PDA

View Full Version : Flat Saddles

hainy
01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I have been on an Arione for 4 years and while it suites me as it allows you to move around a bit it tends to cut me up on the cheeks on long tiring rides, I demod an SMP it gave me back pain as it is one spot saddle, So I am looking for another flat saddle. Maybe SLR, turbomatic or ?
What have you found good and why? I like the level of firmness of Arione but the shape is a problem.

Any help would be appreciated

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Try a specialized toupe, those are widely loved...

gasman
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Second on the Toupe. I had an Arione for about a year and is was fine but the Toupe has been much better, the cutout keeps everything happy. I rode an SMP for about 6 months but it didn't quite fit. Specialized has a number of other flat saddles also. I have a toupe on 3 bikes.

akelman
01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I rode Ariones for awhile and then had the same problem you're describing (or one very much like it). I switched over to the new Flite seats, which I like for comfort but despite aesthetically. Now I'm going back to the old Flites, which are perfect in every way (except that finding them in white is nearly impossible).

beercan
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
love flites, i found the toupe to cut into under my buttocks but havent tried it for a few years, maybe ill try it again this week.

hainy
01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I tried flites in the past and hated them. How does the toupe perform on longer rides. I don't specifically need a cut out as I find they can sometimes be the a problem themselves

benitosan1972
01-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I rode Ariones for awhile and then had the same problem you're describing (or one very much like it). I switched over to the new Flite seats, which I like for comfort but despite aesthetically. Now I'm going back to the old Flites, which are perfect in every way (except that finding them in white is nearly impossible).

I have a near perfect condition white Flite Ti from the 90's.
Email me if you're interested in buying it.
-Bennett bikegeek72@yahoo.com
No PM's please, thanks!

thegunner
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
i would say the antares or the toupe (as angryscientist already suggested) - loved both of those, and both are relatively flat.

gasman
01-13-2012, 10:54 PM
I tried flites in the past and hated them. How does the toupe perform on longer rides. I don't specifically need a cut out as I find they can sometimes be the a problem themselves

No problems with up to a 100 mile rides.

DRZRM
01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I like the Selle San Marco Zoncolan, wide, flat, rear with a narrow nose. I can move around a lot on this seat.

Link (http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p-109-2011-selle-san-marco-zoncolan-saddle.aspx)

pdmtong
01-13-2012, 11:42 PM
have you tried adjusting the arione tilt slightly one way or the other? there is a tilt that at least for me makes the entire saddle completely disappear.

Uncle Jam's Army
01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
have you tried adjusting the arione tilt slightly one way or the other? there is a tilt that at least for me makes the entire saddle completely disappear.

I run the arione nose down ever so slightly. Perfect.

reforester
01-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Try the Cobb as well, light and comfy. Of course all of this is personal preference

Elefantino
01-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Prologo. (http://www.prologotouch.com/)

The Zero is flat.

I have a Scratch; it is a comfy, true multiposition saddle.

oldpotatoe
01-14-2012, 08:14 AM
I have been on an Arione for 4 years and while it suites me as it allows you to move around a bit it tends to cut me up on the cheeks on long tiring rides, I demod an SMP it gave me back pain as it is one spot saddle, So I am looking for another flat saddle. Maybe SLR, turbomatic or ?
What have you found good and why? I like the level of firmness of Arione but the shape is a problem.

Any help would be appreciated

This 'un...flat, durable, made for years, still made.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/review-saddles/selle-san-marco-rolls-titanium_1749.htm

gtxpro2
01-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Anyone riding a brooks saddle? Seem kinda hard when new but maybe they seem to break in?

mandasol
01-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I own or have owned these flat/semi-flat saddles:

Toupe: getting the right width is important, I have one in 145mm width and it's too wide for me, so planning to change to a 130. I have a 130mm Henge SL saddle and it's the best MTB saddle I've ever tried (for the flat/semi-flat saddle users) so would really like to give the toupe another chance in the narrower version. Otherwise a nice comfortable saddle with just the right amount of padding for a race saddle. Heard a lot of issues about durability, but will see once I get a 130mm saddle and put some miles on it. It's not as flat as I would really like though. I usually prefer cut outs but the edges of the cutouts on the toupe are sharp edges which I kind of feel defeats the purpose of having cutouts.

Ritchey Streem: nice saddle that doesn't get a lot of attention, same basic shape as SLR but with a little more padding which is pretty plush without being too soft. I prefer cutouts so might try the Biomax and the new redesign looks a lot better.

