PDA

View Full Version : day trip to Philly

shankldu
01-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey guys planing a day trip to Philly next tues and i have never been , any sugestions on kool things to do or see.

torquer
01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Pretty big city to cover in a day trip, but here's what I'd do (again, being a semi-regular visitor to the wife's home town):
1. Eat a real Philly cheese steak (Pat's or Geno's, let the flame wars commence...)
2. Eastern State Penitentiary (weird, I know, but amazing):http://www.easternstate.org/home
3. Nice big museum, where you can run up the steps, just like Rocky (and millions of other visitors, but that's not a problem, is it?) New Barnes museum not quite open yet, unfortunately, but will definitely be a major attraction come spring.

Louis
01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Monk's Cafe (http://www.monkscafe.com/)

Excellent beer selection. The last time I was there a Colnago fixie was chained to a lamp post a few spots down.

Idris Icabod
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I lived in Valley Forge about 12 years ago. Not sure if I'm spelling it correctly but if you have a car, Manayunk is a cool place to go have lunch and a beer and there is the added bonus of a couple of good bike shops if memory serves. It isn't much of a drive from downtown. I'm sure you've already pencilled in The Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, running up the Rocky steps etc.

Aaron O
01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
It really depends on your interests...as stated above, I'll toss some coal on the cheese steak fire. Pats is God awful and Genos is worse. The best steaks are in Roxborough...Chubbys and Delasandros...but neither is a tourist area. As far as good, touristy cheese steak places...I'd go with Jims on South Street or Tony Lukes.

Seriously...Pats and Genos are awful.

If you're cycling, I'd go up the river trail and through to Valley Forge...nice easy and scenic ride. It'll take you through Manayunk...stop by Cadence to see cool stuff you can't afford. Well...I can't afford it anyway.

The museums are great...the ROdin is worth a visit and if you have kids the please touch museum is a must (and the Franklin Institute). The Mutter Museum is interesting, and disgusting. The Simeone Auto Museum is a must if you like cars or auto racing. I have no interest in cars or racing but found it fascinating.

Food...tons of good places, but most are ethnic places in neighborhoods

It really depends on what you're looking for...shopping? Tourist history stuff? Food? Definitely stop by Rittenhouse Park with a loved one.

If you're into classic bikes stop by Via at 9th and South...that place is a AMAZING.

Louis
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM

+1 Way, way overrated IMO. I wouldn't bother.

Louis
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Aaron, what's the "old timey" bar / restaurant down near the Liberty Bell? Near a street with cobblestones big enough to break your ankles. They have some old-style "Ben Franklin type" beer samplers that I thought were very good and worth recommending.

Aaron O
01-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Aaron, what's the "old timey" bar / restaurant down near the Liberty Bell? Near a street with cobblestones big enough to break your ankles. They have some old-style "Ben Franklin type" beer samplers that I thought were very good and worth recommending.

Louis - not sure...I don't typically hang out near Olde City...but if there is one thing Philly has in abundance, it's beer options and microbrews. Monks was a great call for beer (though the food is blahhh and it's CROWDED). The tourists have been going down to that bar owned by one of the guys from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I'm GUESSING you mean City Tavern where they dress up in colonial costumes.

Louis
01-12-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm GUESSING you mean City Tavern where they dress up in colonial costumes.

I just looked it up on the web. I think that's it. (yes, they did dress up in colonial costumes)

All my visits to Philadelphia have been for business, and the guys I was with chose the City Tavern. It would not have been my first choice, because it looked to me like a typical tourist trap, but the beer sampler really changed my mind. Worth checking out if one is in the area anyway for all the other historical stuff nearby.

Aaron O
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I've never eaten at city tavern actually. Next time you're here tell them to take you to Amada. Food is GREAT!

Idris Icabod
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I used to hang out at a British bar occassionally, I think it was on the corner of 2nd (or 3rd) and South.

peanutgallery
01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Society hill is cool, been here a few times. you can break your ankle no problem

http://www.darkhorsepub.com/

rounder
01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Go to the Art museum and run up the steps...ala Rocky. It is close to the start of Core States, or whatever they call it these days. It is beautiful there. Go to Constitution Hall. Take in the history.

rdparadise
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Well, rumor has it Philly has the original Liberty Bell. Yeah, it's a tourist attraction and worth a look-see. There is a Norman Rockwell museum within walking distant from the bell. It may be on 6th or 7th sts.

