PDA

View Full Version : Bebop for MTB?

crownjewelwl
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Wanted to get opinions on Bebop pedals for MTB. Found some dated stuff but mostly regarding road use.

I have XTRs now but they tend to get gummed up pretty good on my local trail (probably cuz I spend a lot of time hoofing) cuz I suk.

The design of the Bebops seem like they would shed mud better. The cleats I'm not so sure about...

What say you??

AngryScientist
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
i think you should take a good hard look at eggbeaters, almost impossible to gum up...

http://images.jensonusa.com/large/pe/pe299a01.jpg

crownjewelwl
01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
i think you should take a good hard look at eggbeaters, almost impossible to gum up...

was considering that route, but my shop guys telling me to stay away...

AngryScientist
01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
was considering that route, but my shop guys telling me to stay away...

i wonder why? the cheap CB pedals arent very good, but the upper level stainless and Ti pedals have been very good to me on the cross bike, and commuter. i believe these are what Mr Brunk rides for mtb too, and he's got quite a bit of experience under his belt.

the bebops are marketed as more of a road pedal that can handle mud i think, not a pure mtb pedal, which is what it sounds like you need. i dont think you can go wrong personally with an upper lever set of eggbeaters.

crownjewelwl
01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
i wonder why? the cheap CB pedals arent very good, but the upper level stainless and Ti pedals have been very good to me on the cross bike, and commuter. i believe these are what Mr Brunk rides for mtb too, and he's got quite a bit of experience under his belt.

the bebops are marketed as more of a road pedal that can handle mud i think, not a pure mtb pedal, which is what it sounds like you need. i dont think you can go wrong personally with an upper lever set of eggbeaters.

something about reliability...who knows

the ti versions seem a little pricey for an experiment...the 3s are the stainless ones you're referring to??

AngryScientist
01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
something about reliability...who knows

the ti versions seem a little pricey for an experiment...the 3s are the stainless ones you're referring to??

yes, and here they are at an excellent price, $75...

http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222362682___88

AngryScientist
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
i should add that i'm not a mountain biker, i wouldnt buy on my recommendation alone, but i do know plenty of others are happy with eggbeaters, hopefully someone with mtb experience will chime in.

William
01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I've been running EB's on my cross bike for a while now. Other then changing the bearings with the kit every couple of years no issues.

William

christian
01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Only problem I know of with egg beaters is that they release the shoe if you bang the bottom of the pedal on an obstacle. I suck, so bang pedals often. Not ideal for newbies.

crownjewelwl
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Only problem I know of with egg beaters is that they release the shoe if you bang the bottom of the pedal on an obstacle. I suck, so bang pedals often. Not ideal for newbies.

no good for me then...

gdw
01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I never tried the BeeBops but used Crank Bros and liked them until they broke. A few hard pedal strikes and they're history.

cp43
01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I haven't used them, but a riding buddy of mine tried Bebops on the trail at one point, and has switched to SPDs since. The problem he had was that the Bebops weren't designed to deal with being smashed against rocks, so they got deformed enough to cause problems.

I've been running SPDs on my MTB for 4 years or so, with no problems.

Another guy I ride with recently switched from egg beaters (bearing issues) to Times. So far he's happy with the Times.

Hope that helps.

Chris

JeremyS
01-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I rode Bebops for a couple years in the 1990s as MTB pedals. They worked just fine, but the cleats wear quickly from hike-a-bike sections.

Everyone I know who has ridden CB pedals has broken them.

My recommendation: Time Atac XS. I still have my 1996 and 1997 ATAC carbons in use, and XS on another bike. Bombproof, plenty of float.

William
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Funny. How is it all you little folks are breaking EB's? :confused: ;) I'm 255 - 260 and I'm not gentle on them yet they hold up fine? I guess I got the only good ones. :banana:

William

Ken Robb
01-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Funny. How is it all you little folks are breaking EB's? :confused: ;) I'm 255 - 260 and I'm not gentle on them yet they hold up fine? I guess I got the only good ones. :banana:

William
I'm only 200lbs. but I got the other 3 pairs of good ones. One catch: EB cleats are brass instead of steel. The idea is that they are "sacrificial" and wear quicker than the usual steel cleats thus saving the pedals themselves. Obviously they should be changed more often than steel cleats but quite a few riders forget that. The in/out performance deteriorates with wear and folks forget how well they EB pedals worked with good cleats.

jr59
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM

William

Not so fast there light weight!

I ride them as well and have never broken a set yet. Wear the bearings out, sure, but never broken a set.

And I do weigh a bit more than my skinny friend William! :p

Jack Brunk
01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I ride the hell out of my ti beaters and they have been problem free. Like the big fella a change of bearings is useful to prolong their life.

the bottle ride
01-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Beebops- I had a set for a short bit the year they came out. I would not spend the money again- and I got the interbike special price....

a few reasons:
Cleat sticks out.
May have to cut your show to fit cleat.
Cleat gums up as much as set of speedplay magnums (if you know what those are, you will get what I mean).
Not a good pedal platform for those MTB moments when you are not clipped in- slippery

They were fine as a road pedal that made lots of noise when you walked...but not a real MTB pedal.

egg beaters- they are ok. I used them for awhile because they were light (I liked light more than dependable or working- now I like those other things more.), but the retention mechanism is not as good as shimano. The bearings can go quick...

XT/XTR FTW- they are the standard.

Those are my 2 cents.

rice rocket
01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I think Pez runs Bebops on his Parlee? He might have some input.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/sramblackbop.jpg