PDA

View Full Version : 2012 weight loss spreadsheet for forumites

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
remember this?

guess what? it's a new year, and we're still fat. soooooo, i revived and reposted it.
it's a good way to stay conscious of your progress, keep concrete goals in front of you, and share our progress together.

anyway, i updated the spreadsheet and posted it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzHRgA47uv4dEo1MzE5Z1BoeXFjTURpUFRIelZFR EE

anyone can edit, so feel free to add yourself but please use your forum screenname so we know who's who. and you can make tweaks if i screwed something up, i'm not a spreadsheet genius and the charting thing was a PITA to set up.

there's tabs at the bottom. ENTER WEIGHT tab is self-explanatory. ignore the DATA tab. CHART1 tab takes you to the graph

basically, add yourself to the top row, your current weight and target weight for the year. then you just update your weight every sunday. easy shneazy.

i posted this across the hall as well, so i'm hoping for good participation and an insanely unreadable graph by year's end. ;)

good luck everyone.

wooly
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm in and looking forward to peeling off the fat from my holiday well-fed carcass.

Liberace
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Off to a pretty good start so far. Was 228lbs in middle of December and slowly shedding the pounds. I try not to weigh myself, I just try to eat better and eat less. More water has definitely helped.

tiretrax
01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Off to a pretty good start so far. Was 228lbs in middle of December and slowly shedding the pounds. I try not to weigh myself, I just try to eat better and eat less. More water has definitely helped.
Eat less - that should be easy, but...I am so hungry after a ride. I never had that problem after a long run.

bikerboy337
01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Why not... been a tough few weeks, with holidays and a minor surgery, i havent worked out in a few weeks. Going to go for an easy ride today and hope to be able to train again next week...

wooly
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I shed 8 lbs last year by not eating after dinner. I was the classic snacker in the evenings. If I was really hungry I would have a glass of skim milk. The holidays just worked me so I'm back on the wagon.

vqdriver
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
just a quick note.

if you prefer to use kg instead of pounds, it's fine but there's a hiccup with the graph. it doesn't know what to do with the "kg" notation and it displays an error. so make your notation in your name and goal weight, but keep the starting weight and weekly updates as numbers only, that way you can still track your progress in the chart. any text in the data fields seems to confuse it.

thanks.

deechee
01-11-2012, 02:15 PM
thanks, yeah I better do this. Been pigging on chips & toblerone since the holidays for some reason.

Volant
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for doing this....something else to keep me motivated! :beer:

vqdriver
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Great. Now I want toblerone
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll2kmwK1Zl1qfjvvxo1_500.jpg

Volant
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
just a quick note.

if you prefer to use kg instead of pounds, it's fine but there's a hiccup with the graph. it doesn't know what to do with the "kg" notation and it displays an error. so make your notation in your name and goal weight, but keep the starting weight and weekly updates as numbers only, that way you can still track your progress in the chart. any text in the data fields seems to confuse it.

thanks.

OR, when entering data, just multiply your kg's by 2.2046 and you'll have an accurate weight in lbs to enter into the cell. That'll keep the chart straight.
If you don't want to do it by hand first just enter the formula =kg*2.2046 in the cell (replace kg with your actual weight in kilograms without the "kg"). So, if you weigh 70 kg, enter =70*2.2046 into the cell and it will show your weight in pounds.

Sandy
01-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I am in, but have an unfair disadvantage. I started my diet not too many weeks ago at a weight of 230. I have already lost 19 pounds, but that is ok, you all will need some advantage going forward.....Try to keep up with my weight loss if you possibly can (doubtful to say the least) :)

Sometime Someplace Somewhere Super Slim Spaceship Supersonic Speedster

:banana: Serotta Sandy :banana:

Volant
01-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Glad you're in, Sandy. Our goals are similar in total loss (from where you're at now). Congrats on the head start!!

Jawn P
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm in. Here's to eating disorders!

echappist
01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
was too lazy to do the calculations ;)

more like it's easier to calculate w/kg

DRZRM
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Christ, that makes me sick just looking at it up there for the world to see. Well I guess I'm in too boys and girls (?)

Don49
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
remember this?

guess what? it's a new year, and we're still fat. soooooo, i revived and reposted it.
it's a good way to stay conscious of your progress, keep concrete goals in front of you, and share our progress together.

Great idea. Thanks for reposting it.

I got a head start in October starting at 172lbs.

I think it's important to know your body fat % also, and use a target body fat percentage to calculate your target weight. Losing weight from dieting alone is likely to result in significant muscle loss and a net increase in percent body fat.

spiderman
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
weight loss is over-rated...
...who here actually has a bmi over 30 i wonder??

