PDA

View Full Version : ot Roll Tide!

bikerboy337
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm a boston college grad myself, but my oldest brother went to bama, lives in tuscaloosa and my niece is going there next year....

that being said

Roll Tide!

ahumblecycler
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh yes, another example of BCS magic :rolleyes:

FlashUNC
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
I want Bama to win in a close game just for the chaos this will create for the system.

Something needs to spur a proper playoff.

wc1934
01-09-2012, 07:58 PM
If Bama wins, who are the Champs, as Oklahoma State will get some votes - their OT win in the fiesta bowl was impressive and they had the second-best passing offense in the nation - the loss to Iowa (think that too was OT) kept them from being undefeated.

Ken Robb
01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I never understood the significance of the elephant mascot.

ahumblecycler
01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
@FlashUNC - what confusion? The team is rated #2 so if it beats #1 than it is #1 one ... right? :confused:

OSU's loss to Iowa State who ranked last in the Big 12 (or whatever the conference is called now) set the team up for a non-invite.

@Ken - the elephant is a throw back to the Persians ;)

majorpat
01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Wow, two SEC teams playing in Louisiana......boring!

Climb01742
01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
didn't the season end with the rose bowl? signed, a duck's fan. ;)

FlashUNC
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
@FlashUNC - what confusion? The team is rated #2 so if it beats #1 than it is #1 one ... right? :confused:

OSU's loss to Iowa State who ranked last in the Big 12 (or whatever the conference is called now) set the team up for a non-invite.

@Ken - the elephant is a throw back to the Persians ;)

AP poll isn't beholden to voting the BCS Nat'l Title game winner as their national champ. AP voters have said if Alabama wins, but the game is close, they might still name LSU the national champ. So we could still have a split national champ, despite this system designed not to.

And as ESPN mentioned, Alabama would be the first national champion that didn't win their conference since 1936...

OSU beat five teams in the BCS Top 25. Alabama beat two. OSU lost in double overtime on the road -- admittedly to a much inferior opponent than Alabama's only loss -- but won their conference, destroying their rival to do so in an incredibly lop-sided loss. Alabama lost at home, in overtime.

Big 12 champ vs. SEC champ makes way more sense for the national title than another SEC West game, imo.

bikerboy337
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
This is about as boring a game as the last one... unless you like defense... really thinking bama is going to be able to turn it on at some point, they've dominated so far, just cant get in the end zone...

Roll Tide!

vqdriver
01-09-2012, 08:52 PM
well we can rehash all the bcs arguments, but basically OSU (and maaaaaybe Stanford) were the only ones with an outside chance at a split championship. but of course, they played it close and no blowout means no split. winner tonight is the champ.

Louis
01-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure I'd consider 3 FG's "rolling" but at least they are scoring. Can't say that about the other guys...

rice rocket
01-09-2012, 09:29 PM
So who is "honey badger"?

vqdriver
01-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Ooooh. That looks painful.

Honey badger is Tyron matthieu
LSU #7

Louis
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
LSU got only 5 first downs the entire game? And they were ranked #1 in the country going in?

What a joke.

firerescuefin
01-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Hard for a Gator to say, but....Roll Tide.

Les Miles and Staff didn't belong on the same field as Saban...don't know how you leave Jefferson in the game that long.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=rTdXQyhjifY

rice rocket
01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
LSU got only 5 first downs the entire game? And they were ranked #1 in the country going in?

What a joke.
Jefferson got phased.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/19/128952007898306606.jpg

rugbysecondrow
01-10-2012, 06:06 AM
I watched the first half before I called it a night. Is it just me or is it hard to get into college football the second week in January? Hell, the last game Alabama played was Nov 26, that is 1.5 months ago. The lag between the regular season and the championship game loses me.

Anyway, a great defensive first half.

SamIAm
01-10-2012, 07:04 AM
I guess I don't get LSU. I have watched 3 games this year, the first one against Alabama, then against Georgia, then the one last night. Their offense has been anemic in each one. As good as Alabama's defense is, I would have to imagine that any number of top tier teams could have at least scored.

Not sure LSU should have been #1

Elefantino
01-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Congratulations to the Tide for winning the SEC title on the second try.

djg
01-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I watched the first half before I called it a night. Is it just me or is it hard to get into college football the second week in January? Hell, the last game Alabama played was Nov 26, that is 1.5 months ago. The lag between the regular season and the championship game loses me.

Anyway, a great defensive first half.

I'm feeling out of sorts this morning so I'll be the killjoy. It's not just you, but obviously plenty of folks are glad to watch. I've had it with big time college football. Any university worth its academic salt ought to be ashamed to be competitive in this arena.

Louis
01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Any university worth its academic salt ought to be ashamed to be competitive in this arena.

I've always wondered what majors they find for the Stanford football players. Do their diplomas come with an asterisk?

crownjewelwl
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I've always wondered what majors they find for the Stanford football players. Do their diplomas come with an asterisk?

Communications. Or at least that was popular when I was there.

Luck got his degree in architectural design.

For the record, there are some friggin smart kids who play ball (and other sports at Stanford)

BEAT CAL!

jr59
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I live in New Orleans and follow the local teams here.

Bama rolled the tigers up last night and was clearly the better team.

It happens.

Oh well, I still have the Saints! :banana:

And Mardi Gras has started, so LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

bikerboy337
01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
The whole BCS thing is a mess.... I do believe the two best teams played last night, but for OK State to not have a shot, or Stanford, it stinks... a playoff would get amazing ratings...

I also agree that the game was pretty boring if you were't a bama fan or LSU fan... people like college football because of offense, not defense. Those defenses last night though were amazing... for alabama to hold LSU to under 100 yards is baffling...

Anywyas, another good year. My BC eagles were horrible, Notre Dame choked as usual (my other brother went there, so thats especially good) and Bama won it all...

Now to watch my Pats beat up on Tebow this weekend!

bikerboy337
01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
My brother was there for the game last night and he just told me the LSU busses are stuck on Interstate-10. Apparently someone painted a 50-yard line across the road...

:beer:

Rada
01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
And as ESPN mentioned, Alabama would be the first national champion that didn't win their conference since 1936...

Hell, they didn't even win their division. BCS is a broken joke.

dd74
01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
LSU, 'Bama, Oklahoma - who cares. USC Trojans will be the ones to watch, baby.

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
My brother was there for the game last night and he just told me the LSU busses are stuck on Interstate-10. Apparently someone painted a 50-yard line across the road...

:beer:

aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha POTD :hello:

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
LSU, 'Bama, Oklahoma - who cares. USC Trojans will be the ones to watch, baby.

next season, yes. i'm not a big kiffin fan, but he's done well so far. let's see how he handles the lost scholarships.

as for the BCS, everyone knows it's nutty system. we can just hope the NCAA grows a pair and takes over in 2013.....

Seramount
01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
two SEC teams playing on January 9th...

that was the perfect recipe for me to not tune in.

who won? oh, nevermind...I don't care.

djg
01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
For the record, there are some friggin smart kids who play ball (and other sports at Stanford)

I don't think anybody doubts that. Stanford and elsewhere. There are some very bright athletes playing "major" sports at leading D 1 programs and some of them are serious students. That's not really the point. What's the population of people? What does the school do to recruit and retain them? What resources are allocated and how? Who is responsible for what? For whom? To whom?

Make what you want of George Will's politics, and yeah, this is rhetoric above all, but there's something pointed, funny, and sad in this: "A few millennia from now, when archaeologists from an ascendant Brazil or Turkey or wherever sift the shards of American civilization and find the ruins of the Big House in Ann Arbor, Mich., they will wonder why a 109,901-seat entertainment venue was attached to an institution of higher education."

Louis
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
they will wonder why a 109,901-seat entertainment venue was attached to an institution of higher education

I think it's the other way around - the institution of higher learning is an appendage of the stadium / Football & Basketball departments.

Louis
01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
In a related matter, the NYT had a recent article about how the Ivies are improving somewhat relative to the true D-1 schools athletically, in part because they are offering such lucrative financial aid packages.

IMO the best current example is that Harvard is ranked in the top 25 in men's B-ball. Unbelievable. I imagine that they'll soon drop down to where they really belong, but right now it just doesn't make sense.

Elefantino
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
To get into Alabama you have to be perfect on the SAT.

They give you the "S" and the "A."

If you guess "ACT" by mistake, it's accepted.

Roll Tide. :D

djg
01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
In a related matter, the NYT had a recent article about how the Ivies are improving somewhat relative to the true D-1 schools athletically, in part because they are offering such lucrative financial aid packages.

IMO the best current example is that Harvard is ranked in the top 25 in men's B-ball. Unbelievable. I imagine that they'll soon drop down to where they really belong, but right now it just doesn't make sense.

Hard to see them in the final four, but consider two things: First, it's hoops, not football. Add one freakishly good athlete to a well-coached team of very good athletes and you've got a game. Not back-to-back championships or rafters-full of final four appearances, but you've got a game. Add two and you're "in business." Heck, Princeton managed a few good tournament appearances on a version of this approach in which even their standouts weren't awesome. Second, Ivy League financial aid might fall way short for some, but offers some real advantages for others. While tuition and fees have sky-rocketed, most of the Ivies offer substantial financial aid to many of their students, with non-trivial grants extending well into the middle-class; and even if your hoops skills were a (big) factor in your admission, the package doesn't die if you shred your knee or fail to fit in with the (athletic) program. And the NCAA proposal to allow schools to guarantee the athletic free-rides up front?

I don't think they've gone very far down that dark big time highway, but, you know, there's still the fear factor/schnooki/kardashian question: what's an entity willing to do to be on TV?

Louis
01-10-2012, 08:43 PM
what's an entity willing to do to be on TV?

Nearly anything, including selling their soul. Just ask Penn State and Joe Pa.

Ken Robb
01-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Well Princeton did have some success in B-Ball with some guy named "Bradley".