PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Resistance Level

Ti_on_Steel
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi all, I just bought a Cycleops Mag+ Trainer to get some indoor workouts in. This is my first trainer so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I don't feel like it provides a lot of resistance. Even in the hardest gear ratio with the trainer cranked all the way up, I feel like I can still spin 100rpm+ without maxing out my heart rate. I like to think it's just that I'm really strong, but I don't think thats the case.

Is there something wrong with my trainer, or is this just how they tend to be?

Ti_on_Steel
01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Does this have something to do with linear vs progressive resistance?

Peter P.
01-09-2012, 03:48 PM
You've got to be doing something wrong.

Is the resistance adjustment lever making a noticeable difference in setting changes?

Is the tire slipping against the roller?

Are you REALLY turning 100rpm?

I don't know if the following affects the resistance mechanism's operation but, is the resistance unit mounted backwards? It should be on the non-drive side of the bike.

Mag units should be able to absorb all the power you can produce, even if their resistance curve is not progressive.

Ti_on_Steel
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
The resistance lever doesn't seem to be making a huge difference, it seems to affect to speed I'm peddling a little, but it's not huge. Even in the hardest gear ration I can still spin until I'm bouncing in the saddle.

The unit is installed right, and I turned the knob about two full turns further once it touched the rear tire.

I can't get enough resistance to be able to stand in the saddle and climb hard.

You've got to be doing something wrong.

Is the resistance adjustment lever making a noticeable difference in setting changes?

Is the tire slipping against the roller?

Are you REALLY turning 100rpm?

I don't know if the following affects the resistance mechanism's operation but, is the resistance unit mounted backwards? It should be on the non-drive side of the bike.

Mag units should be able to absorb all the power you can produce, even if their resistance curve is not progressive.