PDA

View Full Version : ANT+ is ANT+ right?

vqdriver
01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
My garmin 705 started giving me erratic readings and intermittent connectivity the last few days. I've tried a new battery and some of the solutions tried by others on the garmin forum with no success. Other functions of the 705 work fine. Consensus seems to be the strap is the issue so now shopping for a new hrm sensor and have found different brands. They should all work fine as long as they're ant plus? Any recommendations or just stick to garmin?

AngryScientist
01-16-2012, 12:51 PM
My garmin 705 started giving me erratic readings and intermittent connectivity the last few days. I've tried a new battery and some of the solutions tried by others on the garmin forum with no success. Other functions of the 705 work fine. Consensus seems to be the strap is the issue so now shopping for a new hrm sensor and have found different brands. They should all work fine as long as they're ant plus? Any recommendations or just stick to garmin?

i would research that further for sure. i cant say positively, but i think the garmin ones are somehow coded to be garmin specific. i dont think you can just use any ant+ strap, but i could be wrong -

my point is only that you should be sure before you buy, or just stick with Garmin and be safe.

keithreynolds
01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
You can try a cycle-ops if you have one. Mine works with the 500.

Nooch
01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
ant+ is ant+. yes, any ant+ will work.

i dont think you can just use any ant+ strap, but i could be wrong.

you are! :bike:

commfire
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Yup, should work with any ant + compatible HR strap

AngryScientist
01-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I sit corrected :beer:

zmudshark
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Garmin advised me to insert a good battery backwards for a few seconds, then try to re-synch. I assume you are talking about a HRM, correct?

They sent me a new one, even though I didn't have the receipt.

vqdriver
01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
yes the HRM chest strap

insert the new battery backwards for a few seconds, then flip it over and try again? i'll try it tonight.

Nooch
01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
erratic readings could also be due to the contacts being contaminated... be sure to wash the strap off after every use with some warm water to clean the sweat off..

FWIW, the garmin transmitter will also work with a polar wearlink strap, I've found it to be a little more comfortable than the garmin straps (assuming you had one of the garmin straps that had a removable, two button transmitter.. )

firerescuefin
01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
FWIW...garmins soft straps SUCK. They may be comfortable, but I have grown weary of replacing them...and a customer service rep said as much. I've switched to a more traditional strap and moved down the road.