PDA

View Full Version : Important decal issue!

rwtennent
08-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Having spent too many hours (most while at work) reading this forum, I realize that cosmetic issues are important to all of you when putting together your dream (notice I didn't say "only") bike. As such, I have a question regarding decal selection of my soon to be built Concours CS.

I decided to go with the standard polished Ti finish (I'll paint the CSI when I put in that order down the road) and am trying to decide which decal looks best. I want to go subtle, and am trying to decide between the titanium with charcoal outline and the polished Ti with matte decal.

I've searched and seen photos of a matte finished Legend with the polished decal and it looks very nice. Anyone have photos of the reverse, i.e, matte decal on polished Ti?

Any thoughts? Obviously my waiting period has set in and I am inventing things to think about, but as someone wiser than me once said, the wait is the fun, right? :crap:
Thanks
Rob T

kkasper4
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I have a matte finish "Serotta" on my polished chainstays. It is so subtle that it's actually hard to notice. I have a charcoal decal with titanium outline on my downtube (blue carbon fiber). The net effect is the charcoal looks like part of the blue carbon fiber, so the decal looks like only the outline of "Serotta" in titanium. Very classy. I'll try and post pics soon.

vaxn8r
08-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Not exactly what you were looking for but take a look at this: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2685

Wayne77
08-09-2005, 11:26 PM
I don't have any pics of the pics of matte decals over polished ti, but I think sir dirtdiggers ex-Legend had them. Looks very nice. Search the Gallery for Dirtdigger88's Legend and you should be able to find some pics.

Regarding decals: IMO, the fewer the better. I'd go with a downtube decal, _maybe_ a seat tube decal, but no chainstay decals or top tube 'Concours' decal. I really like the Ti with Charcoal outline. Here's a link to my partially built Concours with the Ti/Charcoal decals but it's half painted so it may not be the best example. Over bare ti, the Char with Ti outline would look better.

Also keep in mind that the new Concourses are now more of a 'brushed' finish which is not as shiny as the 'Polish' but more shiny than the matte finish of years past.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8724

andy mac
08-10-2005, 12:04 AM
here's my 05 concours with charcoal. not the world's best picture but you get the idea. i tried to keep it simple. minimal decals. i'm happy with the result. hope it helps.

cheers,

andy.

andy mac
08-10-2005, 12:19 AM
ok, that photo is even worse than i anticipated. sorry. try squinting and a half bottle of jack.

cheers again,

a

rwtennent
08-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I gotta tell ya, all the bikes in the photos look pretty good. I don't think I can go wrong. The charcoal doesn't look as dark on the bike as it does on the website.

Andy, my favorite is the barn. It alone makes me thirst for Jack.

I'll look up the dirtman's legend.

dave thompson
08-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Here's the matte 'decal' on the polished chainstay of my Legend Ti.

Bradford
08-10-2005, 06:30 AM
I have matt decals on Polish and like it a lot. I like polish decals on a matt finish better, but they way I have it still looks great. I've been meaning to take some pictures and post them any way, so I'll see if I can do it this week.

Ozz
08-10-2005, 07:46 AM
I have a polished Legend with the matt decals...look for dirtdigger's legend in the photo gallery...

here it is: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1798

I saw this type of decal (etching?) on a Davidson about 5 years ago and thought it was very cool...my opinion has not changed.

I think on bare ti, this is the way to go...no chance of decals getting scratched up. It is very subtle and durable.

Oh, and get the head tube badge unless they can do a matt decal there also. ;)

dirtdigger88
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
I was always partial to this photo-

Jason

Bruce Jacobs
08-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Just personal taste I guess. We know what we ride and decals don't change it.

aLexis
08-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Oh, and get the head tube badge unless they can do a matt decal there also. ;)

We can. :) It would be a matte or polished 'S' i/o a badge.

Ozz
08-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I was always partial to this photo-

Jason
D@MN! I have a fine looking bike! :cool: ;) :cool: :banana:

dirtdigger88
08-10-2005, 11:20 AM
D@MN! I have a fine looking bike! :cool: ;) :cool: :banana:

I will sell it to you- cheap :D

Jason

Tom
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM