PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Bicycles?

SteveFrench
01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
So I've got my eye on a local falcon. I don't know much about this company other than that they were made in England and may have briefly made Eddie Merckx's bikes. The bike I'm looking at is super clean and built out of Reynolds 501. It has strong light cranks, whatever the heck those are, and the components pretty much just say "shimano" withouit any model designation and the top tube of the bike says "team." Is this an interesting bike worth adding to my (small) collection (2 bassos and a tommasini)? Or should I pass on this one? Seems kind of rare to me, and that's why I'm tempted. The owner is asking $300 but I bet he will come down a good deal as the bike has been listed for a while now. All thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

jtakeda
01-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I would pass.

bart998
01-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Falcon has been around for a long time and made crude "Merckx" branded bikes in the 1970's. The bikes I have seen had rough lug-work and were generally "stove-pipe specials", except the Merckx models which were 531 but still had poor workmanship. If this one has 501 tubing it must be a newer model than I have seen. If the frame looks ok, it probably is, but 501 tubing is a low model Reynolds, not equivalent to 531. Stronglight is French and makes great cranks and some moderate range cranks, I have yet to come across a bad one. I still have/use a Stronglight 105 from the 1970's.

alancw3
01-14-2012, 05:16 AM
a little hsitory:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Falcon.htm

like previously mentioned 501 was the next tear down from 531, although nothing wrong with it. i would not think this bike much of a collector item if that is what you are thinking but at the right price, if you lke it and it fits go for it.

reforester
01-14-2012, 06:25 AM
In their day these were not event third tier bikes. Like most English products built in those days, built for clunking along English roads not collectable or real much fun to ride.

SteveFrench
01-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the insight, guys! I'm going to pass on this one.