PDA

View Full Version : Zero G Brakes?

tlittlefield
01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyone have any experience with these, pros and cons...

oldpotatoe
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Anyone have any experience with these, pros and cons...

When they were new, we sold a fair amount but altho light, not real strong braking, finicky to set up, not a lot of arm movement with the teeny
'QR'.

Considering Zero G weight 'savings' and $, I think Campagnolo or shimano brakes a far better choice. Any level.

jds108
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
One of mine has been back at their place since October for a repair. They said they'd ship it back in November, but no sign yet. Ask me in a few days as I'm just about to contact them (again) asking where it's at.

They work just fine in my opinion, better than old fashioned sidepulls but nowhere near like any dual pivot. Adjustment range is a bit narrow but I haven't ever had issues with them (until the return spring popped out and then wouldn't stay in place.)

Bruce K
01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Other than the finicky setup I had no issues with mine

I am still running them on some of my bikes

BK

JLP
01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
I got a complete bike from a member here that came with those brakes. They have been great for me. I run pretty narrow (25mm) tires on that bike with campy levers, so the quick release issue above isn't a problem.

They are plenty strong for me with aluminum rims.

ThasFACE
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
They work just fine but they feel a bit gummy when operated.

Steve in SLO
01-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I have about 8K miles of mostly climbing (and therefore descending) on a Tarmac, and they work really well even with stock brake pads. I weigh +/- 185# so I'm no pixie. Pretty good stopping power for me, despite what others have said. I ride Campy dual pivots and Mavic SSCs as well. These are near (90-95%) the equal of either.

godfrey1112000
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
When they were new, we sold a fair amount but altho light, not real strong braking, finicky to set up, not a lot of arm movement with the teeny
'QR'.

Considering Zero G weight 'savings' and $, I think Campagnolo or shimano brakes a far better choice. Any level.

+1, that why I stayed with Shimano

Jack Brunk
01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
For me they were the worst brakes I've ever used. I will never place a set on a bike of mine again unless there's a huge improvement in stopping power with carbon rims.

fogrider
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
I've been using zero gs with carbon rims for a about 16 months and a couple of years with aluminum rims. I live in san francisco with many hills and find the zero gs to be enough stopping power. the best thing is the modulation. I know lots of people like to have the most braking power every time they touch the levers, but I think dura ace brakes are too grabby and light action; great for long descents and going slow.

I was descending with a group and as we came on a fast turn, everyone grabbed the brakes at the last moment, I slowed about 1 second earlier. but when they grabbed the brakes, their speed dropped to about 20 mph...I must have still been going 25 (manageable for the turn) and had to take an inside line around them. I was using campy delta brakes, the same brakes on this turn. Powerful brakes are overrated, modulation and feel in my opinion is more important.

Louis
01-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Powerful brakes are overrated, modulation and feel in my opinion is more important.

I agree. Even my old single-pivot brakes can lock up my wheels. The key is being able to get as much energy extraction without skidding, and good modulation is the best way to get there.

AngryScientist
01-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Powerful brakes are overrated, modulation and feel in my opinion is more important.

i also agree, and think its all about learning the feel of different brakes. coming from record or dura ace dual pivots to ZG brakes, one might think they are less powerful, or mushy or whatever, but once you get used to how they work and feel, you're golden.

almost any brake can lock up a road bike wheel.

zap
01-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Riding zero g brakes (with Campy Record) for gosh-5 years.

Easy to setup (just take care of the details) and work just fine with carbon rims. Not the most powerful brakes but they haul me down from 50+mph to zero umpteen times in shorter distances than most of my cycling peers.

I understand the newer brakes with thicker arms are a bit more powerful.

Charles M
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
They sell three different kinds...

Which are we supposed to be ranting/ raving about?

tlittlefield
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
No, Zero G is the name of the model that Ciamillo sells that I am interested in. The other two are Negative G (same as the Zero's but without the Ti hardware) and the Gavitas which have a lot of carbon in them.

SPOKE
01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I've got 2 sets of the Negative "G's" NIB. Still waiting for a new project to use them on.

54ny77
01-18-2012, 09:43 PM
anyone have the all carbon version?

wonder if they work as swank as they look?

jbrainin
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
anyone have the all carbon version?

wonder if they work as swank as they look?

I have 'em on two bikes and they have worked extremely well for me.

jbrainin
01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I've got 2 sets of the Negative "G's" NIB. Still waiting for a new project to use them on.

Hmm, when spring come and the Fireflys come out, I may be looking for a pair of those!

jbrainin
01-18-2012, 10:43 PM
No, Zero G is the name of the model that Ciamillo sells that I am interested in. The other two are Negative G (same as the Zero's but without the Ti hardware) and the Gavitas which have a lot of carbon in them.

Negative G's are a different brake than the Zero G. They're a bit stouter and have improved modulation while adding a small bit of weight. I prefer them to Zero G's.

DKM
01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I have the gravitas (all carbon version) and im 224lbs on a 13.2lbs bike and they stop me well. Its all in the initial setup.

dave

zap
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM

The Negative G brakes are beefier and available with tuned, ss or ti hardware. From what I have read, Negative G is an improvement over Zero G.

http://cycling.ciamillo.com/