Nooch
01-11-2012, 03:32 PM

according to my tanita scale mine is through the roof at like 40 something, even though I'm down to 199 lbs from a high of 285...

echappist
01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
this fora doesn't have nearly as many racers as some of the others, but believe me when i say that a few kilos (in this case going from 153 to 146) will do wonders when the road pitches upwards

MattTuck
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Nicely done. I didn't have much success with it previously, so I think I'll take another approach this time.

54ny77
01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
i'm at the beach and can't reach my computer at the moment.

http://matilda-tuesday-s-my-fat-spouse-forum.2331443.n2.nabble.com/file/n5777840/Fat_Guy_Having_Trouble_At_The_Beach_1.jpg

fiamme red
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
this fora doesn't have nearly as many racers as some of the others, but believe me when i say that a few kilos (in this case going from 153 to 146) will do wonders when the road pitches upwards146 kilos? That's hyoooge. :)

benitosan1972
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Good luck to everybody, it's nice to have support thru a collective effort.

I couldn't help but notice a few 150#'s wanting to go into the 140#'s.
Now, I hope that you all are like around 5'6"-5'8" or I might construe
that you guys/gals have body disorders? I'd love to go under 140#'s
myself, and become a faster & stronger rider while doing so, but I love
to eat too much, and I don't want to buy all new smaller spandex kits!

echappist
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM
5'8.5" trying to get to 146

going into the 140's doesnt make me a grimpeur, but it will make me a better "classics" rider.

MattTuck
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Good luck to everybody, it's nice to have support thru a collective effort.

I couldn't help but notice a few 150#'s wanting to go into the 140#'s.
Now, I hope that you all are like around 5'6"-5'8" or I might construe
that you guys/gals have body disorders? I'd love to go under 140#'s
myself, and become a faster & stronger rider while doing so, but I love
to eat too much, and I don't want to buy all new smaller spandex kits!

If I were making a list of reasons NOT to lose weight, this would be number 3, number one if I wore assos.

vqdriver
01-24-2012, 12:37 PM
bump
just a reminder to update your weights.

bikerboy337
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM
after a few weeks off the bike/workout and the holiday eating... back at it again... good luck everyone... will be fun to keep track of... i always need goals to keep myself honest... i'm a coca cola addict... so giving it up is always tough for me... these types of things help... only water for me now that the holidays are over...

rice rocket
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Maybe add a percent change column since everyone's different sizes?

Elefantino
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Just signed up and I'm "AC" on the spreadsheet.

I hope I don't get banned by the CAS.

shortribs
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Brilliant thread.... I'd like to join in at 225lb for what I hope to be a realistic, 10lb drop. Entered into column "AD"

I'm a newbie here, but as you may've noticed I *love* food. And beer. And bikes...

-shortribs

bikerboy337
04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
a few of us are still plugging along... i'm feeling pretty good.. with a 7 month old, 3.5 year old, wife, MBA program and full time work, i've managed to get a ton of biking in this spring and have dropped 10 lbs and my BMI is 23.1 (not that that really matters, just a good guide)... i'd like to drop another 5 still before the June Harpoon B2B ride... its helped that the spring has been unusually warm... today is the first non biking day we've had in a while...

also...not that anyone has asked, but i'm moving towards being a vegetarian... i will never go all the way, but my wife and i are really concentrating on making meat a side dish, rather than a main dish... i've seen a big improvement in the way i feel... i've also given up dairy except for some small amounts of cheese or milk in cooking (ie. goat cheese on a salad, things like that)... i've also moved to oatmeal a few mornings a week and thats been a huge help I feel like, really fills me up, gives me tons of energy for afternoon/lunch rides and i'm eating less throughout the day... or it could just be the placebo effect, either way, its all working...

anyways, keep up the good work folks! it helps me having goals established and a good way to track them...

tlarwa
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
As for becoming a vegetarian, 2 words ... DO IT. I went over to the green side in January and havent looked back. I also gave up wheat. Never felt better, and have lost 21.5 pounds since the end of January. I can honestly say I dont miss meat at all. While I eat fish on occassion (usually when I'm traveling for work), I find myself sticking to an all-vegetarian diet 99% of the time.

