PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 10s LH shifter rebuild

hockeybike
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm rebuilding a set of chorus levers and while it was easy enough to find a video for the RH one, I haven't come across anything for the LH one. The RH one kind of locks the coil spring into place at the 5 o'clock position. Anyone know where the correct position is on the LH one? It shifts ok, but since I didn't tension the spring spring much (if at all), I'm not that confident that it's right.

Mike748
01-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Its pretty much a mirror image. Just remember that the clock spring works against the derailleur spring to reduce the shifting effort.

Bob Loblaw
01-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Actually I am pretty sure it pulls in the same direction as the derailer spring. Otherwise when you have the shifter off the bike pressing the thumb lever doesn't do anything. I have rebuilt a right hand shifter that had been rebuilt previously with the spring installed as you describe.

BL

Its pretty much a mirror image. Just remember that the clock spring works against the derailleur spring to reduce the shifting effort.

Mike748
01-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Bob, maybe I said it wrong. When the shifter is in the big ring (L) or big cog (R), the clock spring is in its most unwound state. This is the condition where you install the spring. Finger lever fully clicked. When the shifter is in the small ring (L) or small cog (R) the clock spring is in its most wound condition, thumb lever fully clicked.

Bob Loblaw
01-15-2012, 08:20 PM
I understand, but I think that is incorrect.

Imagine a shifter fresh out of the box, uninstalled, no cable. When you pull the finger trigger, you are shifting against the spring. The thumb lever releases the spring. It has to be that way. Otherwise if you click the finger trigger through all the way to the last click, the shifter would be stuck that way because the thumb lever wouldn't do anything.

The spring should be installed so that it increases shifting effort at the finger trigger, not decreases it.

BL

Mike748
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Looks like we need a tie-breaker.

Bob Loblaw
01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAnAmBXYSY

Notice at 0:57. He clicks the thumb shifter and it releases the spring tension.

BL

oldpotatoe
01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm rebuilding a set of chorus levers and while it was easy enough to find a video for the RH one, I haven't come across anything for the LH one. The RH one kind of locks the coil spring into place at the 5 o'clock position. Anyone know where the correct position is on the LH one? It shifts ok, but since I didn't tension the spring spring much (if at all), I'm not that confident that it's right.

Like the LH one, shift all the way up to the 'big ring position, inside tab goes into the central bolt at 5 oclock, outside loop goes around the body.

hockeybike
01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Tie broken. As always, thanks for adding to the body of knowledge, oldpotatoe.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I understand, but I think that is incorrect.

Imagine a shifter fresh out of the box, uninstalled, no cable. When you pull the finger trigger, you are shifting against the spring. The thumb lever releases the spring. It has to be that way. Otherwise if you click the finger trigger through all the way to the last click, the shifter would be stuck that way because the thumb lever wouldn't do anything.

The spring should be installed so that it increases shifting effort at the finger trigger, not decreases it.

BL

Those big flat springs were installed to address some people who said the shift effort on Campagnolo ERGO was 'too high', so the flat springs added to make the shift effort going to the big ring or lowest gear in back easier. When shifting the shift lever(not thumb button) you are actually unwinding the spring, making the shift effort less. First installed in 1998.

Bob Loblaw
01-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I stand corrected.

BL

hockeybike
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
This is what it looks like now:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6963/photopms.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/photopms.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Edit--Works now. Just had to re-rebuild it.

Kontact
01-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I stand corrected.

BL
I can see why you thought that, but I think you were forgetting the input of the derailleur spring via the cable, which is stronger than the shifter spring.

hockeybike
01-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Ok, thought I had rebuilt it perfectly, but I mounted it to the bars, clamped the FD pinch bolt and the shifting from small ring to big ring sounds pretty mushy. The clicks are there, but are pretty muted compared to any other campy lh shifter I've used (veloce and record 10s). The clicks going from big ring to small ring (thumb lever) are very loud and pronounced. I did put a decent amount of phil wood grease on the g springs when I replaced them. Anyone have any experience with this? Best to just re-rebuild and hope it works itself out?

Jaq
01-23-2012, 09:36 AM
You could email the guys at Branford. They also have a pdf of the ergo-lever rebuild manual from Campy available for 5 bucks.