PDA

View Full Version : Best Beach bikes, William learns about beaches.

Kane
08-10-2005, 04:05 AM
Does anyone besides me dislike going to the beach? Don't get me wrong, I love the beach. Growing up in Washington & Oregon, we went to the beach all the time. My Grandparents had a place on the Pacific north of Ocean shores and I would spend weeks there fishing, playing in the dunes, looking for glass floats (which I have many of different sizes) and digging for Razor clams. The difference is the concentration of people. In Oregon and Washington there are many places to go where you have miles of beach to yourself. Going to the beaches here so far has been a real eye opener. People as far as the eye can see. hunting for a small patch of sand to put a blanket down can be a daunting prospect. People all around you. Tough to keep an eye on the kids & your stuff. It's not that I don't like people, it's just not my idea of a fun beach day. Maybe I was spoiled on the empty beaches, or maybe I just don't understand the Beach scene here?

The other thing I've noticed, there isn't much of a Salt smell from the Atlantic here. I always remember driving to the Pacific, and when you came out of the coast range and were still a good 5 to 10 miles out from the beach you could smell that strong Ocean scent...salt air. Here...nothing. Even standing right in the surf I hardly smell a thing.Am I a beach snob, or is it that I just don't get it?

No offense William,
But you have probably never been to a decent beach. You go to fishing holes on the coast. That is not a beach! A great beach is filled with beautiful women who have clothing on less than 10% of their anatomy. The water is warm. The sky is blue. The sand is warm to hot. Unlike Oregon or Washington, it has never snowed at a 'real beach'. It's hot and girls want to wear a thong bathing suit or none at all.

A beach town is not a destination, it's a life style. The best work that the males of the species have ever done is to convince woman that it is a good idea to wear a bathing suit. (Translation: Take off your clothes and wear your skimpiest underwear.) The reality is that most places in the U.S. are filled with fat corn fed folk, who look horrible in a bathing suit. But, trust me when I say that the highest concentration of beautiful women on the planet is SB to SD and HA. Likely, those initials mean nothing to you. Likely, if you saw me wearing an '808' T shirt you would never even glance at it. But, for beach people in the know the numbers make you sigh in delight. If my beach is crowded, it must be a great beach day!

SB (Santa Barbara) has a summer English school. This means that there are about an extra 400 to 500 beautiful European and South American girls in town for the summer. Very Sweet! Oh, to be young again! You can always tell the Brazilian girls on the beach. They wear high heels. You can't believe it until you see it for yourself.

If you ever talk to party people fifty and above, mention the word Qualude. I never took one myself, but I know what they were and what they were used for. When you mention the word to the right person, they get this wistfull look on their face of days gone by. That's how I feel about the beach.

Make know mistake, Maui is the best. The best beach bike is something old with fat tires, a dry chain, a faded paint job and a cheap cable lock. My 1958 'Robin Hood' stearmy archer (sp?) three speed may have been the best beach bike of all time. Great head tube badge and decals, upright position, comfortable seat and fenders. Very, very nice and then some!

Cheers,

Kane

[QUOTE=William]Does anyone besides me dislike going to the beach? Don't get me wrong, I love the beach. Growing up in Washington & Oregon, we went to the beach all the time. My Grandparents had a place on the Pacific north of Ocean shores and I would spend weeks there fishing, playing in the dunes, looking for glass floats (which I have many of different sizes) and digging for Razor clams. The difference is the concentration of people. In Oregon and Washington there are many places to go where you have miles of beach to yourself. Going to the beaches here so far has been a real eye opener. People as far as the eye can see. hunting for a small patch of sand to put a blanket down can be a daunting prospect. People all around you. Tough to keep an eye on the kids & your stuff. It's not that I don't like people, it's just not my idea of a fun beach day. Maybe I was spoiled on the empty beaches, or maybe I just don't understand the Beach scene here?

The other thing I've noticed, there isn't much of a Salt smell from the Atlantic here. I always remember driving to the Pacific, and when you came out of the coast range and were still a good 5 to 10 miles out from the beach you could smell that strong Ocean scent...salt air. Here...nothing. Even standing right in the surf I hardly smell a thing.

Am I a beach snob, or is it that I just don't get it?

William

William
08-10-2005, 04:12 AM
A great beach is filled with beautiful women who have clothing on less than 10% of their anatomy. The water is warm. The sky is blue. The sand is warm to hot.

I like that vision!!! :banana: Just haven't seen it yet.

Hey! Is Moonstone still a nude beach? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know...... :confused:

William ;)

quattro
08-10-2005, 07:27 AM
William, as you know I like to vacation in your area, specifically, in Matunuck, a stones throw from Moonstone, Yes, I believe it is still a nude beach, at least the is what I am told. I tend to go to Narragansett Town Beach, the beach I grew up on, I like the fact that the beach is about 1 mile long, there is plenty of what Kane thinks should populate a beach, the water gets into the upper 60's to low 70's by August and Narragansett has always had a beach town feel to me. I have also visited beaches from Portland, OR all the way down the coast to S.F., while the coast runs for miles and miles, those are deserted, beautiful in their own way, with water temperatures that you wouldn't want to touch a toe to. Next week I'm off to San Diego and points north, I'll get to visit one of my all time favorite beaches, Laguna Beach, that beach, town and the inhabitants sizzle beach town, and oh yea, there is plenty of what Kane like to see on a beach, I'm California Dreamin, it just goes to show ya, it's always somethin! Surfs up.

Jeff N.
08-10-2005, 12:46 PM
San Diego. Laguna. NOW you're talkin'! Best beach bike? Electra Townie, hands down. Jeff N.

Kane
08-11-2005, 02:56 AM
William,
I'm glad you have a good sense of humor!

Cheers,

Kane (Beach Dreaming)

William
08-11-2005, 05:54 AM
William,
I'm glad you have a good sense of humor!

Cheers,

Kane (Beach Dreaming)

;) :D