PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Cleaning - What Solution Do you Use?

crashjames
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner to clean bike parts - trial run with plain distilled water wasn't half bad though it took several treatments to clean a very dirty RD

Anyone else using ultrasonic cleaner for bike parts? What solution are you using? Any other tips for the newbie?

Cheers

buldogge
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Alconox???

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Alconox???

I went to the Alconox web site, and I think I know why you're familiar with the product.

"Great Art Starts With Clean Equipment." :)

buldogge
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
That's funny...didn't even know it was being marketed that way. 17 years ago, we had to search out supplies from medical supply companies/lab services.

-Mark

I went to the Alconox web site, and I think I know why you're familiar with the product.

"Great Art Starts With Clean Equipment." :)

Don49
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner to clean bike parts -
I'd be interested in trying an ultrasonic cleaner. Can you recommend a model that's big enough for bike parts? Haven't done any research, but I see this one at Harbor Freight that might work. http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

buldogge
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
We usually use Sonix IV...but...have had decent luck with these as well:

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-043340-LNL-Magnum-Sonic-Cleaner-SS-110v.html

-Mark in St. Louis

Andrewlcox
01-08-2012, 10:46 PM
We usually use Sonix IV...but...have had decent luck with these as well:

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-043340-LNL-Magnum-Sonic-Cleaner-SS-110v.html

-Mark in St. Louis

There are some like the one suggested by Mark in St. Louis on eBay between $100 - $200. I have always wanted to try one for chains and cassettes.

FlashUNC
01-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Shop I go to uses a Simple Green diluted a bit with distilled water. Cleans stuff great.

buldogge
01-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Be careful with Simple Green on aluminum..keep it short and diluted, as it will eventually dull/grey it.

-Mark

Shop I go to uses a Simple Green diluted a bit with distilled water. Cleans stuff great.

FlashUNC
01-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Be careful with Simple Green on aluminum..keep it short and diluted, as it will eventually dull/grey it.

-Mark

Yeah, usually just a couple minutes in the tank gets the bulk of stuff either clean or loosens bits up enough that a wipe down is made way simpler.

Joachim
01-09-2012, 05:54 AM
I prefer acetone or methanol, very effective but you have to dispose of it according to regulation. You dont have to use a lot. In the lab we fill the cleaner with DI water, then put whatever you want to clean in a beaker with methanol. 15min and you done. Acetone will take care of excessive grease and gunk. 100% Ethanol might work too and you dont have to worry about disposal as much as with MeOH, but I havent used that.

Charles M
01-09-2012, 07:13 AM

-Mark

And dont use it at all on anything anodized...

I'm loosing geek status because I cant remember the stuff you can add, but it's the same active as used in Mothers alu wheel cleaner.

rice rocket
01-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I prefer acetone or methanol, very effective but you have to dispose of it according to regulation. You dont have to use a lot. In the lab we fill the cleaner with DI water, then put whatever you want to clean in a beaker with methanol. 15min and you done. Acetone will take care of excessive grease and gunk. 100% Ethanol might work too and you dont have to worry about disposal as much as with MeOH, but I havent used that.

Light it on fire outside. ;)

But serious, be careful with ultra-flammables like that, especially some of those no name brand electronics from China that probably have no QC.

Joachim
01-09-2012, 08:16 AM

I'm loosing geek status because I cant remember the stuff you can add, but it's the same active as used in Mothers alu wheel cleaner.

20% ammonia (a la Windex, very good degreaser when mixed with Morgan Blue degreaser) or are you thinking of oxalic acid?

oldpotatoe
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner to clean bike parts - trial run with plain distilled water wasn't half bad though it took several treatments to clean a very dirty RD

Anyone else using ultrasonic cleaner for bike parts? What solution are you using? Any other tips for the newbie?

Cheers

I use this at the shop.

http://s-kstore.com/index.php/benchtop-parts-washer-model-14.html

They change/recycle the liquid. Ultrasound washers are generally too slow and too small(altho they make bigger ones) and too expensive. Need to scrub/scrub some of the really dirty stuff we see.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4IDCkcnnHg

Stencil brush and some diesel.

crashjames
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
thanks all - besides anodized stuff, should anything *not* go in there?

Charles M
01-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Ano stuff is fine with the right chemical...

Dekonick
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
A tip -

Use regular water in the ultrasonic cleaner. Put your dirty part in a zip lock bag with your solvent solution of choice... you will use much less solvent this way, and it is much easier to pick a bag out of the cleaner and then just rinse the bits in the sink. Keeps your ultrasonic cleaner clean too!

Get a low tray with rubber feet to keep your parts off of the cleaner bottom or you will mess it up...

