PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Carbone changes since 2004

slowgoing
01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
I have come across a set of Cosmic Carbones from 2004 in great shape. Are there any changes to that model since 2004 that should make me pass these by in favor of a newer set? These are for fast long rides, not racing.

Litespeed_Mike
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I owned a set of 2004 Carbones. They. Are. HEAVY. 2000g+ (and listed as such on weight weenies) Like really really heavy. Like riding with a lead airfoil. Bought them for a song lightly used in 2009 and sold at the end of the race season.

In racing and riding, it was awesome - the wheels carried a ton of inertia... which helped in some race circumstance. I was pretty light and underpowered that year coming off a broken hip ski injury. Acceleration was about as fast as a coal powered 80 car train. But once they got up to speed... dang.

Unless they are really cheap, I don't see to much use for them in training and distance riding. They might be cool to have in a flat fast century, but other applications are tough to envision.

Newer carbones are still on the heavier side, but have come down substantially in weight. The Carbone Premiums are 1800g and they get lighter as the cost ramps up.

slowgoing
01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks, very helpful