PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Serotta Purchase - Help

sokyroadie
01-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Never mind - I didn't mean to start WWIII.

Jeff

feta99
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Sounds off. Lets hope they shipped you the wrong frame. Otherwise that is a great deal on a Serotta Ti frameset!

ludedude
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
CCL 56 058
Jeff

My understanding is that the "CCL" is the model, "56" is the frame size (seat tube length center to top), and "058" is the production number.

Good luck!

AngryScientist
01-11-2012, 06:40 PM
a s/n of CCL 56 058

Jeff,

you've got a size 56 frame, for sure.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078

Ken Robb
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
it looks like it's a compact geometry nominal 56cm frame which has a 53cm seat tube. A dealer should know better than to call it a 53cm frame.

Birddog
01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
You received a 56, what was described in the auction is something else.

AngryScientist
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Q: Please provide the following measurements: 1. Top tube c/c. 2. Seat tube c/c & c/t. 3. Standover. Is the fork 1-1/8"? BB English thread. What is the frame weight?

A: 1. Top tube is 53cm. 2. Seat tube c-c is 50cm and 53cm c-t. 3. Standover height is 30.75" 4. Fork is standard 1 1/8 threadless. 5. Bottom bracket is English threaded. 6. Frame weighs 3.04 lbs.

yea, he got it wrong in the Q/A portion too. the size was misrepresented totally if you received what he intended to send you.

christian
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
CCL would indicate a custom Classique, so sounds like you've got a custom 56. Nice bike.

Aaron O
01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't think you'd have a whole heck of a lot of trouble getting your cash back on that - beautiful!

BCS
01-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Contact ebay buyer protection. They got me a full refund on some wheels that were not right. Start by emailing the seller and document everything.

ultraman6970
01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
As usual clueless sellers measure top tube wrong in a sloping geometry frame. Sure u can sell it or something, why don't u try here 1st???

cincytri
01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Hopefully it works out for you with the seller, but as others have mentioned, you'll have no trouble selling that frame set. If you end up selling it, let me know.

sokyroadie
01-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Never mind.

AngryScientist
01-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the replies - I was not implying that I would be stuck with it. I am sure it won't be a problem returning it, since they are a brick & mortar bike shop. I just hope they shipped the wrong size - but I doubt it. I will list it here if they don't have the correct size.

Jeff

it does sound funny that a real bike shop wouldnt know how to measure a frame, as you mentioned, hopefully it was just a shimming mix-up. good luck getting it sorted.

tiretrax
01-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Just looking at the bike and the head tube, I would expect it to be a 56-57. If it is a brick and mortar store, they probably hired a kid or put someone's wife is in charge of ebay. I'm sure they'll take it back.

Nice bike, by the way.

cincytri
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't NEED another frameset. However, you are just down the road from me and I'd hate to see that frame go back to the shop. PM if the dealer would consider selling to me instead of a return. Either way, good luck.

sokyroadie
01-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Never mind.

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 06:26 AM
at least it seems like the seller is being very reasonable for what was likely a screw-up on their part.

it stinks to get your hopes up for something that doesnt come together. hopefully something new comes your way soon in the right size.

merlinmurph
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I think what's important to remember here is that mistakes happen. If it's clear that the seller had no intention on misleading you and simply screwed up somehow, the best they can do is take the frame back and pay for all shipping. If they do that, I would would call that a good transaction and would thank the seller for his service. Stuff happens, particularly when shipping is involved.

I've found that when buying stuff mail order, eBay, etc., a vendor or seller's rating is very important to me, above all other criteria. When looking at ratings, I don't really care what people have to say when everything goes smoothly. I look at the transactions where things go awry and how they were handled by both the buyer and the seller.

Again, if they take the frame back with no out-of-pocket expense to you, that's a good transaction.

That's my 2 cents,
Murph

John M
01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I agree with Merlinmurph. I don't see how the seller needs to do anything other than take the frame back and provide a refund. Sorry, Jeff, I can't see how you can think that the seller should provide a new Serotta at any discount from MSRP.

sokyroadie
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Never Mind.

Aaron O
01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I dont buy into the new reasoning that every screw up should be sugarcoated and a group hug given. If I screw up I do everything in my power to make it right, even if it costs me money out of pocket. They failed to provide what was promised - I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for the best deal possible to get what I was expecting.

I will have to package this on my own dollar, plus I am out a fairly large amount of $$$ until they refund my money.

If they don't want to deal, rest assured they will get negative feedback - yes I am a hardass.

Jeff

I can think of other words than hardass. Would you mind providing your ebay ID so that I can block it?

Merlin - dead on. They're making good and refunding the purchase. There is always going to be SOME risk in an online, haven't touched it in person, transaction and they are behaving reasonably. God forbid someone who bought something online has to pack something for a refund.

Your expectation isn't reasonable and is an excellent example of the flaw in the eBay feedback system.

I think I'm also going to try and find the seller and send them a link to this conversation. I have a feeling your expectations, threats and coercion are outside eBay policies.

jtakeda
01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm going to tend to agree with the crowd. When I make a mistake I do everything to make sure the buyer is happy. I'll refund all money and shipping costs both ways for the buyer. That is the loss I'm willing to take. Shipping both ways is more than fair for an online purchase.

Punishing the seller and making him sell a frame at cost AND take the frame back is a little unreasonable.

DRZRM
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Though the seller was a B&M shop, you bought the frame on ebay, and got a great deal. Clearly it was their f-up, and at a bare minimum they are responsible for refunding your money and taking back the frame, but anything else they do is a favor, not a responsibility. MSRP from a shop implies service responsibility. On the other hand, rock bottom pricing for a new frame, I'm surprised that this frame would come with a warrantee at all. Frankly, it seems like they would be doing you a great favor to get you a new frame at a discount off of MSRP, but that is hardly their responsibility. Do you really feel like the fact that this was an auction initiated from a B&M shop means that you have the rights to all of their service and protection? That has to be at least part of why they sold it on Ebay.