PDA

View Full Version : RedRam Merino Wool Products, Your thoughts?

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2012, 07:41 AM
I am looking at placing an order for RedRam merino wool products. It seems they use Icebreaker material but are cheaper. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

charliedid
01-14-2012, 07:50 AM
I am looking at placing an order for RedRam merino wool products. It seems they use Icebreaker material but are cheaper. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

Have a link Paul? I'm curious as I never heard of them.
Thanks

Edit: Seems Icebreaker owns them. http://www.redram.com/about-redram/

Hank Scorpio
01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
I have a redram sleeveless base layer and two icebreaker sleeved base layers and I believe the merino to be the same quality. The cuts are more relaxed in the redram product and I don't think they list the gram weight of the merino of that product line. It feels similar to the 150 gram weight icebreaker top and lighter than the 200 gram if that is any help.

All are very nice and have washed and worn well.

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks, just ordered some.

rice rocket
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Wow. Looks great, except their sizes are very generous. 38" chest for a small is a medium in most other brands.

Brb, gotta go bench press some more. :bike:

gdw
01-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Sierra Trading Post has some baselayers at great prices especially when you use the discount codes.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product/listing/?filterString=search~redram%2F

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I the sizing will work well for me, I need a geenerous cut. Sierra trading post has some of their products, around 30 bucks each. Plenty of do, xxl and xxl sizes. :)

Edit: thanks gdw, beat me to it. :)

Uncle Jam's Army
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Paul, picked up two navy short sleeves (the only color in my size) for just under $20 each.

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2012, 03:39 PM
I did the same thing, long sleeve, short sleeve, leggings and pull over...I had to hedge by bet on sizing a bit, ordering both XXL and XXXL in one of the shirts. Otherwise, a great deal it seems.

PaMtbRider
01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I will be curious to hear how you like these. We just got home from REI where Roxann bought a set of smart wool thermals for quite a bit more.

rugbysecondrow
01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I will be curious to hear how you like these. We just got home from REI where Roxann bought a set of smart wool thermals for quite a bit more.

Sierra Trading post has a bunch of Smartwool as well. I have some of their gloves and I like them a lot. I will follow up.

I figured the material was the same as Icebreakers, and they get really good marks.

verticaldoug
01-14-2012, 07:15 PM
I think the red ram is the everyday wool clothing. I think icebreaker is positioned more for sport/active use with a slim cut.

Although I like smartwool, I think smartwool lacks durability and I tear through the stuff. The socks just do not last. I have similiar icebreaker socks and these seem to last much longer. I also have icebreaker T's and long johns which also wear very well.

The trade off to me is always on price vs durability.

nannon
01-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Its nice just depends how deep your pockets are: )

neiltron
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Remember that most merino wool baselayers use a 1x1 rib knit construction and if you wear it as an outer layer, it WILL wear out much more quickly. They are meant to be worn next to your skin, underneath another outer layer.