PDA

View Full Version : An Update From Ben Serotta

RedRider
01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Dear Friends of Serotta;

Welcome 2012.

As we continue to re-chart the company’s course I thought the turning of the New Year was an appropriate time to provide an update to anyone interested.

From the many phone calls and emails we receive daily and the numerous postings on various web sites and forums it’s clear that both our condition and direction are broadly misunderstood. Flowery obits are sweet but as has already been stated, news of our demise has been greatly exaggerated.

Before getting to any details, I would like to apologize for any frustration and/or confusion we may have caused. We are doing our best to address each inquiry.

The back story.
Entering the fifth decade of business, the challenges of the recent past provided me with the proverbial fork in the road. Change or change …as staying the same meant an end in some form of our about-to-be-forty-year enterprise.

One option was to follow the path of most of the industry by cutting costs in various ways including but not limited to direct or indirect out-sourcing. That may be fine for most of the high end brands and small builders out there, but it is not what Serotta is all about.

I’ve spent the better part of the last 40 years trying to build additional business volume in order to support the part of the business where my personal and the company’s passion rests- simply dedicated to creating the finest performance bicycles anywhere. So the epiphany was/is that the alternative to travelling the well-beaten path that is leading to a homogenization of the high-end bike market, is to only build the bikes that define our company- the best bicycles that can be built, built where we can take our attention to detail and proprietary innovation, in each and every detail, to the nth degree- here in the US.

Ahhh….passions ignited.

That means that our product line and therefore volume will for evermore be very limited as will our staffing. While we’re not trying to cut any corners in the product department we do have to be realistic about how much in-direct cost is appropriate to place on the price of our bikes. And to a large degree, that’s the hardest part of the transition period. Servicing the demands of the broader customer base of the past with a staff that is designed for the future leaves a lot of work for few hands. I am positive that our customers who have taken delivery of their Serottas over the past several months will agree, that while our communication and response time has been less than stellar, our quality has remained absolutely intact. For what it is worth, I would sooner close the business than deliver a lesser product. There are already plenty of brands doing that. Like I already said, we truly apologize for any inconvenience while we ‘remodel’. In these areas, we are making slow, steady progress.

Anyone –dealer, consumer, journalist; with questions, concerns or requests is invited to contact us at teamserotta@serotta.com and you will receive a reply in short order. This address is the central pipeline for incoming information and it’s the fasted way to have someone call you back ‘live’ on the phone if you need help whether it’s choosing your new bike, making a fitting appointment or solving a problem.

The following is a quick review of the changes underway:

Premise:
Serotta will endure as a sustainable, true-to-our-roots, American made brand of uncompromising quality and dedication to excellence and innovation.

• We are currently in the process of reviewing new terms and conditions and definition for being a Serotta dealer. Dealerships globally will likely be reduced to fewer than 30.
• Consumers will have a variety of purchase-through-the-factory options.
• Our product focus is the SE custom range where every last detail is a full expression of our design, engineering and manufacturing ethos. Over the next few months we will be eliminating or reducing availability of our other models, exclusive in some cases to a specific dealership.
• Location. At this time we expect to be in the same two locations for the foreseeable future. Experienced movers (we’ve moved at least 5 times before), should we change locations we’d not expect anything more than a small hick-up in operations.
• There has been much speculation about the company being for sale or having been sold. In a way, any for-profit business is always for sale. It’s about matching timing, vision and value. Contrary to rumors, we have not been sold to a discount on-line sales company or to anyone else. However, we have always been open to discussing ideas that will add value and opportunity to the company and its staff. I, now more than ever am passionately enthusiastic about the direction we are headed. We are similar to the great one-man artisan builders, yet we enjoy the privilege of experience, wealth of knowledge and an awesome toy box of sophisticated tools that none of the other artisan shops have…but most importantly, unlike the one-man artisan shops, most likely we’ll survive long after I’ve had enough of the business…or the business has had enough of me, because we’ve created an institution here, of quality, innovation, precision and process. We’ve mastered the art of finding and fostering the most talented craftsmen (and women) who as time has a way of doing also provide a stream of fresh energy and ideas to Serotta, one generation, not replacing, but building on the next.
• Yes, in case the cynical reader thinks I am trying to sugarcoat whatever negative has been heard…we have faced some very hard weeks and like any business brought to the precipice, full recovery takes time, but we are very much in business. Customers, current and future needn’t be worried; we’ll be building your bicycles for a long time to come.
• We are overloaded with email and our response time is not as quick as we would like it to be and we apologize for that. By estimate there are more than 30,000 Serottas still in circulation. It’s a big family and we’re a small company, so we ask for and appreciate your patience.

I hope that these points have answered your many questions and concerns. In closing I’d like to again thank all of our followers for your interest and concern in Serotta.

With kind regards,
Ben

EDS
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Long overdue.

echelon_john
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
agree it's overdue, but it's welcome. if ben wrote a note like this once a month, people would be cheering serotta on a lot more, even if they still needed to vent about response times, etc.

people who feel emotionally connected to a brand don't like to feel shunned/left out as that brand evolves. they like to feel privy and 'inside' the transition.

hope this is an indication that ben gets this, and will be more inclusive, despite the fact that he might not innately feel the need to be so.

i'm now more curious than skeptical, and all it took was a few paragraphs! communication is MAGIC!

jc

struggle
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
This is why I went to the trouble to buy one of your bikes. Well worth the wait in every detail I have seen so far and I have not even had it on the road yet.

The commitment from the selling dealer to make sure the bike fit properly was of the most concern through out my purchase. People that don't get the value of this are missing the boat on the whole package of a purchase.

Thank you!

best wishies in the future for you and your employees :beer:

"our quality has remained absolutely intact. For what it is worth, I would sooner close the business than deliver a lesser product"

"the best bicycles that can be built, built where we can take our attention to detail and proprietary innovation, in each and every detail, to the nth degree- here in the US "

spierfalls
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Good communication is the key to success and keeping the light on for people will keep them on your side. Nice

David Kirk
01-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I think this is very good news and the right path so that Serotta can keep building the bikes worthy of the name. Very cool.

Dave

Pete Serotta
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
PETE :beer: