PDA

View Full Version : forum blacklisting certian phrases now (no---they are not-Pete)

martinrjensen
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I see Serotta forum is now blacklisting phrases of words that would mean swear words only in abbreviation. The three letter term I am specifically talking about (starts with W) is now displayed with asterisks's when you go to preview so I assume it will show up the same to post. Maybe not a big thing for most, maybe a good thing for most, but not me.
This is getting close to being too politically correct for me. I will have to sleep on this to see if I will even stay here as it has me so upset right now I shouldn't say too much.
Too bad as it was my favorite forum.
This forum can of course do whatever it wants and it appears that they are going to target an audience that may not include me.
No threats here, just my feelings. I sure hope this post is not removed but in light of the apparent direction, it just might be.

vqdriver
01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
meh....

not that big of a deal to me.

the "censorship" of profanity, even in its different forms, is not unique

Louis
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I hadn't noticed anything new. I guess I'm just not using the right worlds.

UKBROOKLYN
01-06-2012, 10:01 PM
look over your shoulder...

Idris Icabod
01-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I can't even think of a three letter word beginning with W that is rude. Now I'm really thnking about it and won't be able to sleep.

10-4
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I can't even think of a three letter word beginning with W that is rude. Now I'm really thnking about it and won't be able to sleep.

x2. Hmmm....

Wait, reread the post. Got it.

Idris Icabod
01-06-2012, 10:05 PM

No worries, will be able to sleep. Just came to me. Abbreviation not word.
Hardly a reason to throw your teddy out of your cot is it?

Jason E
01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
What? The F, you say? I am surprised they did not ban this particular thread just for title:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1055118&postcount=1

Remember, we are lucky to even have a forum this lenient, others ban much more. :rolleyes:

Also, you are ungrateful for questioning, and in the wrong for caring. This is not a first amendment issue, this is Ben's forum* and you are lucky we do not get banned for having this conversation.

Please get back to talking about bikes, if you continue talking like this the monster at the back of the book will hear you...

*Neither run by nor monitored by Ben.

jmeloy
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
meh....

not that big of a deal to me.

the "censorship" of profanity, even in its different forms, is not unique
Meh x 2....

UKBROOKLYN
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
If there was no forum it would be necessary to invent one

Emmanuel Goldstein

Ahneida Ride
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
This joint has mainly been self policed by it's members.

I hope that civility can be maintained and even expanded.

dave thompson
01-06-2012, 10:24 PM
I see Serotta forum is now blacklisting phrases of words that would mean swear words only in abbreviation. The three letter term I am specifically talking about (starts with W) is now displayed with asterisks's when you go to preview so I assume it will show up the same to post. Maybe not a big thing for most, maybe a good thing for most, but not me.
This is getting close to being too politically correct for me. I will have to sleep on this to see if I will even stay here as it has me so upset right now I shouldn't say too much.
This forum can of course do whatever it wants and it appears that they are going to target an audience that may not include me.
No threats here, just my feelings. I sure hope this post is not removed but in light of the apparent direction, it just might be.
....so?

Even if they do... this forum belongs to Serotta, ostensibly for the promotion of Serotta and the bikes they build and sell. If "we" were allowed to say whatever we wanted to say, that possibly could turn off someone that came here for information about Serotta/bicycling/touring/whatever two wheels. Serotta has the right to guide this forum in any direction they choose. It may not be to everyone's liking, there are other forums that have different rules that may more suit them.

While I'm not the most politically correct guy in the western hemisphere, I try to conduct myself nicely here in polite company. Which IMO hasn't been so polite in the last few months.

sjbraun
01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Establishing expectations for proper decorum has nothing to do with political correctness. It's just good manners, or not being a d*ck.

I get so tired of people throwing up the political correctness flag when someone calls them out for boorish behavior.

G.rrrr

thendenjeck
01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
dubble yew tee eff, DOOD

benitosan1972
01-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Waaat Taaah Fizzzle

Kontact
01-06-2012, 11:51 PM
That's why none of my Want To Find posts in the classifieds worked!

vqdriver
01-06-2012, 11:57 PM
we are lucky to even have a forum this lenient, others ban much more..

yes

Establishing expectations for proper decorum has nothing to do with political correctness. It's just good manners

yes

thinpin
01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Dont understand what the fuss is all about.

Louis
01-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Dont understand what the fuss is all about.

He can no longer abbreviate "What The Fnck."

It looks like this: ***

ljmiller
01-07-2012, 02:46 AM
....so?

