PDA

View Full Version : really long forks RANT

bicycletricycle
01-16-2012, 03:16 PM
really long suspension corrected forks on mountain bikes make me nuts. Especially on nice custom frames. I think people should make up their minds.

step. 1
decide if you like suspension.

step. 2
order frame and fork accordingly.

2 or 3 inches of air above the tire just looks silly (IMHO), like your bike is on stilts. Structurally it also puts a lot of undue strain on the cantilevered fork legs.

Maybe its just me and maybe i'm just extra grumpy today but i was wondering if anyone else felt the same about this phenomenon.

Kirk Pacenti
01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
really long suspension corrected forks on mountain bikes make me nuts. Especially on nice custom frames. I think people should make up their minds.

step. 1

step. 2

2 or 3 inches of air above the tire just looks silly (IMHO), like your bike is on stilts. Structurally it also puts a lot of undue strain on the cantilevered fork legs.

Maybe its just me and maybe i'm just extra grumpy today but i was wondering if anyone else felt the same about this phenomenon.

I don't get grumpy about it, but I do agree that bikes with suspension corrected rigid forks look ridiculous.

If it makes you feel any better, Soul Craft bikes no longer builds suspension corrected forks.

Cheers,
KP

bicycletricycle
01-16-2012, 03:40 PM
that does make me feel better.

keevon
01-16-2012, 03:46 PM
A local shop manager was complaining about this yesterday. It hadn't occurred to me before that.

Is the structural problem unique to 29ers?

Is it really that much of a problem, ie. are rigid 29er forks routinely breaking?

An uneducated mind wants to know.

xjahx
01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Agreed, BiTri. I just had my monstercross / drop bar 29er designed around a 410mm AC fork as opposed to a suspension corrected height. Works for me.

bicycletricycle
01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
they dont break because they are built heavier than they would need to be if they were 3 inches shorter.

fourflys
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Soul Craft bikes no longer builds suspension corrected forks.

Cheers,
KP

hard to beat Sean's work...

miguel
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
u grumpy

some of us have wives/husbands/partners that limit the bicycle equasion (S-1) but fail to notice the parts bin.

remind us all of how many bikes you currently have in your stable

bicycletricycle
01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
lets keep this on point :)

my bicycle collection is not the issue here.

Peter P.
01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I believe Soulcraft is no longer making 29er suspension corrected forks. I was under the impression he'll make 29er non -suspension corrected forks.

26" suspension corrected forks are not stressed as much, so they're still available. Also, 29er suspension corrected forks, when built properly, will last, but may put excessive strain on the frame; another reason not to use one.

As for 26" forks, my bike has a suspension corrected rigid fork to make it more marketable should I sell it or worse yet, brain fart and decided to install an actual suspension fork.

Me thinks you're just grumpy.

charliedid
01-16-2012, 08:04 PM
You would love/hate my Surly Troll.

victoryfactory
01-17-2012, 06:26 AM
step. 1
step. 2

Wish I had the option to follow your steps. I got a very nice Ti-Max frame with
suspension fork for a good price with the plan to get a rigid carbon fork for it.
The idea was to lower the front end just enough for me.
After searching high and low, I couldn't find the right length fork. I guess I
could have a steel one made but that is not my first choice on this bike.
The photo shows the Winwood carbon which was the closest I could find to
what I wanted. Still would like about 1" less length so I'm still looking. There
is not a lot of variety out there for MTB rigid fork lengths Anyone have an idea?

VF

bicycletricycle
01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Custom steel fork would b nice

Chance
01-17-2012, 08:12 AM
lets keep this on point :)

my bicycle collection is not the issue here.
Miguel’s point seems for the most part on point. He’s just looking at issue from a broader perspective. Perhaps he should have not questioned “your” collection’s size specifically, but his point is valid nonetheless.

Riders with limited resources and therefore fewer bikes often build more flexibility into their purchases out of necessity. Makes perfect sense to me. If a rider had both a rigid and suspension then adding another bastardized frameset to collection makes less sense. If it’s your only bike accepting the ugliness as a compromise may be easier. Some may want suspension but can’t afford it right now. Don’t see anything wrong with planning for a future fork upgrade if that makes the buyer happy.

You are both right. It’s uglier, no doubt about it. It can also serve a purpose under right conditions. The other objections like weight and strength seem minor by comparison. Even a long steel fork can be lighter and stronger than a suspension fork.

bicycletricycle
01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
when i was limited to only a few bikes i had a couple of bikes that were built with versatility into them and i found that i quickly would like one set up and not ever switch them up to their alter egos.

are people actually switching rigid and suspension forks all the time depending on the weather or the season or something? Bolt on rear suspension failed but maybe it should come back so that we we could have more seasonal options :)

my 29er loaded touring monstercross couplered travel bike Sycip turned out to be a nice touring or commuter (with too much clearance) but a not super great MTB.

my waterford single speed/fixed gear/touring bike (with internal hub)/couplered travel bke turned out to be a nice fixed gear with braze ons and a rear brake mount it didn't need.

In the end I think it is better to have a Thoroughbred than a Mutt

Germany_chris
01-17-2012, 08:35 AM
but mutts are useful..

William
01-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Can you spot the 29er/s?

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0087.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0086.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0083.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0082.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/IMG_0081.jpg

I remember putting fork extensions on a Stingray when I was a kids and riding that thing everywhere... road, bumpy single track, dirt roads, and rail road tracks with nary an issue. That's what you call long forks with buko leverage. Are some 29er forks longer then they need to be? Probably, but in my case anyway, over built forks for off-roadin' is a good thing.

I haven't heard of a rash of 29er forks breaking so aside from the aesthetic, it seems to be a none issue to me. (YMMV) :beer:

William