PDA

View Full Version : S&S Travel Cases - Hard or Soft?

moose8
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have experience with both? If so, which would you recommend. I like the idea of the hard one as providing good protection, but I like the fact that the soft one seems to be pretty much stow and go from wherever you are, keeping more in line with having one package to travel with that can go anywhere with you. S&S is having a sale on some hard cases that are going for $170 + $56 shipping (at least to where I live) so it pretty much makes the price the same as the backpack version. The hard cases don't come with any warranty or anything, but I'm ok with that.

Realistically I will only use the case a few times a year at most, but I've got a bike with the couplers and have been searching for the right case solution. I also found a place that will make a box out of plastic to the right dimensions for $60, which I guess would be a third option.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

eddief
01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
i just replaced a wheel on my gray hard case. without that wheel, the case would have been useless. the cases on sale will have no replacement parts available. i understand the temptation, but don't let your wallet get in the way of being practical.

i have watched gorillas from my airplane seat throw around my nice bike in the hard case. i would hate even more to see them do that with a soft case. i have heard some support for soft cases getting the soft touch from airline dudes, but you'd be hard pressed to convince me.

that being said, that hard case is one big solid piece of stuff and it takes up room no matter where it's at.

Pete Serotta
01-09-2012, 06:03 PM
these come into the case size for it is based on airline rules for max size of length, width, height, - - - - otherwise a trico or sarfas case is an option but costs to carry as luggage on plane is LOTS

The frame. wheels, accesories need to fit in case so it takes some practice

many large frames above 58cm are hard to fit the fork in an S ans S case

93legendti
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
My Bike Friday Samsonite case needed a latch and the telescoping handle replaced after its 4th Israel trip. I'm not sure it's the baggage handlers so much as the heft and poor construction. Handling the case in and out of our car, it's hard to be delicate with a large, heavy object.
I used a soft Pika case for my folding Slingshot on 4 trips and my bike never suffered a scratch.

moose8
01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
It's a 57 or 58 I can't quite remember. I think it should fit in the standard size cases, at least from what I've read online.

these come into the case size for it is based on airline rules for max size of length, width, height, - - - - otherwise a trico or sarfas case is an option but costs to carry as luggage on plane is LOTS

The frame. wheels, accesories need to fit in case so it takes some practice

many large frames above 58cm are hard to fit the fork in an S ans S case

EmoryDPTT
01-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Agreed with above about hard cases after watching the same treatment of the bike from baggage handlers loading the airplane.
One thing to take note of is if you travel internationally with your bike case often, finding a taxi that will stop for you can become problematic as most are reluctant to pick you up when the case is nearly Asa big as their citron or Peugeot.
Just some food for thought.

tsarpepe
01-10-2012, 08:15 AM
i have watched gorillas from my airplane seat throw around my nice bike in the hard case

ahem...

stickville
01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
I just purchased 2 for a new tandem project. I was disuaded from the sale cases when I spoke to S$S because they said the problem with the sale cases are the wheels break and there are no replacement wheels. I was deciding between the butterfly latch black case and the grey case. The dealer suggested the tried and true grey case and stated his opinion was the butterfly latch was not as streamline as the grey case latch and could possibly catch on something and get ripped off. I went with the grey cases. I am waiting to receive the packages!!

DRZRM
01-10-2012, 08:46 AM
You'll want a hard case with the packing net and the plastic spacers. I also wrap all my tubes in the Velcro padding. More protection is better, the airlines treat anything that big and heavy pretty roughly (if you sit on the correct side of the plane you'll see just how roughly), and when the airlines open them up for security they can be nearly impossible for them to reclose. I've gotten TSA inspections on more than half of my recent flights. Everything packed up very well and netted into shape helps. I'm not familiar with the black case on sale, but the gray case has served me well for years.

mistermo
01-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Would you mind posting a link to where the cases are on sale? Or, where have you found the best deal on S&S cases? Thanks.

eddief
01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
bottom of page:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm

best price i found aebike.com

Bob Ross
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
It's a 57 or 58 I can't quite remember. I think it should fit in the standard size cases, at least from what I've read online.

FWIW, my S&S coupled frame is somewhere in the 56-58cm size, and the EDGE 2.0 fork has a steerer cut to allow for 3cm spacers total

...and there is only one orientation that the front half of the frame with fork attached will fit into the 26"x26" S&S hard case. It fits, but there's no wiggle room, and no alternative way to arrange the parts...which can impact how you arrange all the other parts in the case.

laupsi
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
anyone have experience w/the Tri All Travel Cases? They're a bit pricey but I have heard positive feed back about them.

MasterOMayhem
01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
i have see the cases there is one for sale across the hall at VS I have a trico and it works well. but shipping and flying it are two differnt things. to go to europe with it was 150 one way and 300 the other. Your half way there for ti SS couplers... so it would pay for itself in two trips to europe at least. I think the hard case is the way to go .

eddief
01-10-2012, 10:10 AM
is it a big deal to consider removing fork from frame to enable easier packing? seems like once the bars and stem are off, sliding out the fork should be not too tough?

FWIW, my S&S coupled frame is somewhere in the 56-58cm size, and the EDGE 2.0 fork has a steerer cut to allow for 3cm spacers total

...and there is only one orientation that the front half of the frame with fork attached will fit into the 26"x26" S&S hard case. It fits, but there's no wiggle room, and no alternative way to arrange the parts...which can impact how you arrange all the other parts in the case.

Bob Ross
01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
anyone have experience w/the Tri All Travel Cases? They're a bit pricey but I have heard positive feed back about them.

The big one, like a coffin? I borrowed one once. It was...big. Wouldn't fit in a lot of the cars that I tried on that trip, and was a huge pain to push around the airport. But my bike was certainly well-protected.

laupsi
01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
yea I was afraid of that. I don't like the other cases; the bars, pedals, wheels have to be removed and there's not much to tie everything down. last time I did used the Trico the bars ended up, despite being wrapped in bubble wrap and sandwhiched between the foam, shifted and there was some cosmetic damage to the fork.

w/the cutsom Tri All Case the bars stay on the frame is mounted to the case and there's a "molly" bar preventing collapse. guess if there's a downside it's the convenience and size of hauling and paying for such a load.