PDA

View Full Version : Bike theft article - Who Pinched My Ride - Outside Magazine

Jellybird3
01-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Interesting article about bike theft from Outside Magazine:
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/Who-Pinched-My-Ride.html

I never knew about the Bic pen & Kryptonite lock trick.

Louis
01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I never knew about the Bic pen & Kryptonite lock trick.

Lots of youtube videos of this. Takes about 2 seconds if you're good at it.

foo_fighter
01-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it's one of those things you think is a hoax like the tennis ball opening a car door, but it was real and they were recalled or you were given credit towards a new lock. That said I'm sure there are still thousands of Kryptonite locks out there with the cylinder key.

leftsidedrive
01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Great article! I was shocked to see that our own neighborhood stolen bicycle ring was featured in this write up.

I live in Portland Oregon and work at a local shop near the "transvestite bicycle wheeler and dealer". As mentioned, the ring leader is a 300 lb + dude that is in a motorized wheelchair. I have ran him and his cronies off from our store on multiple occasions. It's amazing how these people still operate a fully functional bicycle chop shop in broad daylight on a high traveled road. Apparently the police don't care to stop him or his thieving employees. It's not uncommon to see 2-3 customers a week coming into the store and sheepishly saying their bike was stolen from their garage or porch the night before.

As a legitimate bicycle shop that sells used/consignment bicycles we have to subscribe to a city police program that checks serial numbers on a stolen bicycle database. We are a small shop, and it costs us a lot of money to legally sell used bicycles. It's very frustrating to see these thieves openly sell used (stolen) bicycles 4 blocks from our small shop. Karma is real, and eventually these guys will pay for their actions.

Until then, if you recently have had a bicycle stolen in SE Portland, I would go see "fat tommy and the chain smoking tranny" if you want your bike back.

HenryA
01-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Baseball bat.