PDA

View Full Version : Short Brifter Suggestions

pjmsj21
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I have one bike with Campy group circa 2005 (triple), and the other has Shimano 6600 vintage. I really like the fit and comfort of the Campy over Shimano and am considering switching the other bike to Campy. In addition to the comfort/shape of the Campy the shorter length also is preferred.

From being a regular reader of the forum, I understand that brifters have been getting longer. Is this the case for Campy? Also what vintage of Campy brifters would you suggest based upon my attempt to get a relatively short brifter?'

TIA

Pat Mc

wooly
01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
I too liked the shape of the older 9 and 10 speed Campy hoods. I don't know if they are now longer. I do know that Dura Ace got longer with the move from 7800 to 7900. From what I can tell and have heard, SRAM is one of the smaller and shorter hoods. I think some others with direct experience will chime in to confirm or correct...

AgilisMerlin
01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
i run ergo with shimano

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

chart on page.

works flawlessly

Dave
01-12-2012, 09:43 PM
The latest Campy ergo levers (2009+) have a reach that's around 3-5mm longer than the previous versions. I didn't change a thing when I converted to the new design, when it first came out.

If it's overall reach that's the issue, then slightly shorter reach bars or a 5mm shorter stem will easily make up the difference. The vast majority of users find the new hood design to be more comfortable than the old design.

If it's to the brake levers that's a concern, it is not any longer than previous models. It's also possible to make a minor modification and bring the brake lever substantially closer to the hooks. All it takes is a small amount of epoxy putty placed behind the brake lever quick release pin. That prevents the lever from fully opening.