Even if they do... this forum belongs to Serotta, ostensibly for the promotion of Serotta and the bikes they build and sell. If "we" were allowed to say whatever we wanted to say, that possibly could turn off someone that came here for information about Serotta/bicycling/touring/whatever two wheels. Serotta has the right to guide this forum in any direction they choose. It may not be to everyone's liking, there are other forums that have different rules that may more suit them.

While I'm not the most politically correct guy in the western hemisphere, I try to conduct myself nicely here in polite company. Which IMO hasn't been so polite in the last few months.
Although I have't been here but for the past few months, I have also noted an increase in posts concerning censorship or otherwise arguing against our hosts. While I believe it is necessary to maintain a certain degree of freedom, we shouldn't question every little change they make, such as censoring wheels too fancy (that's what we are taking about, isn't it?!?).
Its a simple censorship of an abbreviation commonly associated with a swear word, people should have the decorum to censor themselves.

thinpin
01-07-2012, 02:51 AM
He can no longer abbreviate "What The Fnck."

It looks like this: ***
Ah, thats What The Fuss is about

Pete Serotta
01-07-2012, 04:42 AM
THis is a Brand Forum and we are for male and female and multiple nationalities - - - BUT THERE are only 5 items in the banned list. The one you mention has been on the list for at least 6 months and you can blame me for it.

I assure you that I spent over twenty years in NYC area and do not blush at language but the 5 in list have been there for a long time by me,

we have not added any.

Additionally personal attacks are not allowed, unless they are at me and then that is ok. I have never banned for attacks on me BUT attacks on others have been dealt with- -- is not polite and adds nothing to forum.

I am sorry you feel the way you listed but the three letters are not ok here - - if you use them over a glass of red in non mixed company with me they are more than ok. :beer: :beer:

PETE

HAve a good weekend. PETE

victoryfactory
01-07-2012, 06:07 AM
If your idea of freedom of expression is cramped by not
being allowed to use a few well known worn out words,
phrases or abbreviations you are just uncreative.

I would imagine that forum software has some way for
admins to enter a list of banned words to auto-replace with ***
hardly the crime of the century or even a big deal.
Use your imagination and make up some new words.

fragnubit!

VF

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2012, 06:32 AM

nm87710
01-07-2012, 06:39 AM
THis is a Brand Forum

ROFL :)

godfrey1112000
01-07-2012, 06:49 AM
please do not name names

jr59
01-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Hey now; Wait just one min.

I have a jersey that proves I was banned!

In fact, I think a few of us have them. :p

Take that Mean old, used to be, serotta pete! :p

Sorry buddy, I couldn't resist!

UKBROOKLYN
01-07-2012, 07:09 AM
BUT THERE are only 5 items in the banned list. PETE

Hey Pete the last time I checked there were 7 Dirty words... Jeese Mr Carlin must be rolling in his grave..

Too much freedom.. dear dear this could lead to the destruction of society..

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Hey Pete the last time I checked there were 7 Dirty words... Jeese Mr Carlin must be rolling in his grave..

Too much freedom.. dear dear this could lead to the destruction of society..

sh@#

Pi@#

Funk

Cant

co#ksucker

muthafracker

T!ts

loved that routine!

witcombusa
01-07-2012, 08:22 AM
THis is a Brand Forum and we are for male and female and multiple nationalities - - - BUT THERE are only 5 items in the banned list. The one you mention has been on the list for at least 6 months and you can blame me for it.

I assure you that I spent over twenty years in NYC area and do not blush at language but the 5 in list have been there for a long time by me,

we have not added any.

Additionally personal attacks are not allowed, unless they are at me and then that is ok. I have never banned for attacks on me BUT attacks on others have been dealt with- -- is not polite and adds nothing to forum.

I am sorry you feel the way you listed but the three letters are not ok here - - if you use them over a glass of red in non mixed company with me they are more than ok. :beer: :beer:

PETE

HAve a good weekend. PETE

Seriously? You think "mixed company" changes this?
You must not spend much time with that "other" group because the language usage there would seemingly surprise you!

dekindy
01-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Go where you can cuss, fart, spit, and otherwise do what you want if that makes you happy. There are plenty of places to do that. But while you are here why don't you stfu and quit bellyaching about the rules. Good grief, I really get tired of this constant whining.

William
01-07-2012, 09:12 AM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/angry/smiley.gif

FRANK!!!!

