PDA

View Full Version : MX Leader ride impressions

Climb01742
02-16-2004, 02:22 PM
finally picked up my built-up MX Leader yesterday. i got if off ebay. It's from early-mid 90s and in motorola colors. it has original threaded steel fork. so come hell or high water, i was riding today.

today hell just about froze over. at 8 this morning, it was zero here. but thank heavens, not a wisp of wind. i mention the weather mostly to give my ride impressions a context. in that weather, if i had a nice ride, well, it HAD to be the bike.

my first impression was to remember something the jerk (i believe) said once, as eddy himself fitted the jerk for a frame. "there are lighter bikes, but not faster bikes." the mx leader is a seeming contradiction: a heavy bike that feels fast. the bike just seems to want to get up and go. there is no mistaking its heft, but on the flats and rolling hills, this eddy goes. it soaks up road bumps, not magically like carbon or ti, but really nicely, like good steel. at this point in the winter, the roads in new england are pot-holed to a frightening extent. but the mx rolls over them with stately grace and stability. the steering isn't quick, but very predictable and stable.

i tend to spin at a pretty high cadence and use small gears. this eddy seems to like a slightly slower cadence and bigger gear. which makes sense, i think. this was orginally built for powerful racers, far more powerful than i am even in my dreams. so pretty soon, i simply geared down one or two sprockets, and all was a-ok.

this seems like a perfect winter bike. if you rode this all winter, you would be a lot stronger come spring and you wouldn't be beaten up. it will be fun to ride the mx this summer when i'm in better shape, to see how fast it really can go. while i agree that weight isn't everything, i really wouldn't want to climb a mountain on this puppy. but for just about everything else, the mx feels classic in every sense. i can see myself riding this in 10 years or 20 years. i nabbed this frame for $500. dollar for dollar, is there a better value in the world? eddy, i'm not worthy, but darn, i'm glad i've got it.

dnovo
02-16-2004, 02:41 PM
I echo all of your observations about the MX-Leader. Lovely, lovely bikes, with a build quality that matches their superb ride. Dave N.

Climb01742
02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
dave, your post reminded me of something: there isn't a round tube on the frame. every tube is shaped to perform its duty. the shapes are cool. a joy to look at, too. without a hint of fussness, it really is a beauty.

Ginger
02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
We all have our ideas of what's "light" and what's not light. Some of us are weight weenies, and some of us aren't.

So...out of idle curiosity (as there is no other kind)

How much "not light" does this bike weigh? Throw the pup on the scale and let us know!

MadRocketSci
02-16-2004, 05:36 PM
i'd say climb the mountains with that bad boy to get the Eddy descending experience. I gained 6.5 lbs when I stood on a scale with my Atlanta frame, fork,and hs. Lots o climbing done on it. How much more could the Eddy weigh?

don't mountain bikes weigh like 25+ lbs?

Matt Barkley
02-16-2004, 05:45 PM
I have always been fond of the MX Leader. My favorite tubeset, the Columbus Minimax was so neat to look at. I remember it on a Bianchi at a shop in Boston. Climb, I hear you on the comments about the Max functional tubesets. I have only ridden Max on a Battiglin. Solid stuff...

M_A_Martin
02-16-2004, 07:51 PM
whoa... depeneds on where you buy it...and like all bikes, what you buy.

Last time it was on the scale my full suspension Jamis was 24.5lbs...I know...call you a liar for .5 (I really should weigh it without dirt sometime, I've added lighter parts!)
My buddies bring their hardtails around 19 and under. Even less for those titanium single speeders out there..

Downhillers still ring in at 30lbs or better...they don't care about weight.

MadRocketSci
02-16-2004, 08:14 PM
i seem to remember my Klein Adept Comp full suspension weighing in at 26 lbs. I used to climb that on roads to get to the mtb areas. Then, i discovered poison oak one too many times...

my atlanta w/centaur/chorus weighs 22 lbs :)

davids
02-17-2004, 08:27 AM
:confused: My Klein Adept Comp weighs 27 lbs, after replacing the stem, seatpost, and entire drivetrain with (marginally) lighter parts. Hmm. Maybe the Marzocchi Atom Race weighs more than the OEM Manitou?

CarlosContreros
02-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Eddy Merckx Max!
I once owned an MX Leader...Telecom team colors(charcoal
and fuscia) and what a paint job at that!
Awesome bike!! a sprinters dream bike!
I was sprinting at every opportunity! I was riding my
legs into the ground because there was so much "JOY"!
to be had sprinting on that bike!
I also loved just looking at it...it looked like a bike that
had been given a steady diet of steroids and then spent
a lot of time in the gym!
The fork was also just a marvel to look at as well!
I can't decide now??..a custom C111? or a custom MX
painted in Motorola colors??
The new "mega-tubing" that Serotta is now offering on
the larger sizes of the C111 has made my decision TOUGH!!
If they still offered the F-1 fork that might sway me to
go with the Serotta..but since they don't I will continue
to consider!!
CC:crap:

vaxn8r
02-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Mad Rocket,

What size is your Atlanta?

Mine is a 56 cm. With Ultegra and DA CXP 30 wheels (2100g wheelset) its 21 lbs even.

Calculating everything out I would have guessed my frame fork and HS to be about 6 even.

MadRocketSci
02-18-2004, 02:01 PM
It's a 56 also. I've got 32x Open Pro's with Centaur hubs, an older, noticeably heavier modolo handlebar, old shimano 600 headset, and time impacts (steel axle, basic model) on it....22 lbs on the hanging butcher scale...

I think the electronic bathroom scale i used measures in 0.5 lb increments, so anything over 6 might come up as 6.5...actually came up as 7 a couple of times too??!!

I think the steel used in the atlanta's changed from year to year. The old forum says 531, and mines a '97. So if you have a newer one, it might be using a lighter tubeset.