Museum row is worth a look. The Art Museum has great Impressionist period painting from all the greats. It's worth a couple hours easily. The other museums mentioned above a great too. The zoo is pretty cool (Girard Ave.). Walk or run or rollerblade the path behind the Art Museum from West River Dr. over the Falls Bridge and up Kelly Dr. Kelly has all of the boat houses which if the weather is nice, there should be some boats out rowing.

For cheese steaks, Tony Lukes, Oregon Ave is very good. Reading Terminal Mkt is pretty cool. It's between 10th and 11th. Quite the market and good cheese steaks there too, along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

If you are bringing a bike their are some rides that head out from behind the Art Museum in the early morning and evenings (yes, night riding). Vino-Velo is a fast group that rides year around. Typically Tuesday and Thursday nights. I can't remember if they meet behind the museum or at the statue by 26th across from the Art Museum. Either way it's for the fast boys for sure (not me :-) ).

Beers, tons of bars with great variety, Munks, of course, plus others.

Good luck and have some fun.

Bob

Louis
01-13-2012, 12:40 AM
The Barnes Foundation (http://www.barnesfoundation.org/)

Probably one of the single greatest private art collections in the world. Unfortunately it's been taken over in a power grab by the museum industrial complex and is in the process of being moved to "museum row." I'm not sure how much of the collection is currently on display. Last year my sister and I did a day trip to Merion to see it the way Albert Barnes intended it to be seen. Very cool.

If you want to know the details, watch the move "The Art of the Steal." (NYT review) (http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/movies/26artof.html)

Aaron O
01-13-2012, 06:54 AM
The Barnes Foundation (http://www.barnesfoundation.org/)

Probably one of the single greatest private art collections in the world. Unfortunately it's been taken over in a power grab by the museum industrial complex and is in the process of being moved to "museum row." I'm not sure how much of the collection is currently on display. Last year my sister and I did a day trip to Merion to see it the way Albert Barnes intended it to be seen. Very cool.

If you want to know the details, watch the move "The Art of the Steal." (NYT review) (http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/movies/26artof.html)

That's not exactly how I'd view the Barnes situation.

Barnes died decades ago, left an unrealistic legacy that wasn't financially feasible and which required donations from the art world...and then the town would block the folks they wanted donations from accessing the museum. They had money problems several times because they refused access to the museum and had already violated provisions of Barne's will by allowing pieces to travel. They refused compromise until the very end. They wanted a small fairyland on their terms paid for by others. The board was dysfunctional and they ended up bankrupt.

Now people actually get to see it. I visited the Barnes twice in Merion and it's exceptionally wonderful. It's sad that the grounds won't be be part of it anymore, but at least there is access.

skijoring
01-13-2012, 07:01 AM
I'd go direct to Engin Cycles, but call first. :)

torquer
01-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I guess Genos is not the place to wear your Rangers jersey:
http://gothamist.com/2012/01/13/suspect_in_rangers_fan_beating_turn.php
"The video of the beating, which occurred outside of Geno's Steaks after the Winter Classic match between the Rangers and the Flyers, showed apparent Flyers fans—wearing team jerseys—beating two men wearing Rangers jerseys. One victim, off-duty NJ cop Neal Auricchico, is still recovering; he suffered a concussion and needs surgery to "repair a bone beneath his eye that was damaged in the attack."

Aaron O
01-13-2012, 02:34 PM
We do get some drunken buffoons...and Pats/Genos is one of those late night drunk eats areas. Alcohol and stupidity go hand in hand.

maunahaole
01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
The esteemed institutions of Santa Claus and Mike Schmidt have taken their knocks from Philly. What do you think is going to happen if you show up in NYR gear? They all think that they have license to go Dave Schultz on him.

nahtnoj
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I would start at the Mason Museum, walk through City Hall to Reading Terminal Market, loop over to Independence Hall, then walk down through Washington Square into Society Hill, through Queen Village and Bella Vista to the Italian Market (9th street). By this time you will have killed the better part of a day, seen some of the coolest neighborhoods in the United States, and walked past countless places to get world-class food and beer.

