PDA

View Full Version : base layers, please explain why...

laupsi
01-17-2012, 09:42 AM
don't get me wrong, when the weather turns cold and ugly outdoors I suit up w/multiple layers. what I don't understand is the need to purchase additional "base layer" clothing when simply wearing multiple jerseys does the trick? :confused:

FlashUNC
01-17-2012, 09:44 AM
They help wick sweat away from the body, a must when riding, imo.

I wear a baselayer on all but the hottest of days.

AngryScientist
01-17-2012, 09:44 AM
sweat is one mechanism your body uses to cool itself off.

when you work hard on the bike, you sweat, a base layer is designed to get that sweat away from your body so it doesnt cool you down too far or cause chafing issues.

c-record
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
The fit is much better/more comfortable than layering jerseys. Some also have some compression effect if you like that on the torso. I started years ago and have continued to wear a bl on about every ride, summer included.

nooneline
01-17-2012, 10:01 AM
mostly sweatwicking. if the sweat's not pressed against your skin, it's not making you cold. this is good.

i also know people who race even in hot weather in baselayers (sleeveless). they insist that they'll get less road rash if they crash - the friction happens between the layers of clothing rather than clothing-on-skin.

eddief
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
jerseys have multiple pockets and elastic all over the place. you only need one set of 3 rear pockets, not 3 sets.

here in the non frigid West, of late I have going with micro layers. smartwool thin on the bottom, mid weight jersey, light windbreaker or vest...and then another light windbreaker. easy to adjust temp by quickly adding or removing at short stops on the road.

laupsi
01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
creature of habit, guess I'll try base layering and see what it's like to ride dry! thanks for the input :)

jonnyBgood
01-17-2012, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=nooneline]mostly sweatwicking. if the sweat's not pressed against your skin, it's not making you cold. this is good.

i also know people who race even in hot weather in baselayers (sleeveless).

The idea behind a baselayer is to keep your bodies temperature regulated. The last thing you want is to be climbing and working up a good sweat and then going downhill and getting super cold because of all the sweat sitting in your jersey. The baselayer pulls the sweat from your body to the outside allowing it to dry. Here in Colorado climbs can be pretty long and the descents being even longer so you want the bodies temperture to stay the same.

I wear a baselayer EVERYTIME I ride. If it is 100 degrees or if it 20 degrees. I think I have some where between 10-12 different baselayers. Super thin mesh sleeveless to thicker long sleeved.

Bob Ross
01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Here in Colorado climbs can be pretty long and the descents being even longer

I need to find me some of those hills!