Tom

a few of us are still plugging along... i'm feeling pretty good.. with a 7 month old, 3.5 year old, wife, MBA program and full time work, i've managed to get a ton of biking in this spring and have dropped 10 lbs... i'd like to drop another 5 still before the June Harpoon B2B ride... its helped that the spring has been unusually warm... today is the first non biking day we've had in a while...

also...not that anyone has asked, but i'm moving towards being a vegetarian... i will never go all the way, but my wife and i are really concentrating on making meat a side dish, rather than a main dish... i've seen a big improvement in the way i feel... i've also given up dairy except for some small amounts of cheese or milk in cooking (ie. goat cheese on a salad, things like that)... i've also moved to oatmeal a few mornings a week and thats been a huge help I feel like, really fills me up, gives me tons of energy for afternoon/lunch rides and i'm eating less throughout the day... or it could just be the placebo effect, either way, its all working...

anyways, keep up the good work folks! it helps me having goals established and a good way to track them...

54ny77
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
wow that's insane. 21lbs in 3 months from diet alone? are you basically pairing a lot of exercise with a de facto calorie deficit, i.e., getting a "filled up" sensation with a lot of vegetables but eating less calories overall than you're expending?

it's impressive no matter what. good for you.

As for becoming a vegetarian, 2 words ... DO IT. I went over to the green side in January and havent looked back. I also gave up wheat. Never felt better, and have lost 21.5 pounds since the end of January. I can honestly say I dont miss meat at all. While I eat fish on occassion (usually when I'm traveling for work), I find myself sticking to an all-vegetarian diet 99% of the time.

Tom

tlarwa
04-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Diet and exercise. I've got about 1000 miles on the road already, which for me, and being in Wisconsin, is a lot. I attribute most of the weight loss to giving up wheat, which really has meant that I've given up bread. No more bagels, subs, etc. But, since my favorite food is peanut butter and jelly toast (it really ought to be its own food group) I've learned to bake my own wheat-free bread. One loaf a week and I'm good to go. I don't think I really realized how many calories I was eating from the breads and pastas. And I thought I'd miss it more than I do. One thing I don't miss are the stomach distress issues (think IBS) which I attribute in large part to the wheat (read "Wheat Belly", by Dr. Davis).

wow that's insane. 21lbs in 3 months from diet alone? are you basically pairing a lot of exercise with a de facto calorie deficit, i.e., getting a "filled up" sensation with a lot of vegetables but eating less calories overall than you're expending?

it's impressive no matter what. good for you.

vqdriver
04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
sounds interesting. i may have to try that since i'm heading in the opposite direction.

MattTuck
04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Diet and exercise. I've got about 1000 miles on the road already, which for me, and being in Wisconsin, is a lot. I attribute most of the weight loss to giving up wheat, which really has meant that I've given up bread. No more bagels, subs, etc. But, since my favorite food is peanut butter and jelly toast (it really ought to be its own food group) I've learned to bake my own wheat-free bread. One loaf a week and I'm good to go. I don't think I really realized how many calories I was eating from the breads and pastas. And I thought I'd miss it more than I do. One thing I don't miss are the stomach distress issues (think IBS) which I attribute in large part to the wheat (read "Wheat Belly", by Dr. Davis).

Have you given up refined sugar also? I like ice cream and cookies too much, I'm having a hard time giving it up.

tlarwa
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Not completely (or obsessively), but I haven't had ice cream for 3 months. Cookies, Danish, donuts, scones, muffins, etc. (all of which I love) are gone with the wheat. My one sweet that I consume on a regular basis is dark chocolate chips. And you're supposed to eat dark chocolate (it actually has health benefits) so I don't feel guilty!

Have you given up refined sugar also? I like ice cream and cookies too much, I'm having a hard time giving it up.

Louis
04-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Given all the millions of people across the world who do this out of necessity and don't like it, I feel a bit weird thinking that I really need to motivate myself to do it, but how many of you guys out there go to bed hungry as part of your diet and weight loss effort?

I'm now starting to think that the "simplest" way to go (although not necessarily the easiest) is to eat less, and one way to gauge that is to stop eating before I feel full. Another is to not snack and spend more time between meals feeling hungry. That approach may not be sustainable for the long term, and doomed to failure, but with the start of the riding season and all the hills I have to deal with, I really need to loose a bit sooner rather than later.

tlarwa
04-23-2012, 08:17 PM
"they", whoever that is, say not to eat after 7:00. I typically have a snack (usually PBJ toast on my home-made wheat-free bread) in the evening. I don't see an issue with it, and it hasn't hindered my efforts, as long as I watch my calories throughout the day. My diet is typically:

Breakfast: oatmeal and coffee
Lunch: Greek yogurt, hard-boiled egg, carrots, piece of fruit
Snack: apple or banana
Dinner: something vegetarian (all kinds of options here)

If I ride after work, which I do most days, that more than allows me to eat something later in the evening. I figure I'm eating 2000-2300 calories and burning 600-1000 (at 40 cal/mile). Weekends are different, as I usually ride a lot longer. It all adds up to enough calorie deficit to lose weight! Plus, I'm eating a lot healthier which makes me feel better.