But if you want to run up and down an effing set of stairs and eat greasy rancid meat on a roll, be my guest.

maunahaole
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I would start at the Mason Museum, walk through City Hall to Reading Terminal Market, loop over to Independence Hall, then walk down through Washington Square into Society Hill, through Queen Village and Bella Vista to the Italian Market (9th street). By this time you will have killed the better part of a day, seen some of the coolest neighborhoods in the United States, and walked past countless places to get world-class food and beer.

But if you want to run up and down an effing set of stairs and eat greasy rancid meat on a roll, be my guest.

This is great stuff. Please add some suggestions on the good food and beer spots on the way.

nahtnoj
01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
This is great stuff. Please add some suggestions on the good food and beer spots on the way.

Roughly tracking the course I plotted:

Spataro in Reading Terminal Market for an Italian Hoagie.
Samson Street Oyster House - 13th and Samson.
Fat Salmon - 8th and Walnut - sushi. Sake. Which tastes like piss.
La Fourno - owner Al and head waiter Francis provide the best service in the city. You can go there and spend $8 on pizza or $30 on veal parm. Both are sensational. On South between 6th and 7th.
DiMitri's - 3rd and Catherine. Mediterrianan. Impossibly tiny places that cranks out consistently awesome food. BYOB. Lots of small plate options.
Southwark - 4th and Bainbridge. Cocktails.
Tapestry - 5th and Bainbridge. Beers galore.
Ralph's Italian Restaurant. 9th and Catherine. Old school Italian. Call ahead weeks in advance for a weekend table if you aren't connected. Veal, veal, veal.
Sarcone's - 9th and Fitzwater. Sicilian pizza.

Louis
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
^^^^^ Sounds like quite a few calories. Have fun. :)

shankldu
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys for the info ,all sound like good ideas ,the gf is pleased and she printed your ideas to take along with us .

nahtnoj
01-13-2012, 04:26 PM
How on God's Green Earth did I forget the Famous 4th Street Deli? Other corner of 4th and Bainbridge.

Aaron O
01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
The plan above is good...

I have some additions.

Stop by Via at 9th and Bainbridge. It's in this area. Have breakfast/brunch at Sabrinas if you can...the place is excellent. Make sure you stop by DiBruno Brothers and try some cheese. Grab a canoli at Isgros...9th and Christian.

Ray
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Jon's suggested route is good. A couple of other food suggestions pretty much on that route - in Reading Terminal, Dinic's has great roast pork sandwiches - with sharp provolone and greens. And once you're down at the Italian Market, you're not too far from that part of south Philly where Pats and Genos are - but I agree that you should avoid those. But right around the corner, on I think 11th and Federal, is a little corner hoagie shop called Chickies that will absolutely redefine your idea of what a hoagie is supposed to be. Simply amazing, with incredible Italian meats and cheeses, long hots - just get the Chickies Special and/or the Veggie, both of which are absolutely incredible. You'll never think of a hoagie as a hoagie again... But just walking through that whole Society Hill area and through the Italian Market is a great part of the City to see...

Oh, and a block south of South Street on about 4th or 5th is The Famous Deli, which is a great breakfast place, but if you're not careful about what you order, you could end up with something made with 6-8 eggs on your plate. And you might run into Ed Rendell, who's known to frequent the place, but I've never seen him there. If you try to eat at all of these places, you'll be dead by noon, but they're good enough to check out on different days!

-Ray

edit - I just noticed that Jon also mentioned the Famous. That's two recommendations and well earned...

rdparadise
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM
One note,

Ralph's is indeed all Italian and does not take credit so if you plan to go thing bring your Frans!

Good ideas guys.

Bob

reforester
01-14-2012, 06:35 AM
While you are there take a quick jaunt over to Camden, NJ crime capital of the US.

Ray
01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey, locals. We're gonna be around Center City with an out of town guest tomorrow and will probably looking for a good cheesesteak place that's open on Sundays. Any ideas? Campos gets good reviews, but generally from a lot of the same people who like Pats and Genos, so I don't trust 'em. Reading Terminal is closed on Sundays except for the Diner right across from Market East and they're steaks are nothing to write home about.

