PDA

View Full Version : col de Romeyer

maxn
01-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Went for a longer ride through the Vercors today. I underestimated the amount of climbing it would be so it took a bit longer than planned, but otherwise… damn. I've seen velotel's photos and video of this col and had been meaning to do it for a while. Things started out well with a tailwind along the bike path to St. Gervais. I hooked up with some members of a local club on the path, which cut down on the boredom. St Gervais was still in the shade when I got there, but that's where the climb starts, so no big deal. From there it is beautiful scenery all the way up to the col, with the exception of the tunnel. The tunnel is totally unlit, and my mini bike lights saved me from having to turn around, but only just. As I finally emerged from the tunnel, a breeze carried a swirl of rime off the frosted trees into the sun. After stopping to refill my bottle at the col, it was back through more gorges, Lans-en-vercors, Engins and back into the valley.

http://youtu.be/KQL31SrTU40?hd=1

bobswire
01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of climbing,must have been pretty chilly in the valleys but I bet well worth it.
What kind of camera?
I'm trying to decide between getting either a Contour HD or Go Pro Helmet Cam.

maxn
01-16-2012, 07:34 AM
thanks. GoPro HD v1.. no experience with the Contour but I am generally happy with the GoPro. The one thing that drives me crazy is how hard it is to see the "recording" light, but I think that is fixed for v2. When I was looking at helmet cams, my subjective feeling was that the image stabilisation was better on the gopro.

ride: It was -2 C (28.4F) in the valleys and up to 10C (50F) on the plateau. and yeah, a reasonable amount of climbing but most of it was on the first climb

thwart
01-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Trés cool.

Thanks for starting my Monday out well!

Johnnyg
01-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of climbing,must have been pretty chilly in the valleys but I bet well worth it.
What kind of camera?
I'm trying to decide between getting either a Contour HD or Go Pro Helmet Cam.
I am always amazed where they can build roads in France. Thanks for the show, truly spectacular! viva le France!

phcollard
01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for posting. I'm at the office, working on boring websites, it's -17 celcius outside and I wish I was in France right now! :)

Merci et bonne route! N'hésite pas à partager d'autres vidéos!

PaMtbRider
01-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Wow, thanks so much for posting this. That brought back some great memories of a trip to France my wife and I took on the tandem back in 2002.
http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx354/2_Wheels/IMG65.jpg

jr59
01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm just glad to see that there are poor drivers in other places as well as mine!

maxn
01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Wow, thanks so much for posting this. That brought back some great memories of a trip to France my wife and I took on the tandem back in 2002.

cool! Which side did you ride the col from?

and nice bike!

maxn
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I am always amazed where they can build roads in France. Thanks for the show, truly spectacular! viva le France!
those overhangs do occasionally collapse. There was one a few years ago that collapsed on a car actually now that I think about it! hmmm.

bobswire
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
thanks. GoPro HD v1.. no experience with the Contour but I am generally happy with the GoPro. The one thing that drives me crazy is how hard it is to see the "recording" light, but I think that is fixed for v2. When I was looking at helmet cams, my subjective feeling was that the image stabilisation was better on the gopro.

ride: It was -2 C (28.4F) in the valleys and up to 10C (50F) on the plateau. and yeah, a reasonable amount of climbing but most of it was on the first climb

I noticed you had it attached to the underside of the bars which is why I was impressed. Attaching cameras to handlebars causes more destabilization than
having it attached to a helmet. The GoPro handled it well. :beer:

PaMtbRider
01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
cool! Which side did you ride the col from?

and nice bike!
I wish I had a better memory. We were on an Erickson Cycle tour from Geneva to Nice. I will have to pull at our maps from the trip, but I am pretty sure we rode it from the north.

maxn
01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
from Geneva to Nice? that would probably be from the North. Do you remember the Tunnel of Death? Maybe the way around the outside was still open at that point.

thinpin
01-16-2012, 01:43 PM
The gorge looked quite spectacular with all that hanging ice. Stunning. Thanks for posting.