PDA

View Full Version : Commuter bike

rice rocket
01-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Looks like I'm on my way to becoming a bicycle commuter. I found a nearby job that's a manageable commute on the bike. Now the only thing I need is a bike to do it on. I already have two bikes, neither of which I would want to lock up to a pole anywhere.

So, time for a third. :) Not looking to get anything too valuable.

Going along w/ the Pez's thread last month of ultra-cheap commuters, anyone ever order anything from red2bicycle.com (http://www.red2bicycle.com)? They have some sub-$300 fixed/single options that are undoubtedly bottom of the barrel components, but that might fit the bill here. The only thing that bothers me about their bikes is the "track geometry" with steeeeeeep tube angles. For bikes in my size, that = huge toe overlap...

The other bike I was considering is the Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/uno.htm). It's a 72 deg HTA and 74 deg STA, which is pretty similar to my road bike, which I already have toe overlap on. This would be 5mm longer in the top tube, .5 deg shallower in the HTA, and 2mm longer in the rake, which might be just enough to eliminate the overlap. I can also get shorter cranks if it's very close to clearing too.

Any opinions on either? I like the latter option for tire clearance, and for having regular drop bars (and levers) on it instead of those funny-business levers on the flats of track bars.

Any other options to throw in?

AngryScientist
01-12-2012, 07:11 AM
my commuter was formerly a windsor clockwork from BD, replaced a few things, turns out to be a absolutely great bike. it's a size 49, and toe overlap exists, but is certainly not a problem for me. dirt cheap bike, with a solid frame, fork, crankset. if you start to commute often, you'll probably want to upgrade the wheels on whatever you buy cheap.

i carry what i need for work in a messenger bag, consider that before you buy a bike.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lqh20BpzuXI/TrErHRT1x_I/AAAAAAAAAJU/wpaAoY-iPOo/s320/IMG_0069.jpg

Nooch
01-12-2012, 07:14 AM
I like the idea of the fantom cross uno, especially if it might accept fenders..

But for not even a hundred more I'd go for a hybrid like the 7.1fx.. it'd be pretty indestructible, takes racks and fenders, and switches it up a little from the norm..

just my $.02 if I were buying a dedicated commuter.. for what it's worth, I'm going to start commuting on my cannondale CX9 with ruffy tuffy's, because it's what I have. Not sure how I feel about locking it up outside, but I prefer outside to the inconvenience of locking it in my office where I need to ask for someone to get it out of storage for me...

edit: and like AS, I carry a backpack with clothes and such. I don't have to take anything home from the office so it works for me.

rice rocket
01-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Can't track stand with massive overlap! The only bike I've had w/o overlap is a Scott CR1, which had a 71 deg HTA and 45mm fork rake. I gave it to my father last year and rode it this past Thanksgiving, it was so nice to not have to worry about making contact.

I've got to find a bag for sure, a waterproof one would be nice.

tsarpepe
01-12-2012, 07:25 AM
If your commute is, say, 1/2 hour each way, you will be 1hr on the bike each day. This means that this will probably become your most ridden bike. God knows, you may even discover that after all those hours of commuting each week, you are less likely to reach for a bike on the weekends. If so, why don't you get a bike that you will really enjoy, rather than some anonymous alu beater whose main positive trait is that it can be chained to a pole?

d_man16
01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
I just got ahold of an old Trek 760 (which I've ended up falling in love with pepe is right you get very acquainted with your commuter) it gets the job done nicely and doesn't attract the eye of anyone who'd be looking to take it. Although it has a full superbee pro group on??

Bags:

I use a messenger bag on sort commutes (or when I've got to tote my computer) but if I've got to get to a site that's longer than 30 min or so I prefer to use my ortliebs (no back sweat) and I can pick up groceries on the way home, if I've got the messenger bag and the panniers.

Good luck

~D

phcollard
01-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I'd say don't get the cheapo bikes that you mention. They will be mediocre at best. Try to find an old lugged steel frame like a Trek 400 or something and slap a cheap used gruppo on it. For instance there's a Shimano 600 group complete with wheels for $250 in the Classic & Vintage section of bikeforums right now. A Trek 400 frame can be found for $50-100 and you're almost all set.

Oh and get a frame with fender eyelets!

Likes2ridefar
01-12-2012, 08:50 AM
My first heavily used commuter was a Redline 925. it worked great, but the single speed could be a drag occasionally when dealing with a strong wind. it came stock with good fenders and allowed racks to be mounted. If you are doing any sort of distance or will be taking things with you daily a rack is a great investment. ortlieb bags are really easy to use, and I'm sure there are others that work just as well.

I eventually got rid of the 925 mostly due to having too many race bikes in the apartment.

I now commute on a 'cross bike, a Specialized Crux, with full 7900 dura-ace. i lock it outside, but mostly hidden from the Manhattan population right by my works entrance in a vestibule off the street. I used to be nervous, but have insurance so I hope they actually insure the thing if it gets stolen. been a few years now though and never had an issue.

when the ice comes I have studded tires by schwalbe that are a joy to ride. I wish it would snow so I could pop them on!

I spend about 45 minutes each way riding, and like one mentioned I think you should at least get a bike you'll enjoy. I eventually changed nearly everything on the 925 because it could not stand up to the high miles and winter weather. Even the 'cross bike really took a beating last winter. I had SRAM Rival last year and it was basically destroyed after 3 months of nasty winter commuting.

buldogge
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Completely agree... There are tons and tons of great US and Japanese steel out there for the picking'. Depending on your commute and location, an older MTB with slicks in nice weather can be useful as well.

-Mark in St. Louis

I'd say don't get the cheapo bikes that you mention. They will be mediocre at best. Try to find an old lugged steel frame like a Trek 400 or something and slap a cheap used gruppo on it. For instance there's a Shimano 600 group complete with wheels for $250 in the Classic & Vintage section of bikeforums right now. A Trek 400 frame can be found for $50-100 and you're almost all set.

Oh and get a frame with fender eyelets!

Bradford
01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm back to commuting in the last month. I agree with above, if you don't enjoy the ride, it is awful tough to get out of bed and ride, especially when the temp drops below 40.

Over the years I've commuted on race bikes and mountain bikes, but hands down the best ride is my touring bike. A touring bike gets you upright enough to see in rush hour traffic, takes wide tires and fenders (necessary for winter rides), and the rack will come in handy for clothes and a laptop. (Even when I plan well and stock up the office, I still end up needing a place to carry stuff).

Pick up a used Trek or Cannondale touring bike and you won't mind leaving it outside. You might even want to give it a bad rattle can paint job if you want to discourage theft even more.

I'm lucky, I have a locked cage at the office and I can leave a couple of locks there, so I don't mind taking in my IF. But if I were locking it up outside, I be looking for an old Cannondale.

benitosan1972
01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
For those of us (most of us here, haha) that appreciate nice bikes & nice bike parts, getting a cheap beater/commuter will only mean one thing: that you'll end up replacing/upgrading/switching alot of parts to customize/improve it. You'll probably end up spending more on a cheap bike in the long run than getting something that's nicer to begin with. I agree with the opinions that since it will be your commuter, you'll be spending more time on it, thus noticing things like the wheels, drivetrain, cockpit, etc.

You may want to start with something like a cheap(er) frame. I like Motobecanes & Merciers from Bikes Direct, but often times the wheels (esp the hubs & bearings) are horrible on them. Upgrade to strong/smoother wheels. Of course, since you'll be commuting, you'll want a comfy saddle, bars, and possibly good pedals. I've found that stuff like stems, posts, even cranks can be generic and fine for commuting purposes, but upgrade the stuff that really count. Sealed bearing hubs, bb, hs, etc. Fenders. Some sort of bags, rack, or basket. And tires, you want good, flat resistant tires.

For alot of people, a commuter/beater is mostly something that looks low-key/plain-jane, but rides solid. Also, invest in good locks, lights, and a comfortable baggage system that works for you (backpack, panniers, messenger bag, etc). Lastly, the art of stickerbombing always makes a bike "look" more commuter/beater. Putting stickers on your bike makes it less appealing to thieves (covers up logos), as well as protects it from scratching during lockup.

Good luck!

DfCas
01-12-2012, 09:40 AM
The Bikes Direct frame has such a high Bottom bracket I suspect it would have some toe overlap. I really dislike High BB's.

tsarpepe
01-12-2012, 09:40 AM
No need for any old Treks, I say. Salsa Casseroll and Surly Crosscheck f-sets can be had for about $300 new. Put a dependable goodie-oldie group on it with something like CXP30s and roll! You'll probably be twice over your budget, but hey: a bike that maybe ridden ~5k miles a year deserves it.

keevon
01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
This means that this will probably become your most ridden bike... why don't you get a bike that you will really enjoy?

