PDA

View Full Version : Cycling sunglasses

FastforaSlowGuy
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm looking for some guidance. I have two sets of glasses I ride in regularly. One is a set of Native glasses that fit well, look nice, have decent optics, but stink on the bike (they fog easy and the upper frame blocks my vision, especially in the drops). Second pair (my primary pair these days) are from Rudy and are one of the "mask" styles. Solid optics, light, and no frame means great field of vision, but make me look like I'm making a bad attempt at hipster fashion. Apologies for the crass language, but my wife calls them my "d-bag sunglasses". There must be a middle ground. I see a lot of folks in jawbones, but does the frame obstruct your view? Other suggestions? I'm tired of catching flak and straining my neck!

Louis
01-07-2012, 10:42 PM
This is one area where IMO aesthetics are of little to no importance. If Pair #2 work well, who cares what they look like? If the only shoes / saddles / shorts that worked for me were puke green or bright pink or whatever, I would happily use them, comfortable in my comfort, if you know what I mean.

Louis

PS - If you really want some opinions, just post some pictures. :)

FastforaSlowGuy
01-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm willing to be the guy shallow enough to debate this point. Sure, comfort is THE criteria for the touch points (butt, hands, feet) But when there are a gazillion glasses on the market that generally fit the same (or at least won't ruin a ride), I would prefer to look not stupid. And I'm pretty sure I look stupid in my "good" glasses.

Louis
01-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I would prefer to look not stupid.

We'll be the judge of that. ;)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=77874&stc=1

Louis
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
BTW, I have some Rudy RB3's (w/ optical inserts, which are not shown in this pic) and I'm pretty happy with them.

http://www.sunglassoptical.com/shop/xcart/image.php?type=P&id=18654

bloody sunday
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
I really like Oakley.

I've owned the Jawbones, split jacket, flak jacket xlj and the radars.

The jawbones I didn't like because it obstructed my field of view.

Same with split jacket.

Flak jacket was alright, except a lot of sunlight came in through the sides.

the radars are amazing and perfect. get the vented lenses if you don't want fog.

but YMMV - it's up to you, but my pick is oakley.

pdmtong
01-08-2012, 12:41 AM
The new assos supposedly do not fog and have massive coverage...but you will play to pay. I tried them, amazing.

bloody sunday
01-08-2012, 02:22 AM
The new assos supposedly do not fog and have massive coverage...but you will play to pay. I tried them, amazing.
I think they make people look like a teenage girl circa 2005

Louis
01-08-2012, 03:38 AM
^^^^^ Do you mean like this?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/2425277_f260.jpg

EmoryDPTT
01-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Smith pivot locks are similar to Rudy project sportmask. I'm one that puts functionality over looks, especially when I'm spending that much time in a position when little changes make a big difference.
I have used/ tried my fair share of sunglasses and as someone stated earlier, Oakley radars are an awesome choice. My preference- function, comfort, looks, style.

verticaldoug
01-08-2012, 06:17 AM
you are man in lycra riding a bike. I don't think people even notice the sunglasses.

rugbysecondrow
01-08-2012, 06:40 AM
I like the Oakely glasses for quality and looks. I often ride when not lycra'd out, just taking the kids to the playground and I want glasses that look good while on and off the bike. Also, If I am spending money on Oakelys or other glasses, why get ones that only look good riding and not doing anything else?

19wisconsin64
01-08-2012, 06:57 AM
take a look at bike nashbar or performance bike online, sometimes that have styles that are a year or two old for about 50 to 75% off. i've gotten by best glasses this way, for about $40 a pair usually.

i train on Giro glasses-some of the frames make me look like Bono (lead singer for U2). for what its worth, i have your same problem. apparently all cycling glasses make me look like a hipster/poseur/*bag/@#$^trash. so, in agreement with the previous poster, we are grown men in lycra pants (it really can't get worse when you think about it!)

of course, i race in a helmet that makes me look like marvin the martian on that bugs bunny cartoon (casco aero warp helmet for track).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-3rzM8a0f0

cheers

Ralph
01-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I have a couple pairs of cheapo shatter proof wrap arounds from Dollar Tree I use. Light, good enough lens, and they fit good. Cost....$1 each.

