PDA

View Full Version : How many own two of the same frame?

tv_vt
01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a Frame X that I really like. I've only had it a year and it's too nice to ride in the winter. Very unique paint. I now see another Frame X in the same size for sale on eBay. Different color, a year older. I've been toying with the idea of buying it and selling a different frame that's not quite as versatile, made by the same company fwiw. I'd probably lose a few hundred $ in the exchange. None of these frames are made anymore, if that matters.

Curious - anybody have two of the same frame? How do you use them differently? I'm thinking I may set up one as a dedicated climbing bike with a mtn bike RD.

Thanks for any feedback.

T

Louis
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't see any problem with two very similar bikes set up for different purposes. However, if I were building something for winter / crappy weather and I was planing on keeping the bike for quite a while, I would seriously consider going with a Ti frame. Also, can the frame / fork accommodate the tires you'd want to use in the winter?

I guess it depends on whether this is a Winter Bike, in which case you would choose stuff that would work for that, or if it's a Climbing Bike, in which case you would choose components intended to support that. Or perhaps a bit of both.

Nearly everything in life is a compromise...

slowgoing
01-07-2012, 10:38 PM
I have an Atlanta that I ride, and another that I keep around just in case anything happens to the first.

AgilisMerlin
01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
the term backup' does little in producing joy in my marriage.

i only use it when backed into a corner

i have bought and sold more bicycles than fingers in the last decade. For me, not a hobby but a habit,

Chousen One
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I really like the idea of having the frame be kind of a "control" when you're experimenting, but I think there's so many options out there that there's really not much reason to have something like two bikes with one set up for climbing. For the same reason that you'd set up your "climb" bike with different kit, there are other frames out there that might well climb better than the frame you're contemplating getting a fraternal twin for.

There's a guy in NYC that has like 3 surly's, all the same model (might be a slight exaggeration) but he LOVES them. Does all sorts of wonky experimenting in the builds, but they do all get ridden, apparently. Go figure.

pdmtong
01-08-2012, 12:38 AM
as much as I may enjoy one frame, life is too short to not try other frames. variety is the spice of life as they say. plus, a lot has evolved since the time that frame X was "no longer made"

LouDeeter
01-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Many times I've owned two bikes at the same time by the same builder, most recently bikes by Spectrum, Baylis, Columbine and Redcay. Currently, I only have two from the same builder, Brian Baylis. In bicycle collecting, I find it satisfying to own different versions of a product from the same source, if for no other reason to showcase the variety available. Quality of build, uniqueness of features/paint, and ride quality are more important to me than different uses.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2012, 05:41 AM
I have a Frame X that I really like. I've only had it a year and it's too nice to ride in the winter. Very unique paint. I now see another Frame X in the same size for sale on eBay. Different color, a year older. I've been toying with the idea of buying it and selling a different frame that's not quite as versatile, made by the same company fwiw. I'd probably lose a few hundred $ in the exchange. None of these frames are made anymore, if that matters.

Curious - anybody have two of the same frame? How do you use them differently? I'm thinking I may set up one as a dedicated climbing bike with a mtn bike RD.

Thanks for any feedback.

T

I have 2 Merckx MXLeaders..a rider and a spare.

EmoryDPTT
01-08-2012, 05:44 AM
I have very similar frames: Felt F1 sprint and F1 SL. Same geometry but slightly different characteristics. Good to have a spare however, each of them serves a different purpose and I ride the one that is most appropriate for the occasion or event that I plan to do.

Chance
01-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Have in the past but not same model. Not even similar. Currently own different brands. With limited numbers prefer greater variety.

godfrey1112000
01-08-2012, 07:45 AM
HC-54-265 Phoenix, AZ Going in for a Paint Job after 8.5 years Dura Ace

HC-54-295 Leawood, KS SRAM Red

Set up the Same on both, same seat, just slightly different wheels
Same tires

Both ride the same, if is not broke don't fix it, once in a while when I see a
Meivici or a Orbea Orca, the carbon looks nice

Nothing rides like Ti

When I met Old Potatoe at his shop he said he likes steel between his legs, enough said

R2D2
01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
I have two Roberts that are very close. One Road and one Crit.
The Crit primarily just has beefy seat and chain stays. Maybe slightly more upright geo.

kayten
01-08-2012, 08:08 AM
I owned two Pego Marcelos before, one in red, and one in white/blue. No particular reason...

kio

Dekonick
01-08-2012, 09:44 AM
I owned 2 hors categorie frames at the same time; one set up as a fixed gear, the other as a road bike.

William
01-08-2012, 09:50 AM
At one time had two custom CSI's, one built by Dave, the other built by Kelly. One was black and gold, the other was the well known Serotta red/yellow fade ...or McRotta as my teammates called it.

