tried to convince my girlfriend not to get one because she didn't need it as she has a Macbook Pro and an Iphone...she has had it for about a month and now I'm convinced I NEED one too :o

I'm waiting for the release of the next generation, which is due this spring if I'm not mistaken.

The iPad is an introduction to the future you need one more than anything else don't be outpaced
Get the opportunity to rad more to study more.

I love mine (the fact is that I am an Apple fanatic a S. Jobs fan).

jerome
01-18-2012, 03:47 PM
what is it ?
a gadget in all aspect
when you buy an iPad you get more than a piece of hard wear, and the iPad has no comparison.

So we (my wife and I) have both one of these Transformers (the original, not the new Prime), and an iPad 2...

The Transformer is definitely going to be more productive for anything resembling work because it can really be both a laptop or a tablet. I absolutely love mine, and I literally never use the iPad 2 unless it's right there in front of me, and the transformer is upstairs or something. The iPad keyboard solutions are incredibly clumsy compared to the Transformer.

The Caveat is the iPad is the giant 800lb gorilla in the room. There is next to no "real" software that the iPad has that the Android tablets don't, but if someone was to "require" an iPad for a class there is no way the Transformer would cut it, because it would probably mean the school had developed proprietary iPad-only software for the course.

Of course this is hypothetical.. usually when a school has oddball software like this, it's Windows software, and the Mac, or an iPad, or a Linux PC, or an Android device will all be the ones left out in the cold.

That is the other thing.. there are a lot of Windows laptops that work perfectly fine for school use and cost less then a loaded up iPad, a Transformer Prime + keyboard dock, or a Macbook Air.

That new Transformer is sexy like the iPad 2, but it has a lot of issues the original one didn't.. the Wifi range sucks, and the GPS is hopelessly broken.. the real awesome one will be the 3rd one.. they're fixing the wireless issues and the screen is 1980x1200... but I'd imagine by then the iPad 3 will also be available.

It is frankly impossible to imagine either of these being useful for a college program over a Mac or a PC though.. software for both Android and especially iPad is *incredibly* dumbed down compared to PC/Mac, and I don't associate dumbed down computer usage with college courses. I'd guess 99% of the stuff I had to do for coursework in college is on the "banned" list as far as Apple is concerned. (But all 100% allowed on the Mac)

93legendti
01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks gang! I wanted to buy an eTextbook, but the program called for a package with the textbook, some software and an online program. Buying the online program access and software they require was more expensive separately than buying the complete package.

I'm not crazy about the idea of buying an iPad2 with the 3's release date so close, but I need something. Most of the reports I've read also suggest the 3 is likely to be an incremental change rather than a reboot.
Take a look at the refurbished prices on Apples's website. You can get an original iPad for $399. I did.

Aaron O
01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
So it all ended up a moot point...the course is in a computer lab in front of a desktop and electronic gadgets are banned (other than a calculator).

Thanks for the suggestions folks...I'm going to hold out for the iPad 3.

gomango
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
I spend my day with 12 year olds.

34 of them to be exact.

Yep, I'm a middle school teacher.

Some think this qualifies me for sainthood. :)

In all my years of teaching, nothing has excited my students more than an iPad2.

I happen to have 6 of these iPad 2s available at all times for my students, and they are attracted to these as if there were magnets in the devices.

This has been a real innovation/time saver in the classroom for me.

In fact, I have one for professional use at school, and I also have an iPad2 at home.

I am on the couch right now typing this on one.

I must say though, nothing has beaten my Macbook Air for daily use. I bought one on CL. It was in like new condition and I assume someone may have been trying to make rent. I gave them a decent price and haven't looked back since.

If you are going to do any serious word processing, I would pick one up.

The ergos on the iPad are ok, and get better with a Zagg Mate, but still nowhere close to the Air.

I also use a grading program that has a robust database with hot links to family's email addresses and this has less than stellar performance on the iPad.

So, to answer the question, I bought both, and will update to the 3 promptly when it is released.

Probably give my 2 to my boys at home here.

jlwdm
01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Gomango, +1

I think the ipad 2 is great for a many things, but I do a lot of typing and the MacBook Air 13 is marvelous when you are doing a lot of typing. Although I am typing this on my Lenovo T420s laptop.

Jeff

572cv
01-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Typing on the iPad2 isn't too bad with a little practice. I want basic to try it out and found that the keypad, while potentially a plus, wasn't needed for my purposes. I have a MacBook pro for work, but the iPad is enough to travel with. A really good tool.

