PDA

View Full Version : can anyone ID these pedals?

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 07:37 AM
small pic - longshot - what pedals are these, they look so small...

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/images/4708.jpg

William
01-13-2012, 07:39 AM
I can't tell. But I can tell you what word was just forming on his lips.... :butt:

;) :D

William

oldpotatoe
01-13-2012, 07:40 AM
small pic - longshot - what pedals are these, they look so small...

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/images/4708.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coombe_Clipless_Pedal

Methinks

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 07:48 AM
nice OP, i think you nailed it. doesnt look like they're around anymore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e8/Coombe_pedal.jpg/800px-Coombe_pedal.jpg

SPOKE
01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
I think they may be are Areolite pedals. Or at least very similar in design.

oldpotatoe
01-13-2012, 08:41 AM
I think they may be are Areolite pedals. Or at least very similar in design.

Aerolite.

http://www.aerolitepedals.com/

Tough pic but Coombe pretty sure.

jpw
01-13-2012, 08:54 AM
They are Coombe Pro pedals. Best pedals ever made, no longer made, and very hard to find. The rider is wearing the SPD two bolt version cleats. They also came in Speedplay four bolt and Sidi bolt patterns.

I've thought that Bill Coombe may have done a deal with Speedplay about the design patent. There's a Speedplay lollipop Paris Roubaix variant in the pro ranks that looks a lot like the Coombe pedal body. I just don't like the Speedplay cleats - big, expensive, not durable,...the list goes on.

P.S. Have 'em on my Serotta, Coombe that is.

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 08:59 AM
They are Coombe Pro pedals. Best pedals ever made, no longer made, and very hard to find. The rider is wearing the SPD two bolt version cleats. They also came in Speedplay four bolt and Sidi bolt patterns.

I've thought that Bill Coombe may have done a deal with Speedplay about the design patent. There's a Speedplay lollipop Paris Roubaix variant in the pro ranks that looks a lot like the Coombe pedal body. I just don't like the Speedplay cleats - big, expensive, not durable,...the list goes on.

P.S. Have 'em on my Serotta, Coombe that is.

thanks for the insight. i'm a longtime speedplay zero user, but migrating to spd-sl currently. i was getting tired of the speedplay required maintenance. if you even glance at some mud or dust in the street, zero cleats get clogged. shimano system feels good, but deep down, it kills me to have shimano anything on my otherwise all campy bikes...

AgilisMerlin
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
i have tremendous performance from my zero's
two bikes worth. go figure

those coombe's look like a nice design

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 09:09 AM
i have tremendous performance from my zero's
two bikes worth. go figure

those coombe's look like a nice design

what exactly does "tremendous performance" mean. i really like the pedals, it's just that the cleats are a little bit of a hassle.

AgilisMerlin
01-13-2012, 09:37 AM
zero's -like the design, easy to maintain, work like new year after year. light and enjoy the smooth free float etc

some may disagree

never liked the quick wear rate on plastic cleats. drove me nuts. never recouped :D

rice rocket
01-13-2012, 09:47 AM
never liked the quick wear rate on plastic cleats. drove me nuts. never recouped :D
The Shimano SPD-SL cleat apparently lasts multiple years, despite being plastic. Some people claim to use them as a commuter shoe and walk on them daily.

They're also only $18, which makes it much easier to stomach when you need to replace them. :beer:

I'm an SPD-SL convert too, I have about 500 miles on mine, and they're the most fuss-free and stable pedal system I've been on.

benitosan1972
01-13-2012, 09:51 AM
^+1.

SPD-SL's engage much better, the cleats last forever, and you can actually walk around on them without cleat covers.

Look's wear out so fast, and try walking on them without covers and you'll be sliding around like a watersnake.

Fixed
01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
speedplays = a pedal screwed on your shoe
hard to walk with
imho

jpw
01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
thanks for the insight. i'm a longtime speedplay zero user, but migrating to spd-sl currently. i was getting tired of the speedplay required maintenance. if you even glance at some mud or dust in the street, zero cleats get clogged. shimano system feels good, but deep down, it kills me to have shimano anything on my otherwise all campy bikes...

I used Speedplay in 1993 for one year. They were the original body design without the replacement bow tie inserts. The body design is fine, but the cleats are the achilles heel of the system IMHO. Coombe cleats work on road and mountain bike shoes. I've got the SPD version on MTB shoes and the Speedplay version on a pair of road shoes, and the Sidi version on another pair of road shoes.

Speedplays work for some people in some circumstances quite well, but for riding, and commuting, every day in mixed conditions I don't think they do a good enough job. Too much work involved, and expense.

crownjewelwl
01-13-2012, 10:12 AM

utility over vanity!!

i have look pedals on my campy bike...but i wear shimano shoes cuz they feel right

AgilisMerlin
01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
x series cleats came with play and the round springs soon flattened and caused rock in the cleat shoe. they were soon replaced :D

DfCas
01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
The Coombe 4 bolt pattern was actually based on the old Time 4 bolt pattern, which Speedplay also used.

The Coombe pro pedals were the best I ever used, but alas I could not get replacement cleats. Extremely low stack height and very solid feeling.

The 3 bolt Look pattern killed him when Time switched to that. It just didn't work well with his cleat. he was working on a larger version of the pro, to be called the Mega, but quit making pedals. He sent me a mega body that I use as a paperweight.

jpw
01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
The Coombe 4 bolt pattern was actually based on the old Time 4 bolt pattern, which Speedplay also used.

The Coombe pro pedals were the best I ever used, but alas I could not get replacement cleats. Extremely low stack height and very solid feeling.

The 3 bolt Look pattern killed him when Time switched to that. It just didn't work well with his cleat. he was working on a larger version of the pro, to be called the Mega, but quit making pedals. He sent me a mega body that I use as a paperweight.

Mega? Not Millennium?

saab2000
01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I was intrigued by these pedals about 10 years ago and bought a set. They were very well made and had a low stack height, as mentioned. But I didn't like the 'Twist-in/twist-out' engagement and the fact that there was no spring tension to prevent inadvertent disengagement. I pulled out of them a couple times just by my feet twisting a bit on the upstroke.

I never adapted to them and ended up selling them. I wish I still had them just for the sake of novelty. They were really light and strong and very well manufactured according to what I could see. But they didn't suit my style of riding and so I went to Time Impacts. I'd still use them too if they hadn't sort of jumped the shark with a couple of redesigns which, IMHO, did nothing to advance the pedal technology and made my Impacts obsolete.

I now use Shimano D/A 7810 pedals and love them. It is hard for me to see myself changing.

bicycletricycle
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
i used coombe for 5 years, i like them, wore out cleats and sold them. Wish they were still made.

comptechgsr
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
The Shimano SPD-SL cleat apparently lasts multiple years, despite being plastic. Some people claim to use them as a commuter shoe and walk on them daily.

They're also only $18, which makes it much easier to stomach when you need to replace them. :beer:

I'm an SPD-SL convert too, I have about 500 miles on mine, and they're the most fuss-free and stable pedal system I've been on.

Definitely the best bang for the buck