PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever own, build or ride a Hetchins?

Fishbike
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I was reading about Hetchins frames over the weekend. I find them both beautiful and guady, crave-worthy and hideous at the same time. The old one are quite the collector's item. Anyone ever ride one?

victoryfactory
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Never rode one but we used to drool on the one hanging in
the window of Conrad's in NYC ca 1975

check out hetchins.org

VF

sg8357
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Not all Hetchii are flash horrors.

Classy touring
http://hilarystone.com/bike.html

Golden age club bike
http://hilarystone.com/frameset3.html
Scroll down to see the 1938 Hetchins

Aaron O
01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I have the same reaction to them that you do...they have that Colnago quality I detest but in a more distinguished way. I find them both visually beautiful and repugnant, all at once. I'm very tempted to have one built - you'd be amazed at how reasonable they are (especially with the Euro in a nose dive) and they don't seem to lose value.

I've never ridden one but would love to give it a try...preferably a more modern one with OS tubes (which would look WEIRD!). I've HEARD second hand that the brilliant stays don't do anything for ride quaility and they're strictly aesthetic. I think what i want is more in line with a Kirk Terraplane...and, hopefully, some day that will happen.

Steve in SLO
01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I was told by someone who worked there a long time ago that the first curly Hetchens was built as a joke, and placed in the window also as a joke. Then the orders started to roll in...

Aaron O
01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I was told by someone who worked there a long time ago that the first curly Hetchens was built as a joke, and placed in the window also as a joke. Then the orders started to roll in...

The story that I'd always heard was at the time track racing banned sponsorship or decals on the bikes...so Hetchins first made the brilliant stays as a way to distinguish their bicycles.

My guess? Marketing...it was different, looked cool and they could give some mumbo jumbo about suspension and power transfer.

fiamme red
01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
The story that I'd always heard was at the time track racing banned sponsorship or decals on the bikes...so Hetchins first made the brilliant stays as a way to distinguish their bicycles.I think you mean "vibrant" stays.

Aaron O
01-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I always call them brilliant - not sure why. Vibrant stays is correct.