Fixed
01-19-2012, 07:36 AM
so easy to use even fixed has one
cheers

what case do you use ?
i have magnet leather face cover
i like my otter case on my iphone so i am thinking about the otter

Wayne77
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's my take. A little long, but here it is anyway:

I have a son recently diagnosed with Autism 5 months ago. The iPad is a revolutionary device in this respect. We have so many Autism "apps" (many of them recommended by experts) that have helped our little kiddo progress in communication/development in leaps and bounds. He _loves_ our iPad. The world people with Autism live in is so much about color, texture, and sound, it's no surprise that a device that encourages tactile interaction would work so well. It really is fascinating to watch my kid use it. Kids with Autism can outwardly appear to have a lower intelligence level. Not true. They are incredibly smart and it's wonderful to see a device that allows them to display that, and learn to communicate better so they can enhance their lives and the lives of others with those talents.

Prior to the tablet, many kids with more extreme forms of Autism had to use a $2000-3000 device that was essentially 1980's technology that allowed the user to type in letters and sympbols to communicate with others. Horray for progress. An iPad easily does all that for $400, but is also a developmental device. Not to put the guy on a pedestal or anything, and I'm not sure Steve Jobs anticipated this kind of practical application, but as parents we are indeed thankful for his creativity and vision.

iPads (or tablets in general) are really changing everything about the way people interact with a computing device. Laptops will always have their place in the corporate world, for power users, higher ed, etc. But the iPad (and all the other me-too tablets, some of them pretty good) are just so much more interactive, tactile, and involved. Apple get's it and everyone else is playing catch up. Ergonomics, how a device _feels_ in your hand, and the interface mean everything to the end user. iPads, as a piece of HW, just feel so nice to hold and use. People go into Apple stores just to caress the devices! I can't argue with a laptop for any power user, but for the other 80% out there, a tablet is so much nicer to use. You can curl up anywhere with one, on the couch, in bed, etc etc (not so fun with a laptop). With almost all pc-based laptops, you still feel like you're using Microsoft 90's era technology, bulky, archaic mouse interaction, outdated file system, errors, blah blah blah. I do agree the Apple mac books really fill a gap here..very nice.

"Dumbed-Down" is not the right term. It's all about "Simplicity". Simple is good. The problem with so many retail electronic goods is that manufacturers try to pack in so many features, most of them designed for the 1% vocal minority, that the devices are a mess of buttons, convoluted interfaces, and build quality takes a dive: plastic plastic plastic. I think Apple is designing products for the largely silent majority. Most just want a device that is built to last, simple, easy to use, and doesn't throw a blue screen of death if you do something wrong.

BTW, I have no trouble with the iPad keyboard. Once you get used to it, you can type blazingly fast. Spring loaded buttons/keys are so last decade. IMO of course! :beer:

tannhauser
01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Anyone use Google Docs to mod Word/Excel and, if so, what does the workplace have to do to integrate. Way too much emailing of the same doc going around here...

slowandsteady
01-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Can you use this office suite on the iPad? How? I have it on my )new) iMac and would love to be able to use it on my iPad as well...

rwsaunders
01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Anyone use Google Docs to mod Word/Excel and, if so, what does the workplace have to do to integrate. Way too much emailing of the same doc going around here...

I've been using Apple's "Pages" and "Numbers" apps. Both convert to Word and Excel and visa versa, but I don't like doing spreadsheet work without a mouse...just my opinion.

Aaron O
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I have iWorks on my desk top and there have been some documents that didn't translate smoothly between worlds. I'd imagine the iPad would have the same issues.

I think I read that office is developing ipad software.

Fixed
01-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I've been using Apple's "Pages" and "Numbers" apps. Both convert to Word and Excel and visa versa,
i use pages too
cheers

93legendti
01-23-2012, 06:11 AM
I'm struggling to find a case that I like. What are you guys using for a case?

gomango
01-23-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm struggling to find a case that I like. What are you guys using for a case?

My wife uses the "Hard Candy" Street Skin and I use the "Hard Candy" bubble.

We carry our iPads for professional use every day and we need something that is durable and not totally geeky.

These are both just right for us.

http://www.hardcandycases.com/apple-ipad-2-cases.html

sjbraun
01-23-2012, 07:10 AM
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3068&product_name=Wake%20Up%20Folio

Same price as the Apple cover, but the Choix sleeve comes with a full back.

Numbers for the iPad?? I found it to be a real pain to use.

