PDA

View Full Version : OT: Got to love Volvo (aka: Tanks)

William
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Say what you will about their looks, but they are built like tanks and can take a hit. Someone hit Mrs. William's Volvo in the parking lot at her work. Luckily she wasn't in the car at the time. Take a gander at the damage....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Volvo%20S70/IMG00003-20120110-0854.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Volvo%20S70/IMG00004-20120110-0855.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Volvo%20S70/IMG00005-20120110-0857.jpg

Sucks, but doesn't look as bad as I thought it would when I realized how far the other woman's car had moved the Volvo out of it's parked position from the hit....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Volvo%20S70/IMG00006-20120110-0912.jpg

Honestly I was expecting a lot more damage. The front end on the other woman's Japanese import was trashed and barely drivable. Luckily the woman was insured and it will get taken care of.

William

Louis
01-10-2012, 09:25 PM
What happened? Texting / talking on the cell phone while driving?

William
01-10-2012, 09:29 PM
What happened? Texting / talking on the cell phone while driving?

Supposedly driving too fast into a wet, slick parking lot. There were witnesses but all from a distance.

William

Ken Robb
01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
front ends are designed to crush more because they have more space to do so relative to the sides of cars so I wouldn't read too much into the difference in damage of one car's front to another's side where impact rails live in the doors.

soulspinner
01-11-2012, 04:14 AM
I work for Volvo. They are beasts. A couple from Europe rolled theirs down an embankment, were unhurt and came in and bought another with the insurance $. Glad no injuries to your family. Ride on big fella......... :beer:

cid499
01-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Nice S70. I'm from a Volvo family myself... we've had a 240 DL, 740 turbo, 960, S70 glt and a V50 so far. The first three were especially tank-like.
The list will go on I'm sure.

EmoryDPTT
01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
That looks pretty crazy. Hard to understand how that happened becaused she was parked btwn cars, not at the end. I guess it depends if there were actually cars parked around her when the crash happened.
Glad to hear everybody's safe.

William
01-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Looks strange but....Mrs William went in early to use the gym in her office and there were only a couple cars in the parking lot (and none near her). The woman came in, hit her car, then limped it to the other side of the lot that isn't in the picture. The cars next to her came in after the fact.

Yes, certainly glad she was not in it though I'm sure she would have been fine if she were.

William

AngryScientist
01-11-2012, 06:01 AM
wow.

did the police issue some ticket to this other driver?? i mean, c'mon - how recklessly would you have to be driving in a parking lot to move a heavy sedan that far??

yes, the volvo took the hit well, good thing it wasnt someone's kid, or a dog or just a person. the other driver clearly had no where near the required amount of control.

i'd also suspect that the offender's car had badly worn tires, trashed suspension, faulty brakes or something, in addition to her terrible driving.

the only comical part is the walk of shame she probably had to do when her office mates found out.

jh_on_the_cape
01-11-2012, 06:09 AM
We have a 1994 Volvo 850 wagon. Sure drives like a tank.
We would replace it but we cannot find a comparable new vehicle.
Big stickshift wagon.

victoryfactory
01-11-2012, 06:17 AM
I loved my 1998 Cross Country It was a great car to drive...
uh cross country.

Who sez Chinese companies can't make good products?

VF

Birddog
01-11-2012, 06:41 AM
did the police issue some ticket to this other driver?
Police in most jurisdictions don't investigate non injury accidents on private property.

AngryScientist
01-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Police in most jurisdictions don't investigate non injury accidents on private property.

i didnt think of the private property - good point.

William
01-11-2012, 06:56 AM
No police involved. The "walk of shame" was a long one for the woman. :D

William

tv_vt
01-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Does Volvo make any model that you can get with a 5 speed manual transmission? I don't think they do, which has been a deal killer for me. Like the 5 speed on my Jetta wagon...

William
01-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Does Volvo make any model that you can get with a 5 speed manual transmission? I don't think they do, which has been a deal killer for me. Like the 5 speed on my Jetta wagon...

A lot of Volvo models had optional 5 speeds. As of 2010.....

Volvo S40 2.4i Sedan, 5-speed manual

Volvo S40 T5 AWD Sedan, 6-speed manual

Volvo v50 T5 AWD R design, 6-speed manual

Volvo C30 T5, 6-speed manual,

Volvo C30 R, 6-speed manual,

William

AngryScientist
01-11-2012, 07:50 AM
edit : William beat me to it.

most of the euro manufacturers are pretty good about keeping stick shift an option on a few models for the real enthusiasts.

