PDA

View Full Version : teach me about pedals

pedlpwrd
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I never realized untill the last couple of months how many ways one can change up their bikes. So, share with me, what pedals do you all use and why? And if OP gets involved maybe he can even explain the diffrences lol.
Thanks forumites!

AngryScientist
01-16-2012, 07:04 PM
What are you using now?

fourflys
01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
pedals are like saddles, or shorts, or helmets, or ???... not trying to be vague here, it's just that there are so many choices...

it seems the there are 3 main pedal choices for road: Shimano, Look, and Speedplay with Time thrown in there as well...

I use Shimano because I like the security of the retention system, I like the width of the pedal platform, and I like the cleats... I tired Speedplay, didn't care for them and went back to Shimano... no experience with Look or Time...

hope this helps a bit and I'm sure there are other pedal types out there, the ones I listed just seem to be the favorites...

BTW- I'm actually waiting for Crank Brothers to introduce another road pedal... also, I can't believe SRAM has let the pedal market go untapped this long...

soulspinner
01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Look

charliedid
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Pedals are highly recommended.

Don49
01-16-2012, 09:02 PM
BTW- I'm actually waiting for Crank Brothers to introduce another road pedal...

I was at a local mtn. bike event where manufacturers had exhibit booths setup. CB was there and I asked that very question regarding road pedals. The rep. said that they don't expect to introduce another road specific pedal, because the roadies were using the all titanium Egg Beater in preference to the Quattro. And they do plan to keep producing road cleats.

Don't know if any of that is true but I do love my Quattros. Although an EB feels just as good once clipped in.

rugbysecondrow
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Crank brothers on everything. Simple, easy to use, cleats seem to last a while. Not expensive. Go for it.

rounder
01-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Just signed up for some Time Atacs. Anxious to see how they go.

FlashUNC
01-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Used the same pair of Look pedals for 12 years now and they've showed no signs of quitting.

rustychisel
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Keywin. 4 pairs now and counting. So good, so simple.

Louis
01-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Used the same pair of Look pedals for 12 years now and they've showed no signs of quitting.

You're not riding hard enough or long enough :p

I assume they must be the older Delta cleat model. That's what I'm still using. I've thought about trying something more modern, but I have some many "extras" stashed away I can't bring myself to switch.

oliver1850
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Look. Mainly because they're what I started out with 20 years ago, although I've never had a problem with any of them, except paint. I'm never switching, it would cost too much.

Louis
01-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Look. Mainly because they're what I started out with 20 years ago

I bet over 75% of the cyclists in our generation started with Look.

Germany_chris
01-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Look for road..

Shimano XT for everything else.

jpw
01-17-2012, 04:34 AM
You need 'em.

BdaGhisallo
01-17-2012, 05:57 AM
I can second the Keywin CRM pedals. I have tried them all (except Campy Profits and CBros) and these are the best by a mile.

commfire
01-17-2012, 06:18 AM
No love for Shimano spd pedals? The new Carbon Ultegra look like a good value at 110 bucks.
I have used shimano road pedals for years and never gave them a second thought

oldpotatoe
01-17-2012, 07:37 AM
I never realized untill the last couple of months how many ways one can change up their bikes. So, share with me, what pedals do you all use and why? And if OP gets involved maybe he can even explain the diffrences lol.
Thanks forumites!

Started on Look, then Campagnolo/Look, then Campagnolo Profit, now Speedplay Zeros.

Zeros-2 sided, easy in and out. Easy to open and maintain. Metal cleats, don't wear like plastic if ya gotta walk on them(don't walk on ANY road cleats tho, IMHO). Adjustable float, most adjustable cleat in terms of left-right and fore-aft.

If ya fall and kill one pedal, you can buy one pedal.

After putting them on after ProFit, cleat in same relative postion as Campagnolo, felt really no different in terms of being hooked in to the pedal, ride, etc.

Like 'em, durable, work well.

I sell shimano and Look as well..like those also.

I don't have a MTB but for MTB pedals, I like Time, followed by shimano.

jr59
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Started on Look, then Campagnolo/Look, then Campagnolo Profit, now Speedplay Zeros.

Zeros-2 sided, easy in and out. Easy to open and maintain. Metal cleats, don't wear like plastic if ya gotta walk on them(don't walk on ANY road cleats tho, IMHO). Adjustable float, most adjustable cleat in terms of left-right and fore-aft.

If ya fall and kill one pedal, you can buy one pedal.

After putting them on after ProFit, cleat in same relative postion as Campagnolo, felt really no different in terms of being hooked in to the pedal, ride, etc.

Like 'em, durable, work well.

I sell shimano and Look as well..like those also.

I don't have a MTB but for MTB pedals, I like Time, followed by shimano.

I always thought Peter would be a toe clip and strap kind of guy! :D

FlashUNC
01-17-2012, 08:35 AM
You're not riding hard enough or long enough :p

I assume they must be the older Delta cleat model. That's what I'm still using. I've thought about trying something more modern, but I have some many "extras" stashed away I can't bring myself to switch.

They've certainly been battered, but I've never been the mileage king. Bearings still spin smooth, so I've got no reason to replace them. Until Look decides to stop selling the delta cleat.

I do have my eye on those Keo Blades when these do finally spit the bit.

Wilkinson4
01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
One pedal to rule them all. That's what I would like. I use Keywin on my road bike(s) and MKS Cube on everything else including my mtb.

They are cheap at VO, and do the job. Not as solid as I would like so the year of the pedal may be this year.

mIKE

cmg
01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
was on Look for 10+ years then discovered Speedplays.

fourflys
01-17-2012, 10:14 AM
The new Carbon Ultegra look like a good value at 110 bucks.