+100. You'll notice anything that you don't like about the bike every morning and every evening. Over time, that builds up and you'll either commute less or grab your other bikes instead.

I would strongly recommend you get something with the following traits:

1) Ability to replicate your road position exactly.
2) Ability to run fenders and wider tires.

Also, see if there's somewhere you can store your bike inside. That will take the anxiety out of locking your bike outside.

4Rings6Stars
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm going through this right now. 90% of my rides and probably 75% of my miles are on my commuter while the bikes I love to ride ( my Merckxs and IF) are hanging in the garage.

I commuted on beaters for a while, then upgraded to aluminum cross bikes with fenders then recently built up a 1981 Trek 710, reynolds 531 with fender and rack brazeons built with 6600 / 6500 mix. I thought I would love this bike but for some reason I can't quite grasp, I don't.

It's currently for sale on the Boston CL (52x54), with fenders there is some toe overlap but I've gotten used to it.

I'm selling that bike to fund the build of my new commuter, Soma Double Cross DC with discs and a shimergo build captained by Record 10 ergos.

juanj
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
The alternative to getting a bike that replicates your current road position, assuming you are in an aero position now, is to get a bike that will allow you to sit more upright. I'm thinking of a more European commuter position than an American commuter position. I saw a commuter in one of those more upright Civia bikes the other day--he wasn't going fast but he looked to be enjoying the his ride very much. There are several variables here, but one of the big ones is what you want the commute to do for you: will it replace some of your training or will it simply serve to help you get from point A to point B in a comfortable and relaxed manner?

buldogge
01-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I agree completely on the "loving the bike you're riding" theme, I was just offering advice within the parameters of the OPs post. I have the luxury of riding whatever bike I wish and bringing it into my office/work.

Another thought is to put a WTB up in the classifieds and find a cosmetically bad but functionally good Serotta/etc....no decals/logos, rough paint...simple components...again, nicked/dull but functional (Campy 10s would be my choice, of course).

-Mark in St. Louis

buldogge
01-12-2012, 10:20 AM
This is a good point.

How long will the commute be...what conditions??

-Mark

The alternative to getting a bike that replicates your current road position, assuming you are in an aero position now, is to get a bike that will allow you to sit more upright. I'm thinking of a more European commuter position than an American commuter position. I saw a commuter in one of those more upright Civia bikes the other day--he wasn't going fast but he looked to be enjoying the his ride very much. There are several variables here, but one of the big ones is what you want the commute to do for you: will it replace some of your training or will it simply serve to help you get from point A to point B in a comfortable and relaxed manner?

Ken Robb
01-12-2012, 10:20 AM
An old Bridgestone MB-1,2,or 3 makes a fine urban assault/commuter w/eyelets and good robust stock parts. That doesn't sound like it would be "you" though.

Could you take a bikefriday inside with you?

juanj
01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
RE: the 49cm Fantom Uno: 779 sto--what's up with that? I ride small bikes, and the bar on that 49 would be too high for me.

I like the looks of this Bringhelli (know nothing about the bike or seller):
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/thinning-herd;-17-mtb-50cm-58cm-road-24276.html

GuyGadois
01-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I I took an old Trek 420 and updated it to the Banana Stand. I could have gone cheaper on components and been under $300. Good solid bike worth of its name. It's heavy but has a smooth ride. I did spend a few $ adding some brazes and getting a new paint job but for a commuter those are optional and depending on where your riding could be a mistake.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99902

GG

http://gallery.me.com/danspeirs/100883/IMG_1413/web.jpg?ver=13218422340001

GuyGadois
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh, check out that MB-1 from Bob Loblaw posted a week ago...

oliver1850
01-12-2012, 04:53 PM
If you're at all interested in the MTB with slicks idea, I have a small early 90s Trek with LX that might work for you. I have a similar Cannondale with 1 1/2" slicks and it works very nicely for me. I suppose you could even put a drop bar on with Sora STI or bar cons. HTA was 71 on most sizes, but the XS (13.5") was 70.5. Not sure what size this one is, but could check the toe overlap.

palincss
01-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Looks like I'm on my way to becoming a bicycle commuter. I found a nearby job that's a manageable commute on the bike. Now the only thing I need is a bike to do it on. I already have two bikes, neither of which I would want to lock up to a pole anywhere.

Is there secure parking indoors at your new location? It makes a huge difference.