PDA

View Full Version : First impression ride report

struggle
01-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Today it was a balmy 47 degrees out so I took the Serrota out on its first stroll.

My previous road bikes are as follows Trek 2200 58cm, Specialized Allez Pro 56cm compact geometry, Steel Schwinn Paramount (PDG sorry no waterford) in the mix was a recently sold Cervelo P2C with HED3s.

First impression within the first five pedal strokes was wow is this bike stiff/responsive. One of my biggest concerns was that I might be missing something by not going to the legend instead of the one I choose. Since I have been an avid RAGBRAI rider I wanted the durability of an all TI frame.

The fitter/bike shop I expressed concern to that I did not want a flexy bike at all. I am not sure how much effort goes into the build process as to how they determine just how stiff it will be or as to how much it gets dialed in but it is absolutly fantastic. I can't get over how responsive it is. I am a clyde rider and have only put 88 miles in so far this year so I am well into a less then great physical shape right now and the only complaint would be from me on the bike so far as to my leg hurting from lack of riding.

My allez is full Durace 7800 group with Sworks carbon bar and stem and it would flex more than I liked. The 3T stem and bar while climbing up the one 10% I have on this route the bars never indicated any flex to me at all. The front end of the bike is tight when you got out of the saddle topping a hill. Just fantastic! The other bike I just didn't realize how much it would tend to flex. Now I know the difference

I now completely understand the whole idea of custom fitting and build. Bike seems spot on. I am looking forward to how I willl feel after the first century on it.

These two pictures are getting ready to go down the 10% hill. Ride was 32 miles with 1263' climbing first half into a 15 mph headwind. Steepest hill 10% and the others 6-7% rolling hills typical Iowa ride.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/IMG_20120115_160222.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/struggle_/IMG_20120115_160252.jpg

jlwdm
01-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Congratulations on a great new Serotta. I am glad it works so well for you - my custom Serotta did the same for me and dramatically increased my mileage.

Enjoy.

Jeff

konstantkarma
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Sweet ride! Enjoy that Classique. It will last 2 lifetimes. Is that western IA?

struggle
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet ride! Enjoy that Classique. It will last 2 lifetimes. Is that western IA?

Yes I am on the out skirts of Sioux City area.

AngryScientist
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
very nice ride. Serotta Ti is something special, for sure! :beer:

spiderman
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I had the privilege of seeing this bike in the shop
And watched drew doing some his finest,
Most creative work!
That's a great choice and a head turner
For me when I walked in the shop!
We should get out for a big spirit loop
If you can while the weather lasts!

dekindy
01-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Are those Ultegra road tubeless wheels with Fusion tubeless tires? Serotta S-Fork? If so, then it is probably as smooth as my Legend with road tubeless Fusions and Dura Ace tubeless wheels! Yours is probably the bike that I would be riding if I had not found such a great deal on a stock Legend and F3 fork. Mine is a great all-arounder.

struggle
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I had the privilege of seeing this bike in the shop
And watched drew doing some his finest,
Most creative work!
That's a great choice and a head turner
For me when I walked in the shop!
We should get out for a big spirit loop
If you can while the weather lasts!

That is cool that you were in unkowingly to see it. Drew did a great job and truly seems passionate about building up the bikes.

I hope to do the Okoboji century ride this June with it. Been a few years since doing it.

Rode today but only 15 miles wind and temp was on the brutal side for what I have in terms of winter gear :crap:

struggle
01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Are those Ultegra road tubeless wheels with Fusion tubeless tires? Serotta S-Fork? If so, then it is probably as smooth as my Legend with road tubeless Fusions and Dura Ace tubeless wheels! Yours is probably the bike that I would be riding if I had not found such a great deal on a stock Legend and F3 fork. Mine is a great all-arounder.

Yes S3 fork which is the carbon steer tube as I recall and tubless. I would think by mid summer I would truly have a better feel for the bike as road ride goes.

It seems flawless now. Winter riding just takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. I rode today 15 miles at 28 degrees into a 20 mph wind and that was a fun hater ride for sure :bike: