PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Forum Eros Poli. And BUZZ

Buzz
01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I see Eros Poli signed up to the forum.

A little history lesson: Eros is an olympic gold medalist and world champion in time trial, Mario Cipollini's original lead out man and most famously remembered for his solo breakaway and win of the 1994 Mt. Ventoux stage of the Tour de France. Hence his nickname "Monsieur Ventoux." He has a wealth of knowledge all things pro racing.

He is also the patron saint of all large riders standing nearly 6'5" tall. (and the greatest guy in the world to draft behind...)

Eros lives in Verona Italy and now organizes cycling trips in Italy, France and Spain. He occasionally comes over to the USA and for the past two years attended a spring camp in Paso Robles, CA along with Tom Byrnes, Pete McKeon and other forumites.

Welcome Eros!

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
No disrespect intended at all, but "Lance Armstrong" is on our forum and I am pretty certain it's not Lance.

BBD

William
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
No disrespect intended at all, but "Lance Armstrong" is on our forum and I am pretty certain it's not Lance.

BBD

WHAT??!!!! Not really Lance? :crap:

My day is trashed.......

William

Sandy
01-13-2012, 11:32 AM
That is a remarkably impressive history of Mr. Poli. A second welcome to him.

Could he keep up with Pete and Tom, or did they simply drop him when the hills got steep? :)

Sandy

Buzz
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
It's the real Eros Poli. He's a friend of mine. He recently had a two week stay here in Northern California with us and got to meet a bunch of american riders and is interested in the american cycling scene. I told him about the forum here and he asked if he could sign up.

Buzz
01-13-2012, 11:41 AM
That is a remarkably impressive history of Mr. Poli. A second welcome to him.

Could he keep up with Pete and Tom, or did they simply drop him when the hills got steep? :)

Sandy
Pete and Tom deployed a clever two man strategy of plying him with red wine...

Thankfully Eros is content to ride at any pace but if he has to he can still go all day into a headwind at nearly 30 mph.

tsarpepe
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Will the real Eros Poli please stand up! (and show himself in this thread)

FlashUNC
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Rapha's chamois cream has a re-telling of Mr Poli's Mt Ventoux victory, so I often think of him while rubbing my gooch.

Wait... That didn't sound right...

thwart
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Rapha's chamois cream has a re-telling of Mr Poli's Mt Ventoux victory, so I often think of him while rubbing my gooch.

Wait... That didn't sound right...POTD.

At least to this point.

William
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I always liked Eros Poli on the racing scene. A tall guy that could hang with the best of them. That being said, I'm taller than him!! :p :banana: ;) :)

William

jpw
01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Is Eros riding Serotta?

flydhest
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
As an introduction to the sense of humor of the forum I would like to say I am not entirely thrilled with his joining. He is 6'5" and a great climber. I find that inexcusable. I use the fact of being 6'2" and therefore "large" as my excuse for being a crappy climber. He is demonstrating how full of it I am.

Seriously though, this is great news.

54ny77
01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
seriously, i just choked on my 4th cup of coffee on the day from laughing while reading that.

thanks.

Sandy
01-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Thankfully Eros is content to ride at any pace but if he has to he can still go all day into a headwind at nearly 30 mph.

No big deal. I can do that too, only I would go backwards..... :)

Sandy

jpw
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
As an introduction to the sense of humor of the forum I would like to say I am not entirely thrilled with his joining. He is 6'5" and a great climber. I find that inexcusable. I use the fact of being 6'2" and therefore "large" as my excuse for being a crappy climber. He is demonstrating how full of it I am.

Seriously though, this is great news.

JVS won PR - you're excuse here is equally unacceptable :rolleyes: :beer:

torquer
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Besides his unlikely size for a victor on a HC mtn. stage, how he won it was great: starting the climb with a 20 minute gap, seeing it almost evaporate by the summit, but staying away solo on the descent to the finish. (Putting his size advantage to use.)

Plus, he sports one of my favorite names in the peleton.

Pete Serotta
01-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Eros is a big guy with an even bigger hreart. I have had rides and wine in Ca with Bob and Sue Long, as well as Buzz and Tom Brynes. And EROS

Fun and then more fun........they are good and caring. AND friends :beer:

Pete

csm
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
welcome aboard but...
are we doing stickys for all new members

Joachim
01-13-2012, 07:33 PM
welcome aboard but...
are we doing stickys for all new members

I think a Tour stage winner deserves a sticky when he signs up. Welcome!

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Nothing clever about it . . . They ply everybody with red wine.

BBD

Tom Byrnes
01-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Nothing clever about it . . . They ply everybody with red wine.

BBD

BBD - Pete and I have to use any and everything to try to gain some advantage.

Buzz - I am glad to read that Eros had a great time in Northern California over the holidays. I hope he is able to return soon.

As Buzz and Pete and everyone else who has met him will say, Eros is a prince of a guy. I saw him in Verona in September as I was on my way to L'Eroica in Tuscany. A few years ago, Buzz wrote a wonderful article for the Italian Cycling Journal that best describes Eros and cycling in the Verona area with Eros.
See: http://www.eros-poli.com/strutturaEng.html

Also, check out his cycling trips. Let's get a group together and go cycling with Eros.

Welcome Eros!

Tom

pedlpwrd
01-14-2012, 03:38 AM

Coffee all over everything! This was one of the funniest things I've gotton to experience in a while! It even came out of my nose! I love this forum in the morning. :D

Elefantino
01-14-2012, 06:32 AM
A great trip down memory lane. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTuS7t7EBE&feature=related) He crests Ventoux at 13:57 and wins the stage at 20:39. :hello:

You have no idea how hard it is for big guys to ride that mountain. And the last right-hander before the summit is the shortest, most brutal leg-ripper there is.

Welcome, Eros! :banana:

Smiley
01-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I got a chance to meet and ride a few miles with Eros in Paso Robles along with Pete, Tom Byrnes and other forumites here. I can vouch that Eros has not lost a step and he rode effortlessly in Nor Cal with the group. Very nice guy but I may also add that that Group was very nice also and Buzz tells the best stories too.

SamIAm
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
I was lucky enough to ride with Eros, Smiley, Pete and others at Paso Robles. I have a couple lasting impressions of Eros.

His retelling of the Ventoux stage at one of the evening gatherings, very humbly told, including the part where he hit the Ventoux and, in his words, saw his speedometer in the single digits for one of the first times in his professional career.

As I was going down a descent to the coast in high wind conditions, a skill that is not in my strong suit, I heard what sounded like a locomotive behind me, I thought it was a care, as he flew by me like I was standing still.

And of course drafting behind Eros doesn't suck.

Having said that, the most epic draft I have had the pleasure to ride behind was Smiley and Karen on their tandem in Vermont, headwinds north of 20 or so for many miles.

Ahneida Ride
01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Yea !!!! :beer:

Jason E
01-14-2012, 01:49 PM
This is too cool... Welcome!

Johnnyg
01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
A great trip down memory lane. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTuS7t7EBE&feature=related) He crests Ventoux at 13:57 and wins the stage at 20:39. :hello:

You have no idea how hard it is for big guys to ride that mountain. And the last right-hander before the summit is the shortest, most brutal leg-ripper there is.

What a great youtube of Ventoux, thanks for sharing that. A great win and a great ride by Inderain as well.

eros poli
01-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Grazie Buzz for the nice introduction,
si sono veramente io, Eros poli (it is really me!) :beer: ciao a tutti :)
I spent our Christamas holidays with my wife Michelle and my daughter Kamy guests at the home of my good friend Buzz and his wife Maria.
They hosted as in their beautiful house in Danville, and thanks to our friend Andy Bowdle that lent me his bike I also got to meet chat and climb Mount Diablo with a lot of the local cyclist (new of Les amis d'Eros http://www.eros-poli.com/strutturaEng.html).
Hei Buz, how many times we climbed in 10 days the mont Diablo 7 or 8 times?

eros poli
01-15-2012, 07:56 AM
What a great youtube of Ventoux, thanks for sharing that. A great win and a great ride by Inderain as well.

Grazie Elefantino..

oldpotatoe
01-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I spent our Christamas holidays with my wife Michelle and my daughter Kamy guests at the home of my good friend Buzz and his wife Maria.
They hosted as in their beautiful house in Danville, and thanks to our friend Andy Bowdle that lent me his bike I also got to meet chat and climb Mount Diablo with a lot of the local cyclist (new of Les amis d'Eros http://www.eros-poli.com/strutturaEng.html).

Enough of these niceties..what kinda bike you ride? What wheels, components?

(Kidding), nice to see a genuine Pro here.

BUT...what kinda bike do you ride?

What components?

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I was lucky enough to ride with Eros, Smiley, Pete and others at Paso Robles. I have a couple lasting impressions of Eros.

His retelling of the Ventoux stage at one of the evening gatherings, very humbly told, including the part where he hit the Ventoux and, in his words, saw his speedometer in the single digits for one of the first times in his professional career.

As I was going down a descent to the coast in high wind conditions, a skill that is not in my strong suit, I heard what sounded like a locomotive behind me, I thought it was a care, as he flew by me like I was standing still.

And of course drafting behind Eros doesn't suck.

Having said that, the most epic draft I have had the pleasure to ride behind was Smiley and Karen on their tandem in Vermont, headwinds north of 20 or so for many miles.
Hei ciao, I remember thath, I hope to ride again with you maibe in Italy next time :hello:

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:15 AM

That day I used NIVEA

try to use Rapha's chamois cream with a :banana:

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Is Eros riding Serotta?
no I dont ride a Serotta..mi spiace..ma è una gran bella Bici :)

oldpotatoe
01-15-2012, 08:26 AM
no I dont ride a Serotta..mi spiace..ma è una gran bella Bici :)

What do you ride?

What bicycle, wheels, components..us little people and bike wrenches want to know.

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Besides his unlikely size for a victor on a HC mtn. stage, how he won it was great: starting the climb with a 20 minute gap, seeing it almost evaporate by the summit, but staying away solo on the descent to the finish. (Putting his size advantage to use.)

Plus, he sports one of my favorite names in the peleton.
Grazie Torquer

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:35 AM
What do you ride?

What bicycle, wheels, components..us little people and bike wrenches want to know.
Pinarello Prince with Chamal weels and continental 23 or 25 size 7/8 bar max (100/120)

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Pinarello Prince with Chamal weels and continental 23 or 25 size 7/8 bar max (100/120)
for "normal" people bike must be comfortable, but one thing I would recommend is to use low position for the handlebar , to have more precise trajectories downhill

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Eros is a big guy with an even bigger hreart. I have had rides and wine in Ca with Bob and Sue Long, as well as Buzz and Tom Brynes. And EROS

Fun and then more fun........they are good and caring. AND friends :beer:

Pete
grazie Pete :beer:

eros poli
01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
BBD - Pete and I have to use any and everything to try to gain some advantage.

Buzz - I am glad to read that Eros had a great time in Northern California over the holidays. I hope he is able to return soon.

As Buzz and Pete and everyone else who has met him will say, Eros is a prince of a guy. I saw him in Verona in September as I was on my way to L'Eroica in Tuscany. A few years ago, Buzz wrote a wonderful article for the Italian Cycling Journal that best describes Eros and cycling in the Verona area with Eros.
See: http://www.eros-poli.com/strutturaEng.html

Also, check out his cycling trips. Let's get a group together and go cycling with Eros.

Welcome Eros!

Tom
Ciao Tom,
Grazie, I still were your Californian awaian shirt. I wait for you in Italy, I'll organize a fantastic "giro" just for you.... montain ..... red wine and..belle donne :beer:

eros poli
01-15-2012, 09:01 AM
si sono veramente io, Eros poli (it is really me!) ciao a tutti

Smiley
01-15-2012, 09:07 AM
To officially be here we need to get you on some Americana bicycle. I have a few suggestions for a big guy like you :)

Glad you found your way here now get over to the East Coast and come ride with us here, I can arrange the Italian Ambassador to the US put you up in his residence, new guy as the old ambassador just got called back to Italy to serve in a higher office.

eros poli
01-15-2012, 09:20 AM
To officially be here we need to get you on some Americana bicycle. I have a few suggestions for a big guy like you :)

Glad you found your way here now get over to the East Coast and come ride with us here, I can arrange the Italian Ambassador to the US put you up in his residence, new guy as the old ambassador just got called back to Italy to serve in a higher office.

I have also a nice SAECO Cannondale CAD 8....fantastica :-)

East coast why not, it would be very nice :bike: :beer:
Eros

Polyglot
01-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Se ci fossero mai problemi di comprensione o di traduzione fattemi sapere. E' da anni che lavoro quale traduttore.

tsarpepe
01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
saw his speedometer in the single digits for one of the first times in his professional career.

I assume the speedometer was in KM... :fight:

Buzz
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM

I think 8 times. Unfortunately, we just didn't have enough time with all our other activities to ride in other parts of SF Bay area which are really nice (my favorite is to ride Old La Honda over to the Ocean and back up via Pescadero, etc.)

Other activities? We spent a lot of our days cooking - Eros and Michelle cooked up a few incredible dinners - including the highlight: warm pheasant and fresh pasta. HEAVENLY! Plus an Amorone wine or two that Eros brought from Verona.

Our daily rides were more in the lines of workouts no more than 2 hours long. Try this one: Find an uphill. 3 minutes pushing a big hard gear with the last 10 seconds standing, recover with a fast spin for 3 minutes repeat four or five times. 2x a week. The next week increase interval to 4 minutes then over the next month to 5 minutes. Then just 1x a week after that.

Follow by a stop at the local coffee shop on the way home... :)

Cool story: On one of our rides up Mt. Diablo a woman cyclist (very very strong by the way) asked if Eros was really "Eros Poli." She then related that she had been at the finish line in Carpenteras France in 1994 the day he won the Mt. Ventoux stage. Small world!

FlashUNC
01-15-2012, 01:21 PM
That day I used NIVEA

try to use Rapha's chamois cream with a :banana:

Nivea should use you as their next spokesman. Or at least get a cut from Rapha. Welcome to the board.

And our newest member in full flight...

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2009/07/22/2/000_arp2229812_600.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Molto buon, un classico italiano con un classico italiano.

Sorry if that's kinda gooned up..babelfish for the translation.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

eros poli
01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Molto buon, un classico italiano con un classico italiano.

Sorry if that's kinda gooned up..babelfish for the translation.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
è ottimo, bravo

eros poli
01-15-2012, 11:06 PM
I assume the speedometer was in KM... :fight:
Confermo 8-9 km/h for the first 2km of the stiper section(Begins after the first hairpin , the second hairpin is at the end!!!)

eros poli
01-15-2012, 11:12 PM

Grazie