Steve in SLO
01-11-2012, 08:01 AM
We have a 5 speed manual 2001 V70 T5 wagon with about 120K miles on the clock. No major issues yet. We love the thing on road trips. Few wagons will get up and go like it does. It will cruise 80-85 mph all day long.

David Kirk
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I''ve owned a number of Volvos over the years -

1973 1800 ES
a second 73' 1800 ES
1971 164E
1985 240 Turbo wagon

They were all great cars and I feel that the first one I owned, a 1973 1800ES, saved my life. I was driving along and came to an intersection where there was a car headed the opposite direction waiting to make a left turn across my path. Right as I started into the intersection she floored it and pulled in front of me with no warning and no reason. I'll never know why she didn't wait 5 seconds until I'd passed through but she made the left in front of me and I only had time to lift off the gas before I hit her.

She was driving a Jetta and I T-boned her car on the passenger side and pushed the B-pillar nearly into the center of the car and I stopped dead right there. Her car spun away from me and hit a telephone pole and cracked it. I was doing about 45 mph and came to a stop in about 15 feet.

The 1800 was totaled........but it was still running even though the front end of the body was folded around the engine. There were ripples in the middle of the roof where the car absorbed the energy and yet the doors still opened. I suffered nothing more than a seat belt burn.

The driver of the other car was drunk - middle of the day - she had lunch with girl friends and had way too many. She wasn't hurt seriously (broken arm I think) but was charged with DWI.

I had to let that 1800 go and a few years later when I could afford it I bought a second 1800 ES. Great car. If we had a dealer within a 3 hour drive I'd consider another when my VW Passat finally dies.

Thanks Volvo.

dave

dave

Joachim
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
We are thinking of getting a new car since the family is expanding. On the top of my list... a Volvo wagon.

Ken Robb
01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure but Volvo may now only offer SUVs in the USA.

Gummee
01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I was shopping for a car recently. Only thing I saw that was available with a manual was the little hatch. The rest were only available in autos.

Grrrr

M

jh_on_the_cape
01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
If we had a dealer within a 3 hour drive I'd consider another when my VW Passat finally dies.

Thanks Volvo.

dave

dave

we have a 2003 passat wagon and the 94 850 wagon.
There are few new cars that we even want. We don't want a minivan or suv. The Jetta wagon looks small. No more v70 to the states. Maybe an a6 wagon but that's $$$$.

I am in Europe at the moment and see new Camry wagons. Why can't they sell those in the USA?

AngryScientist
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
we have a 2003 passat wagon and the 94 850 wagon.
There are few new cars that we even want. We don't want a minivan or suv. The Jetta wagon looks small. No more v70 to the states. Maybe an a6 wagon but that's $$$$.

I am in Europe at the moment and see new Camry wagons. Why can't they sell those in the USA?

the interior space of the newer Jettas might surprise you. my wife drives a jetta sedan, and it is, from my perspective, very roomy inside. we bought the most basic model, well under $20k new, good fuel efficiency, stick shift - and have been very pleased with it so far.

wooly
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
By the way the car was moved, I'm glad your wife wasn't in the car William. I've had a storied past with Volvos. I had a 1969 mustard yellow station wagon as my first car. Totaled it after only 6 months rear ending someone - I was the classic case for why teenage boys shouldn't be driving with friends in the car at 16.

My son, who's now 21, got a 2000 volvo station wagon and ended up rear ending someone after a year. Must be genetic! Luckily no one was hurt. But the volvo's both did their job in letting us walk away from the crashes. My next two sons, 8 and 11, will be driving one as well, albeit a little later and with more training!

Tom
01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure but Volvo may now only offer SUVs in the USA.

No.

Anyway, get the manual. I have the five-speed auto in the C30 and it plays to my laziness and there's a distinct acceleration lag in automatic mode... I need to replace the Volvo tune with one that doesn't like to stay around 1500 rpm. There is a manual mode where you can maintain a decent amount of jump but it doesn't shift as fast as a manual gearbox would (read imperceptibly) every single time plus if they're going to do that, why didn't they put flappy paddles on the steerer and make it so I don't have to reach down to a stick on the console?