When I lose a pair, sit on them, or something...no big deal.

Andrewlcox
01-08-2012, 08:34 AM
I have a couple pairs of cheapo shatter proof wrap arounds from Dollar Tree I use. Light, good enough lens, and they fit good. Cost....$1 each.

When I lose a pair, sit on them, or something...no big deal.

I do the same thing but mine came from Aldi (cheap grocery store).

benitosan1972
01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I do the same thing but mine came from Aldi (cheap grocery store).

Gas stations & 7-11's usually have a good stock of cheap sunglasses.
My favorite place to buy cool shades is the Venice Beach Promenade :cool:

thendenjeck
01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
iv'e found that the hipster thrift stores actually have pretty good sunglasses for about $10. having said that, i just got a pair of jawbones. the wind deflection is nice, they fit well, particularly under my helmet as opposed to cheap sunglasses, but the frames are distracting (been thinking of trading em in for some radars to see if that helps). oh, and they make me feel like robocop or something because they look so ridiculous. i have yet to see high quality cycling-oriented glasses that dont look completely d-baggy.

jlwdm
01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Oakley Radars.

Jeff

benitosan1972
01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Oakley Radars.

Jeff

I've been meaning to try those, but I'm not enough of a pro, broh!

buldogge
01-08-2012, 11:32 AM
My favorite cheap sunglasses so far are these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORESTAR-Cycling-Glasses-Sports-Sunglasses-White-/250855202807?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item3a68229ff7#ht_4666wt_895

Cheap, taiwanese, couple weeks to arrive but fit and function decently well...I got them on a non-BIN auction for quite a bit cheaper as well.

The best non-d-bag glasses are some Smith Theorys I got used for a good price here on the forums...can "safely" wear those to the park, hiking, etc. as well.

-Mark in St. Louis

dekindy
01-08-2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.liquidpolarized.com/sunglasses.html

Solid aluminum frame that is virtually indestructible and stays securely on your head even when wearing them over a balaclava. There is a hinged version if you prefer. I have the Gasket and love it. The 17/84 LTD lens is perfect for bright sunlight and Winter night riding in one lens. You cannot change lens yourself because of the design as I considered this but Liquid Polarized said it is not practical because of the design which stresses safety and longevity.

http://www.liquidpolarized.com/fit_instructions.html
Adjustible fit instructions and videos.

I chose liquid because their optics were the only ones that would accomodate my prescription in a wraparound frame.

To address fogging, the regular lenses configuration is fog resistant especially if you push them away from your face slightly when you stop and tilt your head slightly when starting again to maximize ventilation. Since I use the prescription insert I use the foam version and it completely eliminates fogging without doing anything special other than wearing them but does restrict peripheral vision. You could use the foam insert without a lens I suppose if you wanted to be absolutely assured of no fog. I know that their motorcycle customers do this in the Summer to keep dust and other debris out of their eyes.

I have to have these for the prescription but Oakley's antifog technology would be tempting. Call Liquid Polarized and get their information on the current antifog capability because I have had mine for a couple years and they have probably progressed since then. Not a consideration for me since I use the foam insert anyway.

mike p
01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I divide sunglasses into two categories.....cycling and styling. I rarely wear cycling shades around town. To me it'd look like wearing a cycling kit around town. The further you get away from the bike the dumber they look!
On the bike I wear shades like smith frontline max and oakley half jackets. Off the bike I shades like spy logans, spy lacrosse, and smith shelters.

thendenjeck
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
^that makes sense. problem for me, at least, is that I commute everywhere, and i've learned that style glasses dont work so well for chicago winter commuting, so i end up going to the grocery store, etc, looking like a d-bag.

wingnut
01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
^that makes sense. problem for me, at least, is that I commute everywhere, and i've learned that style glasses dont work so well for chicago winter commuting, so i end up going to the grocery store, etc, looking like a d-bag.

