PDA

View Full Version : Old Carbone tubulars--worth it?

crupshaw
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
I am going to look at some old-looking Cosmic Carbone tubulars (http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/2789665448.html) in a little while. Anyone have any experience with the older-style ones? I know some people really like the newer ones. The guy said that the tires probably need to be replaced (glue is cracking, been sitting a while). This will be my first experience with tubulars.

Worth the $250?

christian
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Those blow.

No, seriously, go get them. $250. Sh1t, why are you sitting in front of the internet. Heck, if you don't like 'em, I'll buy them off you for $275.

benitosan1972
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
For $250, it's probably worth the experimentation.

I have older Carbone clinchers, and other than the heavy weight, I've never had any problems with them. I paid like 2x your deal and they were used! But, I've never had any problems, so they are worth it to me.

Older Carbones = carbon fairings bonded to aluminum rims. They are strong, heavy, and have decent but not spectacular aerodynamics. But $250 if they are true & free of defects sounds reasonable enough of a price to try, IMO.

TAW
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I had a pair that were slightly newer, and I've ridden and worked on some of the newer ones. I liked the older ones better than the newer. You'll like them.