PDA

View Full Version : Streaming TV

93legendti
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
We are looking into streaming TV and getting rid of cable. What do you suggest? Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, or something else? Thanks.

Dekonick
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Get a TV that has google TV. Sony etc...

If you don't want to do that, Netflix and a HD antenna will get you most of what you need.

93legendti
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Get a TV that has google TV. Sony etc...

If you don't want to do that, Netflix and a HD antenna will get you most of what you need.
What does the HD antenna add?

Ozz
01-09-2012, 06:12 PM
If you get rid of cable, make sure your internet connection can handle HD downloads if you want good picture quality.

HD antennae lets you pick up over the air HD signals...

Not applicable if you don't have an HD TV set

moodster
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I have Apple TV and Roku and I like the viewing options better w/the Roku.

mtechnica
01-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I have a roku and it works well (the remote is amazing), however my cable (internet) provider blocks HBO go so that sucks... Also the roku doesn't like to play mkv or avi files which is another issue...

Andrewlcox
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I cut the cable cord 2 years ago and don't regret it a bit. Granted, I don't watch much TV because of my many hobbies but when I do my antenna (http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-ClearStream4-HDTV-Antenna/dp/B001BRXW74/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326155499&sr=8-7) works good. I have a Sony PS3 that streams Netflix, VUDU and Crackle. I have Playon (http://www.playon.tv/playon) installed on my computer which turns my computer into a server and it links up with many many channels including Hulu (not Hulu + at $7/month) and also streams any media already on my computer like pictures or videos. I also keep a HD Tivo so when I do finally sit down to watch something it's ready to watch.

My lifetime Playon was $50, my Netflix is under $10/month and Tivo runs $10/month.

I am looking for a way to watch F1 and MotoGP if anybody has some ideas without going back to cable.

Good luck,
Andy

Ralph
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Our family would like to do the same. I could get a bunch of local stations just using an antenae.

But I'm a world news, current events, political events, financial news, kind of guy. I can watch CNN (and usually do), CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, weather, CNBC world, etc....all the time. That's all I watch really. I even keep CNBC or CNN tuned on my car XM radio. We have 6 TV's in house on cable, one in garage always tuned to stock market (I'm retied).

How do I get this info without cable? Or Dish, etc. Can you really be an informed person without cable in today's world? Have I just drank too much cable cool aid? My son thinks so.

rice rocket
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
I run XBMC on my HTPC. It has plugins for everything ABC, CBS, NBC, etc...plus Food Network and a bunch of other stuff. I also have an Amazon Prime membership, and the Prime plugin is very good, but content is lacking there.

Netflix streaming lacks a lot in every department as well, most of their good stuff is via disc only.

Hulu Plus baffles me because for $7/mo, so you can watch more ads? :rolleyes:

For live sports, it's usually a struggle. ESPN3 has a plugin that works, but content isn't that great. It'll be worth it to keep a set of bunny ears to grab HDTV content over the air. Hockey is almost impossible to catch, which is a shame. And the NHL Center Ice package doesn't let you see games in your region because of exclusive TV rights. :rolleyes:

For F1/MotoGP, I usually torrent from a private tracker site. Don't tell Bernie. :no: I have a few invites left, hit me on the PM.

EDS
01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Our family would like to do the same. I could get a bunch of local stations just using an antenae.

But I'm a world news, current events, political events, financial news, kind of guy. I can watch CNN (and usually do), CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, weather, CNBC world, etc....all the time. That's all I watch really. I even keep CNBC or CNN tuned on my car XM radio. We have 6 TV's in house on cable, one in garage always tuned to stock market (I'm retied).

How do I get this info without cable? Or Dish, etc. Can you really be an informed person without cable in today's world? Have I just drank too much cable cool aid? My son thinks so.

Argueably you would be much better informed if you turned the cable off. Try reading.

peanutgallery
01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I stream thru an xbox 360 and made some of these to hang in the attic

http://www.tvantennaplans.com/

the tv options on the internet are starting to get good. tonite I am watching the Alabama/LSU game with an espn app for the xbox. you can also stream from here thru your laptop.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/

hdmi plug on it is the way to go. if it is in the espn family and not on abc in your area it is here. like my tv as well as the next person, but I refuse to waste the cash on cable. make sure you have a good internet connection and there is enough out there in HD to turn you into a couch potato with the best of them

GuyGadois
01-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I've been rockin VUDU for a few years and love it. It's not a replacement for TV but I like it more then the Netflix I had.

GG

Jaq
01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
FWIW, Netflix blows for streaming content.

They're interesting for the first 6 months, but by then you've pretty much seen anything interesting that they've got to stream. If you really like obscure, low-budget foreign films or crappy old TV shows, you might stretch it out a couple more months.

But they've also lost their deal with Starz TV, who supplied them with much of their current streaming movie content. And now HBO has announced that it is no longer going to sell DVDs to Netflix - they want folks to get their HBO stuff from HBO.

roguedog
01-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Andy, thanks for the tip on PlayOn. HOw do you like it and what are the annoyances? Oh and can you get any cycling through it?

Looks cool and the price is good.

BillG
01-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Netflix is excellent for streaming content if you're adventurous. I watch it pretty much every day. Hulu + is great as well. The new Roku boxes allow you to stream many Netflix titles 1080P and in 5.1, which is pretty darned amazing.

EmoryDPTT
01-10-2012, 07:38 AM
A different alternative is get a slingbox. Hook it up to somebody that you know well and have them dvr stuff that you watch often. Then you can access anywhere with an Internet connection.

93legendti
01-10-2012, 07:51 AM
If you get rid of cable, make sure your internet connection can handle HD downloads if you want good picture quality.

HD antennae lets you pick up over the air HD signals...

Not applicable if you don't have an HD TV set
Hmm, I wonder if our Internet will allow HD downloads. Our cable and Internet are provided by the same company, I'll bet they try to block HD antennae's from picking up the company's signals.

BillG
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Hmm, I wonder if our Internet will allow HD downloads. Our cable and Internet are provided by the same company, I'll bet they try to block HD antennae's from picking up the company's signals.

We have Comcast for both internet and cable, and it's no problem streaming in HD (and wireless to boot via the ROKU XD).

LesMiner
01-10-2012, 08:31 AM
This is my alternative to cable. An over the air DVR. Like Tivo but no fees for the channel guide or anything else. I use an HD antenna that's about 2 foot square to get signals 30 miles away.

Channel Master CM 7000 (http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_recorder_CM_7000PAL _DVR_s/120.htm)

There is a more advanced model available.

Channel Master CM 7400 DVR (http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel_Master_TV_s/304.htm)

At one time Lenovo had a computer specifically for TV entertainment. You couold surf the internet and watch any streaming content. Dual TV tuners so you could watch one channel and record another. Theorically you could record directly off the internet, record over the air programming and watch over the air all at the same time. Or any combination. Your TV becomes the computer monitor.

93legendti
01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
We have Comcast for both internet and cable, and it's no problem streaming in HD (and wireless to boot via the ROKU XD).
Cool. Thanks.

Chance
01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
This is my alternative to cable. An over the air DVR. Like Tivo but no fees for the channel guide or anything else. I use an HD antenna that's about 2 foot square to get signals 30 miles away.

Channel Master CM 7000 (http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_recorder_CM_7000PAL _DVR_s/120.htm)

There is a more advanced model available.

Channel Master CM 7400 DVR (http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel_Master_TV_s/304.htm)

At one time Lenovo had a computer specifically for TV entertainment. You couold surf the internet and watch any streaming content. Dual TV tuners so you could watch one channel and record another. Theorically you could record directly off the internet, record over the air programming and watch over the air all at the same time. Or any combination. Your TV becomes the computer monitor.
Thanks, interesting choice. However, description states a fee for advanced 14-day guide (like TiVo but less cost), with standard guide having 12 less days. Is that what you use to program recordings? And does it only show like 2 days of upcoming programs?

LesMiner
01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks, interesting choice. However, description states a fee for advanced 14-day guide (like TiVo but less cost), with standard guide having 12 less days. Is that what you use to program recordings? And does it only show like 2 days of upcoming programs?

I stayed with the Standard, mainly because I am cheap. Typically you can manually program any future date and time. I know others on Direct TV had recording problems where a show time changed by the network but their Tivo did not make the change. I think it was Versus while recording the Tour. If there is a show that over runs, like a sports event, the schedule does not apply.

Chance
01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
So no Season Pass like Tivo on standard guide? How about requesting a certain time slot be recorded every week? Can you enter that manually once to record over and over again?

LesMiner
01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
It can be programmed to repeat on a daily or weekly basis. It can be programmed to record at any time for any length of time. You can rewind the current channel you are watching while another channel is recording. The rewind time for the channel being viewed can be set. I think the default is 30 minutes.

Ozz
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Since you have internet via cable, you should be OK....I have DSL via phone company (CenturyLink sucks, BTW)....the fastest I can get is 3MPS.....better than the 1.5 I had awhile ago, but still not good enough to get Netflix in HD.

The HD antennae is for picking up local channels HD broadcast signals....

Likes2ridefar
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I use an apple tv and use netflix with it. I have no cable tv and no hd antenna. I do have very fast internet at 50mbps download 10mbps upload.

apple tv works OK, but it's not thrilling. I generally use it to stream netflix, and used to use it for streaming music but have since switched back to a long USB cable from the computer to the integrated amp.

for the rogues, I am using netflix less and less and relying mostly on torrents from pirate bay. It's become way too easy to download entire seasons of tv shows or pretty much any relatively new movie (usually in 720p or 1080p!) in a matter of minutes. Current shows are usually up the day after airing.

I have a very long HDMI cable from the laptop to the tv for this purpose since apple tv rarely plays the formats I download. VLC is what I use for playback.

Kirk007
01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Roku with Hulu plus, netflix, pandora radio, amazon prime +; HD antenna picks up all major networks and public broadcasting in Seattle as well as a fascinating array of asian and hispanic channels. Biggest downsides we've experienced is the wireless connection with comcast, even at 12MB is sometimes spotty. It seems to be effected by stormy conditions. So, anything coming over the internet sometimes hangs up, which can be really inconvenient when trying to watch sports on ESPN3. Same is true with HD antenna. But I love saving the money that used to go to comcast for a lot of useless content.