I'm not sure what kind of glasses you have but why not get sunglasses like Oakley/Smith/etc that many people wear for casual use, even if they're the generic, non-brand-name ones? Sure, they're not stylish in the sense that Ray-Ban aviators are stylish but some style of Oakleys are not as LOUD as other sunglasses.

thendenjeck
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
jawbones

crownjewelwl
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
jawbones

My jawbones sit really close to my face...I love them but they fog up easily

I would opt for the vented lenses which I couldn't do since mine are rx

I like the flake jackets too...and radars

I think the oakley brand is broad enough across sports that people don't think you're a freak (or dbag) when you rock them

thendenjeck
01-08-2012, 04:46 PM
yeh, i have the vented ones and they still fog up when i stop moving. but i also get pretty heated.

stackie
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Not to thread hijack, but I've been thinking of updating since I'm using the Oakleys twenty's that I got in 1999. Probably go Oakley again since they've held up pretty well. Anyone use the Juliet for cycling? Too heavy?

Jon

thendenjeck
01-08-2012, 10:24 PM
My jawbones sit really close to my face...I love them but they fog up easily

I would opt for the vented lenses which I couldn't do since mine are rx

I like the flake jackets too...and radars

I think the oakley brand is broad enough across sports that people don't think you're a freak (or dbag) when you rock them

do the radars fog?

edit: and correct me if i'm wrong, but they dont make photochromic lenses for radars?

FlashUNC
01-08-2012, 11:31 PM
The frame takes a bit of getting used to on the Jawbones, but its not an issue once you adjust. I switched to them from a pair of Rudy Project Kerosenes I had for the better part of a decade. Liking the switch so far.

And who cares if they're d-bag sunglasses? If its that big a deal, just pack your other pair to wear when not commuting. It isn't as if a second pair of sunglasses will make or break your commute.

crownjewelwl
01-09-2012, 04:39 AM
do the radars fog?

edit: and correct me if i'm wrong, but they dont make photochromic lenses for radars?

Radars don't fog in my experience...not sure about photochromatic

Charles M
01-09-2012, 07:46 AM
If Oakley spent half the time on simple lense tech that they do adding mountains of plastic to frames and shaping them to try and look like a start wars character, they would likely have invented xray vision by now.

Not all are like that, but damn near anything you see on George hincapie or cavendish will have so much plastic that you could recycle them and make a medium sized poly fabric pull over hoodie. The Jawbones and split and wind jackets are a joke.

Going from Smith Pivlocks to them is like getting a nasty case of glaucoma(sp) and then driving across the golden gate bridge from Marin to SF...
http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/03/87/29/400_F_3872979_2INvYevK4Q77HzQOzDAS45V62SvAUALM.jpg

The half jackets, Radar and M frames are all very good glasses. I wish the noses were adjustale though.

OP,

Trying to tell you what glasses you will like the looks of aint gonna happen. It's like asking what saddle will fit you, except that when you find a saddle you know your home free and nobody can tell you different... But when you find glasses that look right, Your'e only ever one comment from family or good friend away from looking like a Dbag again...

That said, look for glasses with an adjustable nose and ears. Rudy do it well and so do a few others... They very latest Smith Piv now have a more adjustable nose too, but not as adjustable as the very simple and effective wires from Rudy.

Easily adjustable ears and nose mean the glasses can sit closer or further from your face, higher or lower to block wind and the ear pieces will hold firm regardless of where you wind up.

JayBay
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I recently picked up some Tifosi ENVY's from CC when they were half off. They're the best sunglasses I've used on the bike so far. They stay pretty fog free, and there's no frame on the sides to block peripheral vision (I've found that key when glancing back to check traffic on the road). The ones I got have the photocromatic lens that darkens according to the conditions, and that's been great as I often start rides in the early morning dark but end in the bright daylight. It sure beats having to carry two pair of glasses or swap lenses mid-ride.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/results/search&sport=Cycling%7cRun/

EDS
01-09-2012, 09:03 AM
do the radars fog?

My radars don't fog and they do now make a photochromatic lens for the radar.

Love the radars for riding, despite how ugly they are.

benitosan1972
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
i've never had any glasses fog up on me, cycling-specific or otherwise.
perhaps the fit is wrong and the lenses are sitting too close to your face.
oh, i also don't sweat much when i ride, but i think the problem is the fitment.

Charles M
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
climate

Cycle on a cold morning in Georgia and all glasses fog. Hell, wear no glasses and your eyes will fog.