I still suck as a climber, though:mad:

54ny77
04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
yep that's about it, unless you've got some oddball medical condition that affects ability to process certain foods, have a screwed up metabolism, etc.

diet fads always crack me up. videos this, prepared foods that. it ain't rocket science: eat less, exercise more. run enough deficit to lose about a pound a week +/-. ask any nutritionist or doctor and they'll tell you that's a healthy trend, doesn't shock the body.

for a variety of reasons, i'm on a mission to lose around 30. am 1/3 the way there, and it's a mudderfugger all the way. but, it's a commitment. whatever it takes.

It all adds up to enough calorie deficit to lose weight!

Louis
04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
If I were in total control of the food readily available to me (ie, did have to come in to work, where there are vending machines and people who bring in cupcakes, doughnuts, candy, etc, etc) controlling the "junk" calories would be much easier. I have no problem resisting them when I'm in the store buying groceries, and all the stuff I have at home is pretty good. It's the stuff available at work that kills me.

vqdriver
04-23-2012, 09:15 PM
How about the "half diet?". Eat whatever you normally eat. But just half of it.

Louis
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
How about the "half diet?". Eat whatever you normally eat. But just half of it.

But is it worth having 5% body fat, if in order to get it you're walking around half-starving?

54ny77
04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I would say no, not unless you're regional or nat'l caliber and winning or placing in everything you race in, and are at least a cat 3 (or equivalent masters).

Otherwise, enjoy life, ride fast & for fun to the best extent possible. Life is too short to obsess over whether or not to have that extra slice of fresh warm baguette in herb-infused olive oil.

But is it worth having 5% body fat, if in order to get it you're walking around half-starving?

oliver1850
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Quoting my high school coach/history teacher: "Want to lose 15 lbs. of ugly fat?......Cut off your head".

Tom, please post your wheat free bread recipe. I'd guess bread is the worst of my dietary sins, as I eat very little sugar or red meat, but every meal includes bread of some sort.

tlarwa
04-23-2012, 09:32 PM

At 6'1, 170 I'm far from 5% body fat (15% per the Tanita scale, in fact). But for me, I feel so much better 21 pounds lighter that it certainly is more than worth it. Did it improve my riding? Probably. But that's not the main reason I have made the effort. To each his own, certainly. I'll never lie and say I wouldn't love a Panera Cinnamon Chip bagel with honey walnut cream cheese! It's just a choice. By the way, it's surprising how NOT starving I am. Again, I attribute it to the wheat elimination and much more stable blood sugar levels.

Tom

tlarwa
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Tom, please post your wheat free bread recipe. I'd guess bread is the worst of my dietary sins, as I eat very little sugar or red meat, but every meal includes bread of some sort.

Here's the one I started with:

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/finally-really-good-sandwich-bread/

It's good, but a pain in the ass. I've since discovered a bread mix made by Pamela's Products (http://www.pamelasproducts.com/product/Pamelas_GlutenFree_Bread_Mix/13197.aspx). Much simpler. The recipe is on the package. I buy it at Whole Foods, but you can buy it on-line as well. By the way, I don't have a bread maker. You just need a little time and a 5"x9" bread pan. Low tech.

Happy baking!

Tom

MattTuck
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
If I were in total control of the food readily available to me (ie, did have to come in to work, where there are vending machines and people who bring in cupcakes, doughnuts, candy, etc, etc) controlling the "junk" calories would be much easier. I have no problem resisting them when I'm in the store buying groceries, and all the stuff I have at home is pretty good. It's the stuff available at work that kills me.

Louis, there's a chemical called ghrelin (not sure of spelling) that is released when you are hungry that causes you to be able to focus and gives you that sort of "good hungry" feeling.

The evolutionary argument is that when our ancestors were hungry, it was an advantage for those who could think more clearly to make hunting/gathering more effective.

That said, I think eliminating sugar (except that in the form of a fruit), and possibly wheat is probably more effective than just counting calories.

It is a long commitment though, hard to get your motivation up for it... so take it in small batches, 1 week of good eating, 5 pounds as a goal...

I am down 5 pounds from my all time high, still have about 40 to go, to get down to 180, which would be the lightest I've been in my adult life. The last time I was close was 4 years ago, at 184. Then I had a botched surgery, and two follow up surgeries, and it was all down hill from there.

Just trying to take it one day at a time, and make good choices.