I've looked at those, but here are my thoughts... I look at my metal Shimano pedals and see scuff marks from where I didn't hit the pedal right at takeoff and had to ride on the wrong side to get across the intersection... I wonder how well the carbon would hold up in that situation? I think I'll stay with my alloy DA pedals...

zap
01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Look and Shimano SPD-SL (always double check to make sure I bring the right shoe.... :rolleyes: ) on road-eggbeaters on mtb.

Shimano is most likely going to be my go-too road pedals as the bearings are tops and the cleat design makes walking a bit easier. Wide platform is also something I'm keen on. That they are now a smidge lighter (carbon) is a plus.

nighthawk
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
I've always been a toe-clips and straps kind of guy, myself.. but I'm going to give clipless a try this year, too.

What's compatibility like across the different brands? Can you get Mavic shoes and put Shimano cleats on them, etc? Are there any instances of absolute non-compatibility? Is anyone known for making particularly nice touring shoes?

info appreciated!

oldpotatoe
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I've always been a toe-clips and straps kind of guy, myself.. but I'm going to give clipless a try this year, too.

What's compatibility like across the different brands? Can you get Mavic shoes and put Shimano cleats on them, etc? Are there any instances of absolute non-compatibility? Is anyone known for making particularly nice touring shoes?

info appreciated!

If it's a road shoe, it will have 3 bolt attach points, as do all road pedals now. If it's a MTB shoe, it will have the 2 bolt cleat attach points, like all MTB pedals now. 'Some' road shoes have 3 bolt and 2 bolt for MTB cleats. No MTB shoes have 3 bolt attach points for road pedals.

Johnny P
01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Crank brothers for me.

EDS
01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
If it's a road shoe, it will have 3 bolt attach points, as do all road pedals now. If it's a MTB shoe, it will have the 2 bolt cleat attach points, like all MTB pedals now. 'Some' road shoes have 3 bolt and 2 bolt for MTB cleats. No MTB shoes have 3 bolt attach points for road pedals.

Don't speedplays still have a 4 bolt attachment - and I believe some shoe manufacturers have models drilled specific for speedplay (i.e., 4 bolt)?

jamesutiopia
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
My progression has been Look -> Speedplay -> Time ATAC

Dave
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Speedplay X type. Double sided entry step on the pedal and go. I can clip-in with out loooking at the pedal. Full float works for me.

tsarpepe
01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
What's compatibility like across the different brands? Can you get Mavic shoes and put Shimano cleats on them, etc? Are there any instances of absolute non-compatibility?

The main types of pedals are not compatible. You can't use the cleats of one system on another system's pedals. Shimano and Look are close. I had a few months of overlap when switching, and one day clipped my Delta cleats into Shimano peds. Didn't notice right away, then was too lazy to go back. There was significant play inside the pedal, but they stayed in and clipped out ok at intersections. Good enough for a leisurely ride, but you shouldn't do it. Speedplays are absolutely non-compatible with anything else. Completely different animal.

Mark McM
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM

As EDS noted, there are several models of shoes from several manufacturers that have Speedplay-specific (4 bolt, flat surface) soles, rather than the generic "Look" (3 bolt, curved surface) soles. Speedplay-specific shoes are made by Lake, DMT (and probably others), and starting next year, Sidi.

Unfortunately, because 4 bolt Speedplay cleats use a flat sole interface, and most 3 bolt cleats require a curve sole interface, an adapter plate must be used to convert a 4 bolt sole to a 3 bolt cleat and vice-versa (i.e., making a "universal" 3 bolt or 4 bolt shoe requires more than just adding additional bolt holes).

nighthawk
01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Cool. Thanks for all the info guys. That definitely helps me get to a better starting point. I picked up some 105 pedals, so I just have to figure out what SPD compatible shoes to get.

pdmtong
01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
good move. despite that look was here first, all my look friends are sliding around the sidewalk while us spd-sl foilks are walking like nornal.

for dirt, city, time or shimano. time used to have an advantage in the mud, but shimano is pretty good now too.

Ozz
01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
campy pro-fit

EDS
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
campy pro-fit

I have used Campy Record Pro-Fits and Shimano SPD-SL 7810s and the Shimano's are superior in every respect in my opinion.

fourflys
01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
campy pro-fit

I thought about trying some pro-fits when I had my Campy stuff and just couldn't get past the price tag... I think it's pretty telling that Old Potatoe doesn't use pro-fit and he is a die-hard Campy guy and can get them at shop owner prices...

rain dogs
01-20-2012, 12:02 PM
For road bikes...

I've used Chorus pro-fit, which were awesome, but expensive and heavy

and now I use Look Keo 2's which are awesome, more affordable and lighter.

for touring and commuting...

the Shimano A530 pedal is a nice flexible design and although I don't like spd's much at all on the bike, off the bike it's pretty nice.

HSG Racer
01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Last season I purchased the new Carbon Dura Ace pedals and they are great. The platform is huge but the weight is very respectable. Much better than the older Dura Ace pedals that they replaced with larger and smoother bearings.

http://www.nytro.com/default/cache/file/EE919536-237D-9C1A-036BCB59D540E110.jpg

torquer
01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I bet over 75% of the cyclists in our generation started with Look.
Sure, because Look was first on the market with "clipless" pedals. My own first "step-in" pedals were Shimano-branded Looks, so I guess that puts me in that 75% (even though lately I've been identifying with the 99% ;) )
Moved on to Speedplay in the '90s and never looked back.