It is a fun car, though. It's not a GTI in that the turbo doesn't come on like the lady with the metal bra in Wagner but it is a great GT road trip car. It eats up the road like biscuits, you have to watch it because if you don't pay attention you're going nearly 100 without realizing. It's also fun on the torn up secondary roads in Vermont, it's as happy there as tearing down the interstate.

Kevan
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
My kids were nowhere near RI!

Oh, sorry...I'm just a little sensitive about this subject.

pavel
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
My 94 black 850 turbo was my favorite car.

AgilisMerlin
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
that hit looks a little odd

i enjoy the thickness of mine, v70. heavy. swedish pickup

my 850 had more room to work on, in the engine compartment.

the newer loves to eat 02 censors

palincss
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
We are thinking of getting a new car since the family is expanding. On the top of my list... a Volvo wagon.

Too bad Volvo has stopped selling wagons in the US.

palincss
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM
We don't want a minivan or suv. The Jetta wagon looks small. No more v70 to the states. Maybe an a6 wagon but that's $$$$.

The 2012 A6 wagon isn't coming to the states either.

struggle
01-11-2012, 05:36 PM
What is kind of funny is someone probably thought man she must think she is special taking up two spaces if they never saw the other side of the car :bike:

$4k ought to cover it

pbbob
01-11-2012, 06:40 PM
c-30 6 speed manual here. Great gt car. bike and gear fit in the back.
and I get great gas mileage because I drive the same way I ride my bike uphill...
really slow.

and my 96 850 glt just keeps going and going and going!

William
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
What is kind of funny is someone probably thought man she must think she is special taking up two spaces if they never saw the other side of the car :bike:

$4k ought to cover it

Pretty much nailed it on both accounts. :cool:

William

bismo37
01-12-2012, 12:57 AM
My family has lots of Volvo owners. Love my Volvo. I bought the C30 the first month they became available in the US. It is 6 spd manual, 5cyl, turbocharged. Fun to drive. In Portland we have iPd, a Volvo performance tuning company, and they were more than helpful in "enhancing" a few features!

Louis
01-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Love my Volvo. I bought the C30 the first month they became available in the US.

I've considered getting a C30 to replace my Integra, but one of the things holding me back is the size of the hatch opening. I see that you have a roof rack - have you ever tried to put the bike in back? If so, how did that go?

TIA

bismo37
01-12-2012, 03:00 AM
I've considered getting a C30 to replace my Integra, but one of the things holding me back is the size of the hatch opening. I see that you have a roof rack - have you ever tried to put the bike in back? If so, how did that go?

TIA

I usually ride 56-57 cm bikes. With the rear seats down, I can slip a bike in there with the front wheel off. It lays on its side, not upright.

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it easy to do? Not really. I do have to finagle the saddle and crankset past the awkward hatch opening. If I pulled out the saddle/seat post, it'd be easier.

My wife's 51cm fits in much more easily.

For comparison, she drives a 2011 Subaru Impreza hatch. I envy how easy it is to throw a bike in the rear. But I love everything else about my car more than the Subie.

jh_on_the_cape
01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
The 2012 A6 wagon isn't coming to the states either.
No way! I missed the memo!

So if you want a large nice station wagon what are the options???
Besides used.

Ken Robb
01-12-2012, 03:35 AM
does Dodge still offer a wagon version of the Charger?

572cv
01-12-2012, 06:42 AM
late to the thread, but glad Mrs William had nothing more than an unhappy surprise.... and glad that Volvo protected Mr Kirk! Also glad to hear that the obvious extra beef on the frame and gvw really works.

My ride is a 2006 S40 T5 AWD with a 6 speed manual. It's my first Volvo. The market for manuals is slim, even here in VT, apparently, though I too am not interested in auto. I found the car at a dealer, where it had been waiting 7 months for an owner, low miles,etc. Met my qualifications: smallish, sporty, well assembled, decent mileage, awd, manual. These are fun to drive.

While I do have a rack on the car, it turns out that with both wheels off, I can slip a bike into the trunk and still have the back seats fully upright. My frames are about 56. A 58 might go as well, but not much more than that since the trunk lid opening is small. If the rear seats are down, one could leave a wheel on easy, or perhaps both, for that matter, but it would be awkward to get it in without someone helping from one of of the rear doors.

palincss
01-12-2012, 06:59 AM
No way! I missed the memo!