:)

GREAT for chains!

jr59
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I use sudsy ammonia and Mr Clean. for 50% of the tank.
Water for other 50%.

Idris Icabod
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I've done this for years and use hexanes in a laboratory (I'm a scientist at a big pharma company). I place the parts in a plastic bottle add the hexanes and then place in the sonicator (only use water in the sonicator bath). For bike parts, since you are essentiallly removing dirty grease you need a greasy solvent (like dissolves like). I'm not sure if you can buy hexanes from Home Depot but mineral spirits is available and is just as good (C10 versus C6)

Iowegian
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I use mineral spirits for a first pass on really nasty parts or especially on old parts that have hardened grease. In the ultrasonic cleaner I just use dish soap and water. Using the heater or using hot water will usually shorten the time required in the cleaner but I commonly keep parts in there for 5 minutes or more.

BdaGhisallo
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
I use mineral spirits in my Crest Ultrasonic cleaner and it does a great job on chains and cassettes. I have been using the same 1 gal bottle of spirits for about 18 months of bi-weekly cleanings. Works a treat!

cuda2k
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Typically I use hot water and a shot of simple green for most stuff. I usually do a quick wipe down to get some of the hardened grease off, or toss the part in a plastic bag with a shot of straight simple green first to bust up the grease some, give it a good long shake, then in the ultra-sonic to get in all the nooks and grannies that I can't reach.

Dekonick
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I've done this for years and use hexanes in a laboratory (I'm a scientist at a big pharma company). I place the parts in a plastic bottle add the hexanes and then place in the sonicator (only use water in the sonicator bath). For bike parts, since you are essentiallly removing dirty grease you need a greasy solvent (like dissolves like). I'm not sure if you can buy hexanes from Home Depot but mineral spirits is available and is just as good (C10 versus C6)

or use diesel (octane with impurities...I think)

Idris Icabod
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
or use diesel (octane with impurities...I think)

I think diesel is a real convoluted mixture of hydrocarbons but it's exactly what the doctor ordered for greasy bike parts. I do find that when I do my chain in the sonicator, you remove pretty much all grease this way, that you need to relube very well or you'll end up with a squeeky link.

Louis
01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
This may be heresy, but for my chains I find that with ProLink lube all I have to do is add more lube. No need to ever remove the chain (even though I add a quick-disconnect in case I want to) until it's stretched out and needs to be replaced. Makes that part of things a bit simpler.

buldogge
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I like to soak/brush chains with ATF/Mineral spirits...wipe "clean" and then lube with Dumonde Tech.

-Mark in St. Louis

Dekonick
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
An unfortunate discovery at my house last week - using the ultrasonic cleaner with soap and water (cleaning my tap on my CO2 setup - must keep the beer lines clean... :beer: BUT the cleaner stripped the cheap ass 'imitation' chrome on a plastic part... now I must upgrade to SS :crap: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hehe - just be forewarned that ultrasonic cleaners will REALLY shake things up... for better or worse...

zmudshark
01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
thanks all - besides anodized stuff, should anything *not* go in there?Depends totally on the solvent used. Some solvents can pit aluminum, especially when used on the heat cycle.

Johnny P
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
+1.

This may be heresy, but for my chains I find that with ProLink lube all I have to do is add more lube. No need to ever remove the chain (even though I add a quick-disconnect in case I want to) until it's stretched out and needs to be replaced. Makes that part of things a bit simpler.

Johnny P
01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Don't try the plastic bag trick with acetone as your solvent of choice. The acetone will dissolve the bag.

A tip -

Use regular water in the ultrasonic cleaner. Put your dirty part in a zip lock bag with your solvent solution of choice... you will use much less solvent this way, and it is much easier to pick a bag out of the cleaner and then just rinse the bits in the sink. Keeps your ultrasonic cleaner clean too!

Get a low tray with rubber feet to keep your parts off of the cleaner bottom or you will mess it up...

GREAT for chains!

Dekonick
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Don't try the plastic bag trick with acetone as your solvent of choice. The acetone will dissolve the bag.

Yeah, this is just for either dish detergent and water, or a citrus based degreaser with water. No non polar solvents... if you need them use pyrex

steel515
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Is citrus degreaser also dangerous to aluminum?

rice rocket
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Read the ingredients of your citrus degreaser. I bet it's largely petroleum based, with some orange scent.

pedlpwrd
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
I always clean my MTB with apple cider vinager and water. So far it sparkles at the end. But I am also not using a power washer.

spacemen3
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
I soak the parts overnight in a baggie with WD-40. Then run it through the ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and a little dissolved ultrasonic cleaning powder. The residue then comes off easily with a dry towel.