PDA

View Full Version : Compass 26" tires

fiamme red
01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Compass 26" x 1.75" tires for my MTB. Anyone here have any experience with them? Are they durable? Do the sidewalls hold up to rocky trails? They are pretty light, at 440 g.

Ken Robb
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I have no experience with them but for rocky trails I would want 2" or fatter tires so I could ride at about 35psi for traction without risking too many flats. My rocky trails usually also have deep gravel and sand so the fatter tires float through rather than dig in and steer with a mind of their own as skinny tires are wont to do.

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Yep
I went with lightweight 2.0 and recently swapped them out. Traction first.

fiamme red
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I have no experience with them but for rocky trails I would want 2" or fatter tires so I could ride at about 35psi for traction without risking too many flats. My rocky trails usually also have deep gravel and sand so the fatter tires float through rather than dig in and steer with a mind of their own as skinny tires are wont to do.So you would only use 1.75" tires for smooth trails and fire roads?

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
mtb tires are really dependent on your local terrain and intended use. i don't know what the tread is like, but 1.75 is pretty narrow. even on fireroads, it won't track very well if it's rutted or if it's loose over hardpack. on rocky terrain it'll just get knocked around.

fiamme red
01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. You can see that I'm an MTB newbie. :)

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 03:29 PM
no problem.
i went thru something similar the past couple years as i got back into mtbing. lots have changed, especially with regards to tread theory and tire sizing.

best bet is to check out the wheels and tire forum on mtbr and search for your particular terrain type. otherwise, mtbr has local forums for your area where people post a lot of their favorite treads. your lbs will have a good idea of what works as well.

singlecross
01-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I have the Compass 26 x 1.75 tires with about 1000 miles ridden on them. Mostly on gravel forest service roads and cracked, potholed New England backroad pavement. I've been very happy with them... they are holding up well and ride very smoothly. Like Buttah...I'll buy them again and again.

singlecross

Ken Robb
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
So you would only use 1.75" tires for smooth trails and fire roads?
I don't think I would use them at all. For any kind of off-road riding on a mtn. bike I would want 2+" tires and if was riding it on paved roads 1.25-1.5" would be better. A 1.75 would be fine on hardback but in my area that always leads us into gravel and sand before the ride is over.

Having said all the above I must say that I do ride my road and all-rounder bikes off-road on 700x25-37mm tires but they wouldn't be my choice for "rocky trails".