So if you want a large nice station wagon what are the options???
Besides used.

Rather few, I'm afraid. There is the Acura TSX wagon, and although I've not yet tried it I am hopeful it's large enough to fit my 60cm bike with fenders and both wheels on. And of course, there are the Mercedes E-class wagon and the Cadillac CTS.

The VW Jetta wagon and the Audi A-4 look to me to be about the same size inside as the 3-series BMW, which is not long enough inside to fit one of my bikes without turning its front wheel 90 degrees, which puts a lot of pressure on the fender.

pjm
01-12-2012, 08:13 AM
does Dodge still offer a wagon version of the Charger?
Nope, I think that was axed. But good news, the return of the Dart! And its based on an Alfa Romeo! :hello:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111206/VIDEONEWS/111209925
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120108/DETROIT/120109891/2174/detroit

pbbob
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM

TIA the rear hatch access is only a very minor first world problem
15 seconds to take off the front wheel, pick the bike up and slide it in the back.
when I had a van I didn't have to take the front off and it took maybe 10 seconds.

Louis
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
the rear hatch access is only a very minor first world problem

Perhaps, and since the C30 and the Scion TC are just about the only two door hatches out there, I'll probably test drive one. However, the hatch ain't the biggest, and if the point of buying the hatchback is to use the room, having a small opening defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

In a related matter, I'd consider an Accord, if only the d@mn trunk opening weren't so small. Even the slanted tail lights on the side steal some of the room.

tylerbick
01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm currently driving a 5 spd 1988 Volvo 240 GL Wagon, and I'm rapidly approaching the 250,000 MI mark. It is a GREAT bike car. Couldn't be happier. It gets better than average gas mileage, is easy to work on, and it's a great conversation piece. My previous ride was a 2002 Audi A6 Wagon (3.0), and I dumped it after the extended warranty was up. The repairs that I had done on the Audi would have cost me more than the entire Volvo if I hadn't had the warranty. I sure miss the way the Audi drove and handled, but I don't miss wondering what bike I'd have to sell if it broke!

Charles M
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
My wife and daughter were T boned in an S60 by a guy in an expedition going 40... Totalled both.

Not a scratch on the wife or daughter.

Volvo and Britax...

AngryScientist
01-13-2012, 06:33 AM
5 spd 1988 Volvo 240 GL Wagon

that's a great car, hang onto it as long as you can.

William
01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
5 spd 1988 Volvo 240 GL Wagon

Sweet cars.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/10_turbos_8_470_1208-21743674.jpg

I had the sedan version with almost the same wheels as above (spokes were blacked out). Loved that car.

Not that I condone the driving habits of this individual but check out this sick 500hp Volvo 740....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CzjkpjrPfQ

William

Spinner
01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
My 2001 V70 T 2.4 is my third Volvo, following 1976 and 1986 240s. My current ride has 140,000 miles and averages 27.5 mpg on the highway.

With the rear seats down, I can transport my 59x58 Serotta without removing the wheels.

My first Volvo had some electrical quirks that took some effort to solve, however it was an otherwise a great car that I traded for the '86. The second 240 ran strong and I only ever invested in standard maintenance repairs, but alas the salty streets of Cleveland ate the body. The body of my V70 is in great shape as are the mechanicals. My goal is to drive this automobile to infinity and beyond.

The V70 is one of the best "road" cars that I have driven. As a point of reference, through my work I've had countless weekly car rentals and have pondered auto performance and comfort a good bit. The V70 just loves to run on the highway in a quiet and controlled manner.

Cheers.

zap
01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Our old Volvo 850 turbo wagon was well built body wise and I had little doubt it could do better than most cars in a crash.

soulspinner
01-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Had a guy with 396000 miles(notkm) on his wagon with all wheel drive in the shop. The drive shaft needed replacing so he un hooked the thing and put snows on it for the winter. Head was never off the motor. He was pissed cause its starting to bun oil. :rolleyes:

tylerbick
01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Had a guy with 396000 miles(notkm) on his wagon with all wheel drive in the shop. The drive shaft needed replacing so he un hooked the thing and put snows on it for the winter. Head was never off the motor. He was pissed cause its starting to bun oil. :rolleyes:

I aspire to keep mine till I reach that high of a odo. reading!! (and I really wish there was enough time to ride my bike that much!