PDA

View Full Version : Anyone coming to NAHBS?

akelman
01-18-2012, 01:02 AM
It's just around the corner, so let me know if you're planning to attend.

Louis
01-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Not this year. I drove to Indy when it was there, but decided to stay home this time. Next year if it's to be held somewhere closer to home I'd consider going again. IMO the people are more fun than the bikes.

Dr. Sparrow
01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
I wish them well but this year could be the start of a big down turn for them. The NAHBS chatter across all the forums has been way down this year.

kohlboto
01-18-2012, 07:48 AM
If I can juggle some points for the flight, I am in like Flynn...

akelman
01-18-2012, 07:51 AM
If I can juggle some points for the flight, I am in like Flynn...

I'm pretty sure we ride the same(ish) size bikes. If you come, you're welcome to borrow something while you're here. The DeSalvo may be reserved, but one of the others is yours to use if you want it.

kohlboto
01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the gracious offer, Ari. I would really like that. My preliminary travel plans put me in Sacramento Friday night and departing Sunday morning. Can one spend a full day at NAHBS? or is a half-day show/half-day ride the better approach on a limited schedule? Having never been, I'm trying to imagine the scope and scale of the show...

Pete Serotta
01-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Going to Tucson with Colorado Heart tours in March and Santa Rosa end of APRIL with NJ/NC friends.. :bike:

texbike
01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
I was excited last year when they announced that the event was going to be in Sacramento for 2012. Unfortunately the dates coincide with a significant wedding anniversary and a lengthy business trip the week before. :(

So...no go this year. Maybe they'll bring it back to Austin for 2013? :)

Texbike

Karin Kirk
01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Can one spend a full day at NAHBS?

Oh yes, for sure! A common comment is that the show is too big, too much to see. You can definitely stay busy for a full day and then some.

akelman
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the gracious offer, Ari. I would really like that. My preliminary travel plans put me in Sacramento Friday night and departing Sunday morning. Can one spend a full day at NAHBS? or is a half-day show/half-day ride the better approach on a limited schedule? Having never been, I'm trying to imagine the scope and scale of the show...

I'm told that Friday is the best day, by far, to take in the show. It's less crowded and the exhibitors have more time to chat. Given that, if you can change your plans and get here Friday morning, that might be the way to go. Then, if the weather is at all decent Saturday, we can can plan a long ride.

akelman
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Pete and tex, I'm sorry you won't be here. Bummer.

texbike
01-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Have fun for us Ari! :)

Texbike

Uncle Jam's Army
01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I am certainly uncertain that I'll be there... at least I'm pretty sure I am.

tiretrax
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
I wish I could make it - I'll be returning from a business trip all week to celebrate my daughter's birthday on 3/2. I couldn't get away again that quickly.

Like Texbike, I vote for Austin again in 2013. I always enjoy riding there.

wooly
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm in. Let's hook it up!

David Kirk
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I'll be there. I hope we can once again have a forum dinner. is there interest in that?

dave

ckamp
01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I will be coming in from BC for the Saturday, and perhaps the Sunday :beer:

ultratoad
01-18-2012, 11:14 AM
No way I would miss it.... Going all days.... Oh boy....

akelman
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I'll be there. I hope we can once again have a forum dinner. is there interest in that?

dave

I think that would be incredibly fun, Dave.

akelman
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm in. Let's hook it up!

In addition to the dinner that Dave suggests above, I'm also wondering if people might be interested in a group ride, perhaps Saturday midday or Sunday morning. Riding straight out of Sacramento is only okay, as it's a big(ish) city and a flat one to boot. So I'm thinking that people might want to meet up at the US Cycling Hall of Fame (http://www.usbhof.org/), which is in Davis, and then head from there west into the coast range. There's a very nice ride, about a fifty miler, that's doable in three-four hours. That said, people might prefer to spend their time in the exhibit halls. I don't really know. If the ride appeals, though, I'm happy to ferry as many as four people and their bikes from Sacramento to Davis and back.

SamIAm
01-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I think my wife and I will plan to make it, maybe put it at the front or back of a little side trip to wine country.

cuda2k
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Not looking likely for me this year. I went to Austin this past year, and am still saving to pay off what that trip yielded. Not sure if I could avoid putting another deposit down if I went again without first having my Kirk Frameworks in my hand. Instead going to save the vacation time and take some time off in mid-April to get as many miles as possible on the new ride.

Pete Serotta
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM

I just have too many places on the "want". List. And wish that I could see everyone there. pete

Ahneida Ride
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
If you can go .... don't miss NAHBS ! :beer:

wooly
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
In addition to the dinner that Dave suggests above, I'm also wondering if people might be interested in a group ride, perhaps Saturday midday or Sunday morning. Riding straight out of Sacramento is only okay, as it's a big(ish) city and a flat one to boot. So I'm thinking that people might want to meet up at the US Cycling Hall of Fame (http://www.usbhof.org/), which is in Davis, and then head from there west into the coast range. There's a very nice ride, about a fifty miler, that's doable in three-four hours. That said, people might prefer to spend their time in the exhibit halls. I don't really know. If the ride appeals, though, I'm happy to ferry as many as four people and their bikes from Sacramento to Davis and back.

That would be great. I am driving up with two friends and staying in SF where my folks have a place. Bringing our bikes. That ride sounds like a great time. Thinking about hitting the exhibits on Friday so a ride on Saturday would be nice. How far is Davis from SF? Long drive?

Ron

jds108
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm just a little wallflower here on the forum, but it would be great to get to meet a few of the folks here. If anybody starts putting together a dinner/drinks for the forum folks, I'll definitely make it for that. -Jeff

Peter B
01-18-2012, 10:55 PM
That would be great. I am driving up with two friends and staying in SF where my folks have a place. Bringing our bikes. That ride sounds like a great time. Thinking about hitting the exhibits on Friday so a ride on Saturday would be nice. How far is Davis from SF? Long drive?

Ron

Ron,

Davis is about 75-90 minutes from SF depending on start point, time of day and traffic.

The Davis Bike Club is running their 200k on Saturday March 3 (http://www.davisbikeclub.org/annual_events/ultra-distance-brevets-randonneuring/brevet_series/2012_brevet_series). The route is out and back from Davis to Pope Valley in Napa County. It runs about 17 miles across the flat valley to Winters before crossing into Napa County and climbing Cardiac up past Lake Berryessa. The route turns to continue north on Hwy 128 at Moskowite Corner and then north again onto Chiles Valley Rd as you head up towards the turnaround in Pope Valley.

It's a rural ride that is quite pretty once you leave Winters. Total climbing is about 5,000'. I'll be out there fixed unless it pours. I'm planning to spend the day Friday at the show.

If folks want a more challenging ride I might be talked into hosting some more serious climbing up my way, perhaps on Sunday.

bart998
01-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I am going but I can't be there until Saturday morning. I thought maybe on Sunday I would get in a ride from Granite Bay to Pilot Hill and Auburn, around Folsom Lake. That's about 45 miles with two major climbs. I used to live in the area.

benitosan1972
01-19-2012, 01:00 AM
I planned to ride to NAHBS from the Bay Area.
Not sure where I'm gonna stay yet, prolly just motel it.
I've been to a few of these (SJ, PDX), I wanna catch another one
before it goes far away back to TX or IN. If Friday is best day, then I'll
ride on Thursday, stay Friday, hangout Saturday, and ride home Sunday? It's about 120-140 miles each way, right? 6-7 hours non-stop. Please have a cold beer waiting for me, haha. :beer:

Peter B
01-19-2012, 01:18 AM
I planned to ride to NAHBS from the Bay Area.
Not sure where I'm gonna stay yet, prolly just motel it.
I've been to a few of these (SJ, PDX), I wanna catch another one
before it goes far away back to TX or IN. If Friday is best day, then I'll
ride on Thursday, stay Friday, hangout Saturday, and ride home Sunday? It's about 120-140 miles each way, right? 6-7 hours non-stop. Please have a cold beer waiting for me, haha. :beer:

The ride across the valley floor from SF is boring (and occasionally dangerous) by the most direct (fastest) routes and noticeably longer than 6 hours by the nicer ones. You might consider Bart to Richmond and catch Amtrak to the Davis or Sacramento station, then ride to the show.

There are quality miles east of town, up either the 50 or 80 corridor.

fogrider
01-19-2012, 01:51 AM
I don't have all day and want to get in some riding and go to the show on Sat. I'm thinking of getting an early start and driving up to Davis and riding into the show and back.

Peter B
01-19-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't have all day and want to get in some riding and go to the show on Sat. I'm thinking of getting an early start and driving up to Davis and riding into the show and back.

Depending on your origin another option might be to drive to Granite Bay/Beale's Point and jump on the American River Bike Trail. It's about 33 miles to downtown Sacramento. You could shorten that by driving up Hwy 50 to Hazel Ave or Sunrise Blvd and ride the trail down from there. There's parking at all 3 locations. It's a pretty route, essentially flat and lightly traveled in the colder season.