PDA

View Full Version : another ride plan from BEN>.....it is on Serotta.Com and lower left

Pete Serotta
01-18-2012, 08:17 AM
"2012 will be a year of riding well. Sounds like a New Year resolution I know, but it’s not”¦ I think I’ve waited long enough after the New Year struck to say so in the belief that resolutions made within a couple days of the New Year itself have a very low success rate and it’s important to me that this commitment sticks.

Of course I ride every year, but this year is a little different as it marks Serotta, the company's 40th year. From a personal perspective, it’s time to pay special homage to what cycling means to me. Joy from the purity of freedom of mobility, elation at accomplishing something that previously felt unachievable, getting to take in the world at a slow pace or conversely experience the raw primordial rush of speed all to be experienced in blissful solitude or shared in great camaraderie ; these are the rewards of being a cyclist.

This year I’m going to make it a point of sampling every flavor at least once in a meaningful way. It’s a ride-bucket-list and I’ll share it with you over the next few weeks”¦.perhaps you’ll join me on one of these rides or maybe you’ll share a suggestion that’s on your own ride list for the year”¦

Great Idea # 1. The Great European Grand Tour. From opposite coasts and opposite ends of the bicycle spectrum Bill McCready/ Santana tandems founder, owner, keeper of the flame and I have enjoyed a friendly relationship of mutual respect and admiration”¦.and general belief that the core of our businesses is about creating joy- for ourselves and to bring to others. In recent years I’ve heard from a growing number of Bill’s clients (and from Bill himself) about the fabulous trips that he and his wife Jan have been creating for friends and clients”¦.and about a year ago we started asking each other, why not extend the opportunity to, you know, ”˜normal’ cyclists (people who are riding bicycles built for one)”¦we also came to realize that many of our customers are shared. When Bill forwarded his trip info that utilizes a luxury river boat as its travelling home base he got my (and Marcie’s) attention”¦this is something we’ve got to do! From go hard conquests of the countryside to tranquil rolls (or strolls) along the river this trip has had great reviews”¦.and it’s on my hit list”¦and I encourage you to take a look:"

http://www.serotta.com/2012/1/78/Ride++Joy.html

Great Euro Adventure

Pete Serotta
01-18-2012, 08:22 AM
I will be regularly watching for BEN's plans here and :hello: :hello:

He has been known to also drink some red or even beer. :beer: Yeah, I have been known to also have some

PETE

ergott
01-18-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm assuming that is Ben's blog?

Pete Serotta
01-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm assuming that is Ben's blog?

sorry I was not clear. PETE

ergott
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I just recommended D2R2.

I would kill to see Ben riding one of his Pave models on that ride.

Pete Serotta
01-18-2012, 08:37 AM
I just recommended D2R2.

I would kill to see Ben riding one of his Pave models on that ride.

afterwards naturally. PETE

ergott
01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
I'll build him some killer pave wheels for his bike.

:beer:

RedRider
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Ergott, Money no object...what would you spec for the ultimate D2R2 wheel?

Smiley
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I just heard from Bill McCready whom we call a friend and he told me that Ben and Marcie would be doing this popular tour, good for them and my question is on a Tandem ?? Anyway I can't say enough good things about Santana tandem tours as we have done ALOT of them and our most recent was last year in Chattanoga TN and most memorable one being in Mallorca Spain.

Those of you that asked about WHY S&S coupled bikes and tandems will learn quickly how nice it is to have one. Lastly I WOULD NEVER SPEND THIS KIND OF MONEY ON A TOUR AND NOT TAKE MY PERSONAL BIKE. The freaking down hills alone were more fun when I knew how my bike would behave :)

This is a very popular Santana trip on the river boats.

ergott
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Ergott, Money no object...what would you spec for the ultimate D2R2 wheel?

Alchemy hubs
ENVE Composites 25mm rims
Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Wheelsmith DB14s for the rear, drive side
28 2x front and 28 2/3X rear (spokes/pattern)
FMB Paris Roubaix 27mm tires

That will handle the bumps and ride like a dream.

:beer:

surfbikeswim
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
On our coupled tandem going from Budapest to Black Sea. We did another one with Santana using the same boat company on the Danube from Paris to Amsterdam and had a great time. Last time they had an option to pick up people from the airport so that made transporting non-coupled tandems a little easier.

Cheers
Ian

Ti Designs
01-18-2012, 07:21 PM
May I suggest and Ed-venture? I have no sense of direction at all, so I go out and get lost. Starting from my house in Arlington MA, I often find myself in NH, sometimes in RI, once or twice in VT. Talk about sampling every flavor, I've been know to stop at a dozen ice cream stands on a single ride. You may want to bring lights, there's no telling when we'll get back. Could be 25 miles, could be 200. Just let me know when you want to go.