MS needs to swallow its pride and produce an Office suite for the iPad.

Elefantino
01-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Many people I know have gotten iPads, even those who already have laptops.

My boss carries her iPad everywhere. In meetings, I can't tell if she's taking notes or playing games. She has a good poker face.

Me, I'm hoping than when the iPad 3 comes out, the prices for Campy 10-speed stuff will drop significantly ... and I'll be able to pick up that Record mid-cage derailleur I want for real cheap. :banana:

93legendti
01-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Great case suggestions. Thanks guys.

firerescuefin
01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Survivor-Extreme-duty-BLACK-GB02480/dp/B004SPVZKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327330274&sr=8-1

Wanted to add the Griffin Survivor case...which although not sexy has held up for me in some very austere outside environments...and to my 3 year old and 18 month old. It was built to Milspec...meaning designed according to needs they set forth for the company.

93legendti
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Survivor-Extreme-duty-BLACK-GB02480/dp/B004SPVZKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327330274&sr=8-1

Wanted to add the Griffin Survivor case...which although not sexy has held up for me in some very austere outside environments...and to my 3 year old and 18 month old. It was built to Milspec...meaning designed according to needs they set forth for the company.
I saw that one- it looks similar to the Otterbox Defender I have on my first iPad. Great protection, but a little bulky and adds too much weight to hold comfortably. How bulky is the Griffin?

firerescuefin
01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
I saw that one- it looks similar to the Otterbox Defender I have on my first iPad. Great protection, but a little bulky and adds too much weight to hold comfortably. How bulky is the Griffin?

I didn't think it was much at all. You do lose the sexiness of the IPAD2 for sure. They have them at Best Buy if you want to take a look or try it out. If you look online, it has gotten rave reviews and is currently considered best in class over the otterbox.

93legendti
01-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I didn't think it was much at all. You do lose the sexiness of the IPAD2 for sure. They have them at Best Buy if you want to take a look or try it out. If you look online, it has gotten rave reviews and is currently considered best in class over the otterbox.
Cool. Best Buy is nearby. I'll check it out. Thanks.

93legendti
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I ordered a Hard Candy Bubble and Griffin Survivor from Amazon. I'm sure one will fit the bill. Thanks again guys.

gomango
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I ordered a Hard Candy Bubble and Griffin Survivor from Amazon. I'm sure one will fit the bill. Thanks again guys.

No problem.

FWIW It snowed here today, and on the way into our school I slipped and dropped my iPad in the "Bubble" protected case.

No injuries to report! :)

fred2ride
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
499$ expensive :bike:

93legendti
01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
No problem.

FWIW It snowed here today, and on the way into our school I slipped and dropped my iPad in the "Bubble" protected case.

No injuries to report! :)
Good endorsement. :)

weisan
01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know whether the Griffin will fit a HP touchpad?

93legendti
01-28-2012, 01:58 PM
The Griffin and Bubble cases showed up today. I am trying the Griffin first. It's slimmer and the camera is available. It's also slimmer and lighter than an Otterbox Defender. So far, I'm really liking it.

Thanks again guys.

weisan
02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I have checked with Griffin, the Survivor series does not support Touchpad.

But has anyone tried it on for size, does it fit?

Fixed
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
i have the Griffin Survivor case it works great for me
i had to get a camera adapter the mac camera adapter is to wide to fit in the
griffin slot
cheers

weisan
02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
fixed-pal, is that an ipad or HP touchpad you got there?

Fixed
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
fixed-pal, is that an ipad or HP touchpad you got there?
ipad 2
cheers

beungood
02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Ive been interested after seeing deals on them. I am just not sure whether to wait for ipad3 or when a 4g/lte comes out. Anyone have any information on the ipad/ipad 2 wifi 3g att or verizon models? comparison of Att and verizon 3g ?

rwsaunders
02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Ive been interested after seeing deals on them. I am just not sure whether to wait for ipad3 and or when a 4g/lte comes out. Anyone have any information on the ipad/ipad 2 wifi 3g att or verizom models? comparison of Att and verizon 3g ?

I have the iPad 2 with AT&T's 3G service. Get their month to month plan so you're not locked in, as I end up using wifi 99% of the time. The machine is great and my Mac Book Pro is jealous....

rbtmcardle
02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
AT&T for me, solely because I can still use the 3G when I travel overseas, can't do that with Verizon.. Most times I am on Wifi so I don't worry so much about cell service here, plus in the northeast AT&T seems to have decent service.