SLR: good semi-curved shape, thought the back end dips down starting about 1/4 the distance from the back effectively forming a hump in the middle of the saddle and if you slide back and sit right where that drop off point starts it can press up against your prostate, was my favorite saddle for years but that issue caused me to move on.

Flite: the old flite was my one of my favorite saddles in the 90's, but I don't really like the shape of the newer flite. Saddles have moved on (for the better IMHO) from this design.

San Marco Mantra: really liked this saddle except it has a more padding than I like though. was one of the few saddles that didn't cause numbness while I worked out indoors staying seated for long periods, the cut out was big enough to use as a toilet seat cover so it obviously relieves pressure on the sensitive areas better than most saddles. The shape is really odd that I couldn't get over though. I like cut outs but they are starting to take it the extreme - the new SLR Superflow really does look like a toilet seat.

Prologo Nago: similar shape to the SLR but without dipping away at the tail, so it doesn't have any pressure points against the prostate. It's currently my go to saddle. I have the gel pas version that really doesn't look like a typical gel saddle. Mine is very thin and stiff and is comparable to the normal slr padding. The 'pas' cut out is nicely rounded and not too big to draw a lot of attention. Prologo's have the best quality I've ever seen in a saddle. They changed the design and now call it the Nago Evo which I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Prologo Zero: absolutely flat. The shape is o.k. but they also call it zero for zero curvature and zero flexibility. It's the stiffest saddle I've ever tried. I like stiff saddles so it was o.k. but the Nago was better for me.

Fizik Antares: semi-flat with about the same about of curvature as an SLR or Nago, but it's crazy wide. The wings dug into the back of my thighs so I couldn't get it to work for me.

Fizik Chameleon: same basic shape at the antares. The soft insert is too soft and the hard insert makes it ride just like a regular antares which I mention already doesn't quite work for me.

I've tried a number of curved saddles as well and none of them work for me as I like to move around a bit on the saddle.

I also like to switch between different saddles regularly so I don't develop sore spots from spending too much time on one particular saddle.

uber
01-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I was an SLR fan for several years, and one day, I couldn't sit on it.
The Turbomatic has me planted in one position, but I do like it. My current
favorite is the Selle San Marco Mantra Carbon. Big cut out. Not mushy, but
not too hard either. Best saddle I have been on.

regularguy412
01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
This one works for me -- has for many years. It's 130mm width, so you'll need to know if this width is what is best for you. The gel is good - doesn't move around after thousands of miles. Each side has little rubber shock absorbers where the rails meet the back of the saddle. Also has a generous cut-out.

Mike in AR:beer:

hainy
01-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all your great replies
I am playing with the tilt on the Arione and better understanding why I wmight have been having some issues.
If I have no success I will look at some of the suggestions for an alternative flat saddle.

Cheers

Hainy

Dekonick
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Have you ever tried a Brooks? Smiley turned me on to the B-17 and I have not looked back since...

Watching the Saints and 49'ers right now... Good game thus far.

Denver Pats next :hello: Could be an interesting game.

:)

bheight1
01-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I find the Arione CX model flatter than the original through the nose--not sure if that's what you are on?

hainy
01-15-2012, 03:29 AM
I am on the standard Arione not the CX

oldpotatoe
01-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Have you ever tried a Brooks? Smiley turned me on to the B-17 and I have not looked back since...

Watching the Saints and 49'ers right now... Good game thus far.

Denver Pats next :hello: Could be an interesting game.

:)

Not all like Brooks. I have tried 3 times, the Brooks journey and all have resulted in selling the things. Swallow, Swift, B-17..nice lookin' and I tried and tried...but no soap..BUT sold them is short order. Swallow ebay, buy-it-now..sold it in about 15 minutes.

Pats humiliated the Tebow show..no surprise. Interesting to see what Elway will 'encourage' the Broncos to do. Elway has Bowden's ear, no doubt, regardless of Elway's 'official' title.

verticaldoug
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Saddles/Saddle_Theory_Part_I_2504.html

Dan Empfield over at slowtwitch wrote about saddles to start off the new year.

I have a Flite on my long bike and a zoncolan on my aeroroad. The saddles are quite different but I like both.

OtayBW
01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Probably the last saddle I will ever buy: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/Carbonio-1.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/BMC_sf0009-1-1-1-1.jpg