William

Tim Porter
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I loved the ride and handling of my Ottrott so much that I had a Legend built to identical specs (size-wise) with couplers for travel, does that count? The clone experiment definitely worked:

Ottrott in Maine:

http://gallery.me.com/timporter1/100154/IMG00011-20100811-0832.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12861972640001

Legend ti travel bike in Mallorca:

http://gallery.me.com/timporter1/100209/IMG_0922/web.jpg?ver=13024642490001

djg
01-08-2012, 10:20 AM

i have bought and sold more bicycles than fingers in the last decade. For me, not a hobby but a habit,

Er . . . just morbid curiosity here, but how many fingers have you bought and sold?

nm87710
01-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Er . . . just morbid curiosity here, but how many fingers have you bought and sold?

:)

benitosan1972
01-08-2012, 11:19 AM
At one point, I had 4 Cannondale Track frames & 2 Bianchi Pista Concept frames... Redundant? Yes! Investments? Totally! :beer:

*this was in 2008, at the height of the Fixie/Hipster hype era, the bubble has since burst, and I liquidated at the peak :)

akelman
01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Were I to find another Ottrott whose paint (or, ideally, lack thereof) I really liked, I would almost certainly buy it as a back-up. I'd be especially keen to find one with a Ti rear triangle, which would be different enough from my current Ottrott that I'd feel like I was branching out.

Regardless, from where I sit, I think the issue is that I've now had enough bikes that I have a very clear sense of exactly what I want. And now that I know that, I'd hate to be without it for some reason. I just can't imagine not having a functional Ottrott in my stable.

AgilisMerlin
01-08-2012, 03:01 PM

:D

jpw
01-08-2012, 04:22 PM

You sell fingers? Is this legal?

Climb01742
01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
i think if i found one bike that i absolutely loved, i would definitely consider buying a second one to set up exactly the same, fit-wise and component-wise, but have one as a good weather bike and the other as a winter/rain/fendered bike.

singlecross
01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Yes, I have 2 Lemond Poprad Disc bikes built at the moment. One 52cm and one 55cm... the 52 has drop bars and the 55 has flat bars but other than that they are identical. I'm always looking for another 52 as well so that I can keep it at the ready in case anything happened to the other two. Poprads are obviously out of production now and fit me well and have a feature I really appreciate (Downtube shifter bosses and Disc Brakes on the chainstay).

I wish I had done this with Bridgestone XO-1's when they were leaving the US and I worked at a dealer. :cool:

singlecross

10-4
01-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I have an Indy Fab Cross Corvid and a Club Racer SSR set up with canti brakes. The geo is very similar, the fit is identical. I race on the Corvid and use the SSR for training (it also has fender mounts which make it nice for crappy days). Plus, something about the stainless makes me feel better about really beating it up, though I assume the Corvid would handle anything I throw at it just fine.

christian
01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I have 2 Merckx MXLeaders..a rider and a spare.
I have 2 Merckx MX Leaders, too. For the exact same reason.

Nooch
01-09-2012, 08:42 AM
For most of this year I had two Caad9's built up, one was a 'training' bike with sram rival and kysirum equipes, the other was the 'race' bike with sram red and ksyrium sl premiums. I decided that having two of the same was nice, but I always wanted to ride the race bike, so I shed the rival frame. Took the rival group and put it on a cannondal cx9 cross bike, almost the same geometry as the caad9, but it'll take fat tires and fenders -- the way a 'training bike' should. This will start getting ridden a lot more :)

bambam
01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Buy the second Frame X.
Get the collection started now.
:banana:

John M
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I.....None of these frames are made anymore, if that matters.
Thanks for any feedback.

T

This is the reason to consider getting the second frame. If you end up not using it, you can always resell it. Bike transactions are rarely financially advantageous so I wouldn't even put that in the equation if you can afford the costs.

DKM
01-10-2012, 04:11 AM
I actually still have 2 Trek top fuel 9.9ssl mtn bikes. 1 is setup as a 100mm front travel and the other is 120mm. Same frames but different builds 3x10 and a 2x10

I turned them into 2 totally different bikes...

Ti Designs
01-10-2012, 06:42 AM
When I was racing I had two of the same bike, but the blue and red sides were reversed. If I'm gonna drive half way across the country for a stage race, I'm not going home 'cause I crashed and damaged the bike.

Just for the record, I have 10 fingers, all of them original equipment.

GregL
01-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I have two different Cannondales (Six13 Team, CAAD9) with identical geometry and contact points. The Six13 is Dura Ace equipped, the CAAD9 Ultegra. Wheels get swapped between the two. They both get ridden a lot with the CAAD9 more the "sacrificial" bike, for bad weather, training races, travel, and crits. The Six13 gets used for dry days and hillier races. Having a backup bike means never having to miss a ride due to a mechanical issue. Racing means that you will spend some time sliding on the pavement. With a second bike, you don't have to rush to make repairs (to the bike...).

-Greg

comptechgsr
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
There was a time I had 3 of the same bikeisland track frames (mercier kilo tt). I had one bike in NYC and two in CA. The frames were/are so cheap I couldn't pass them up.