PDA

View Full Version : OT-Warning on Dog Treats

Sandy
01-15-2012, 01:05 AM
I know this warning is not a cycling related topic, but many people here love their dogs/pets. If a moderator wants to delete this post, I certainly will understand:

(NaturalNews) The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is still reportedly trying to pinpoint the cause of an illness outbreak affecting an increasing number of dogs all over the country. According to a recent warning issued by the FDA, dog owners need to be aware of the source of their pet treats. Many chicken jerky treats imported from China have been making dogs severely ill.

Just a few weeks ago, we reported on 70 known cases of dogs becoming severely ill or dying from chicken jerky treats imported from China. But that number has spiked to more than 350 after the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine issued a new warning to pet owners to beware of the Chinese imported pet treats.

"FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs that may occur within hours to days of feeding the products: decreased appetite; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea; increased water consumption and/or increased urination," says the FDA warning (http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...).

At this point, regulators have been unable to identify a specific brand, or even a specific contaminant, that may be responsible for causing the illness. However, the warning follows several others dating back to 2007 and 2008 when the FDA issued similar warnings about chicken jerky treats that were making dogs ill, an anomaly that remains to be solved.

Many popular pet treats and pet food products are questionable to begin with, as the source of their ingredients are typically undisclosed. Even pet food products manufactured by domestic companies may contain ingredients sourced from other countries, and sometimes contaminants slip in undetected, as was the case in 2006 when Diamond Pet Foods recalled 19 varieties of dog food that was contaminated with aflatoxin.

As an alternative to store-bought food and treats, pet owners may wish to search out local sources of pet food made from farm-fresh ingredients instead. Some local suppliers will carry raw meat products derived from pastured animals, for instance, that are specifically made just for pets.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034551_pet_treats_China_deaths.html#ixzz1jVZL0miC

Sandy

bismo37
01-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah... lots of frequent recalls on a number of foods and treats.

Here's a link from the AVMA site: http://www.avma.org/petfoodsafety/recalls/default.asp

FastVegan
01-15-2012, 06:19 AM
I make all my dogs food using grains, legumes and veggies, this is the exact reason why. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

zap
01-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Dogs need protein from meat. Grains and veggies are ok some of the time if it's cooked.

SEABREEZE
01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Both my farm Cats and Dogs, eat a raw meat diet. Minimal top quality kibbles are added...

Fixed
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM
we use blue buffalo
lamb and brown rice
for my best friend
cheers
nice warning sandy thanks
cheers

Tailwinds
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info, Sandy!

Fixed, your dogs are very fortunate to have you!

AngryScientist
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
thanks for the heads up. our scotty is on a raw meat diet too.

i did just get a smoker for christmas, and i may experiment with making some jerky for me and the hound:)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wxT1SyghdWY/TvftndNrtwI/AAAAAAAAAo4/eMoNBR1ITnU/s1600/Mama+102.jpg

FastVegan
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Dogs need protein from meat. Grains and veggies are ok some of the time if it's cooked.
Say What?!? http://dogsinthenews.com/issues/0209/articles/020918a.htm

Chance
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks Sandy, great timing on information. Didn’t realize dog foods can be so questionable in quality. Expected some problems but the number of recalls and or warnings is alarming.

For the last couple of months my dog has been suffering vomiting and or diarrhea on and off which has led to significant weight loss and signs of being tired. The Vet tested his blood last week and thinks his kidneys are failing and suggested “flushing” treatment. Basically it’s injecting liquids to hydrate him to the point of helping flush the kidneys. First treatments last week were injecting fluid under skin/fat layer and tomorrow he’s to begin what sounds like an IV to super hydrate him to make him urinate a lot more than normal.

Anyway, all along the thought of it being bad food that may have stressed his kidneys kept crossing my mind since poisoning also causes renal stress or failure. It’s probably hoping against hope that he will recover significantly on better diet since the Vet has “estimated” he might only have a few months to live. However, since starting a special diet last week he seems to be holding the food down better and with much less diarrhea, and may even be putting on a little weight back on. That's what is giving me a little hope.

In any case thanks for information because he’s never going back on dry dog food that made him not want to eat. And can food wasn’t much better.

rice rocket
01-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I personally think all dog food is questionable in quality. It is what the humans won't eat, afterall.

I have a thing of dental "hides" that I gave my pup that were made in China. I unfortunately didn't realize this till she almost finished the bag. The other thing that bothered me as the treat splintered a lot, which could become hazardous if she tried to swallow a large piece of it.

struggle
01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
We don't buy any dogs treats/food at all from China and for that matter we even look over stuff we consume as well to avoid anything from there.

Lots of kids candy comes from china. Anything we find that our kids bring home from there goes right in the trash no matter how good it looks.

jlyon
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
I just threw away a very large bag of these treats purchased last week at costco.

Now I at least know why my dog was so sick last week.