PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this old Serotta

G1ngerK1d
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
So I've googled just about everything I can think of to try and get any info I can on this frame. Nothing. I can't find any pictures of similar frames or any info on other Serotta pursuits except one that isn't built like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Fillet brazed except for the lugged cinelli bb. Campagnolo track dropouts. Columbus tubing, not sure which set. The bb is stamped 4726. Seat tube measures c-c 49.5cm or center to the top is 58cm. 650 front 700 rear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42113589@N03/6669238315/in/photostream/

Peter P.
01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
It's likely not a model name but a custom one-off design. Due to the decal design, it's an old model, too, pre-dating the Colorado Concept Tubing era.

Bruce K
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't believe these bikes had a model name.

Ben built a few of them back in the days when Serottas were "Huffy"s and things like that.

BK

oliver1850
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
From what I've been able to determine, Serotta stopped using the Cinelli BB shells circa 1984. I'd guess your frame might be from 84 as there's a 4 at the start of the serial number, but others I've seen from that period began with 83, 84, etc. Are you sure there's not a lightly stamped 8, perhaps covered with paint? What's the fork? Serotta forks usually have the frame serial number stamped in the steerer.

Agree with Peter that it's likely a custom. The 1985 catalog does mention a Sprint model with 22 mm stays, and the "incredibly light" Aero Pursuit. No further description though.

G1ngerK1d
01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
interestingly the fork is Tange with no numbers stamper on the steerer. Positive there is no 8 as I have stripped the paint and can see all the stampings very clearly. Doing a restoration. I also looked up huffy pursuits and didn't find anything similar. I thought the 4 might be the last number of the year it was produced and possibly the 26 being a reference to front wheel size, although I've never seen that in a serial number before.