I'm open to suggestion...

-Ray

Aaron O
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey, locals. We're gonna be around Center City with an out of town guest tomorrow and will probably looking for a good cheesesteak place that's open on Sundays. Any ideas? Campos gets good reviews, but generally from a lot of the same people who like Pats and Genos, so I don't trust 'em. Reading Terminal is closed on Sundays except for the Diner right across from Market East and they're steaks are nothing to write home about.

-Ray

Tony Luke's has a location near 18th and chestnut, but I don't know their hours.

thegunner
01-14-2012, 12:56 PM

-Ray

d'allesandros or cosmis!

Aaron O
01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Both excellent selections...but neither is close to center city.

thegunner
01-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Both excellent selections...but neither is close to center city.

not d'alessandros, but cosmi's deli is reasonably close

Aaron O
01-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Cosmis is in South Philly...about 3 miles from what I'd call Center City. It's around 8th and dickinson as I recall. To me...that's further than I'd take someone just for a sandwich.

Ray
01-14-2012, 04:39 PM
not d'alessandros, but cosmi's deli is reasonably close

Yeah, Cosmi's is down a little south of Pats and Genos and they're open tomorrow. Do they have seating inside?

Thanks,

-Ray

thegunner
01-14-2012, 05:05 PM
unfortunately i think you're out of luck on the seating situation :(

Aaron O
01-14-2012, 05:42 PM
It is awfully good though...Cosmis makes my top 10.

Tony Lukes makes a good sandwich and it's convenient...I'd go there. The location in town is called Tony Lukes Jr. as I recall.

Ray
01-15-2012, 08:35 AM
We'll probably do Tony Lukes then - looks like its right off of Rittenhouse and that's where our friends are staying. So a good starting point and then go walk some of the city to work it off! :cool:

-Ray

nahtnoj
01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Ray,

Too late, but Reading Terminal is open on Sunday. Not all of the stands are open (Amish ones obviously) but a lot of the larger food vendors are cranking. I was there following a visit to the Convention Center. I think Sunday hours are 10-4.

Ray
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I know - not open on New Years Day (except for that Diner) be we ended up walking through the market, getting coffee and desert, etc, and warming up a bit. Sunday was a COLD day to be walking through the city! Ended up having steaks at Campos, on Market close to 2nd. Not the biggest steaks in town, but very good - a choice of American, Provelone, and Whiz, so you can have it how you like it.

I'll have to save Cosmis for sometime when I'm in by myself and walking more extensively. Problem is that if I walk down that far, I usually get a Hoagie at Chickies... (and a couple more to bring home with me).

-Ray

BCS
07-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Passed through philadelphia yesterday and had a cheesesteak at Johns Roast Pork. We initially stopped at Cosmi's but the fam thought the neighborhood was a little sketchy. A near foodgasm. The owner has a bit of the soup-nazi character (he has a pic of him in the shop) but highly recommended

Aaron O
07-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Passed through philadelphia yesterday and had a cheesesteak at Johns Roast Pork. We initially stopped at Cosmi's but the fam thought the neighborhood was a little sketchy. A near foodgasm. The owner has a bit of the soup-nazi character (he has a pic of him in the shop) but highly recommended

A lot of people swear by Johns...I wasn't that blown away. It's good, but I've had better. It's all subjective anyway.

I think I'm really over cheese steaks in general...I guess they wear on you after a while. It does sort of annoy me that Philly has so many great restaurants and so much good food and all anyone wants are cheese steaks and pretzels.

I visited the new Barnes and I have to say - it's amazing, one of the nicest museums I've been to and I actually like it more than the old Merion location. The Merion location had the beautiful grounds, but this has a cafe, water fountains...etc. I'm glad it's in Philly - it belongs where people can access it and they did a fantastic job.

alancw3
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
born and raised in the philly suburbs i.e. bryn mawr. so you need to go to see the liberty bell, first national bank, betsy ross house. there is a whole map full of historical sites to see in the area. if you have time (ihope) go to valley forge also. these would be my choices.