AngryScientist
01-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Go where you can cuss, fart, spit, and otherwise do what you want if that makes you happy. There are plenty of places to do that. But while you are here why don't you stfu and quit bellyaching about the rules. Good grief, I really get tired of this constant whining.

agree totally.

velotel
01-07-2012, 09:35 AM
The use of swear words when writing is invariably due to laziness or a seriously reduced vocabulary or an inability to write creatively. They add nothing though perhaps their use makes the writer feel better. That said, the use of *** between letters strikes me as a lame response. Like someone wearing see through clothing and everyone pretending they can't see what is perfectly obvious. If it was up to me, the words would simply be automatically deleted or the post rejected with a note that tells them to be more creative in their use of words, like the note that arrives when I try to upload a photo that is too big. Just tell them the word is too dumb, find another. That isn't censorship; it's education. And yes, I swear and I am so far away from being politically correct that I'm not even on the same planet much of the time. But when writing, I don't swear; that would be insulting what intelligence I manage to remember.

Ahneida Ride
01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
frn is now also banned ! I can't say frn any more ! :rolleyes:

Now that should make everyone happy ! :beer:

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
The use of swear words when writing is invariably due to laziness or a seriously reduced vocabulary or an inability to write creatively. They add nothing though perhaps their use makes the writer feel better. That said, the use of *** between letters strikes me as a lame response. Like someone wearing see through clothing and everyone pretending they can't see what is perfectly obvious. If it was up to me, the words would simply be automatically deleted or the post rejected with a note that tells them to be more creative in their use of words, like the note that arrives when I try to upload a photo that is too big. Just tell them the word is too dumb, find another. That isn't censorship; it's education. And yes, I swear and I am so far away from being politically correct that I'm not even on the same planet much of the time. But when writing, I don't swear; that would be insulting what intelligence I manage to remember.

I am good with the respectful or polite approach, but the notion that writing ought to strive for a higher plane of intellectuality, particularly on a message board is silly.

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I am good with the respectful or polite approach, but the notion that writing ought to strive for a higher plane of intellectuality, particularly on a message board is silly.

Why?

BBD

Dr. Sparrow
01-07-2012, 09:56 AM

But you keep coming back for more. How many times are you going to threaten to leave?

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Why?

BBD
The easy answer is because I said so.

if intelectually writing is the standard for the forum, you and many others are in big trouble, lump me into that group.

The longer answer is that writing is a form of communication, a tool. The same tool can have many applications based on the desired intent and purpose. We can all agree there are many different types of writing many with varying ways to do so. Texting, blogging, new reporting, emails, hand written letters...all with varying levels of formality and I would argue intellectuality.

Ahneida Ride
01-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Dear Rugby Mon ....

In promulgating your esoteric cogitation's or articulating your superficial and sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

Let your conversational communications possess a clarified conciseness, a compact comprehensibiliness ,coalescent consistency and a concatenated cogency.

Eschew all conglomerations of flatulent garrulity, jejune babblement and asinine affectations. Let your extemporaneous descantings and unpremeditated expatiation's have intelligibility and veracious vivacity without rodomontade or thrasonical bombast.

Sedulously avoid all polysyllable profundity, pompous prolixity, psittaceous vivacity, ventriloquial verbosity and magniloquent rapidity.

Shun double entendres, previnient jacosity and pestifereous profanity, observant or apparent.

thendenjeck
01-07-2012, 10:36 AM
this thread sucks.

firerescuefin
01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
this thread sucks.
^^^^^!!!! :beer:

Ahneida Ride
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
this thread sucks.

and I just make it worse ! :crap:

hopefully ... it just fades away by itself !

akelman
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
The longer answer is that writing is a form of communication, a tool.

Also, there are plenty of writers who use profanity expressively in their prose. I mean, you'd have to pry vulgarity of all kinds out of Kurt Vonnegut's and Raymond Carver's cold, dead hands. Oh wait, Vonnegut's and Carver's hands are actually cold and dead, aren't they? Still, the point stands. Pretending that good writing can't contain profanity is plainly ignorant.

On the other hand, nobody here is a Vonnegut or a Carver. And if the rule is no profanity, who cares? We're mostly talking about bikes, not the human condition, so if our linguistic toolkit is somewhat limited, I think we'll still be able to muddle through.

akelman
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Also also, yes, this thread does suck. In fact, 99.9% of the threads devoted to complaining about this or that problem on the forum suck. Leaving aside that there are bigger issues in the world, people really do need to remember that this service is both free and non-essential. If it's making you miserable, vote with your feet.

Elefantino
01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I think it's time to ...

http://www.welaf.com/uploads/201006/28/imgs/1277776867_who-lock-me-here-let-me-out.jpg

Mr. Squirrel
01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
when dealing with nuts, i try to keep a few things in mind. many people are allergic to my nuts.

my nuts may be eaten raw but are usually roasted or toasted. as with most nuts, toasting brings out more flavor.

roast my nuts on a flat tray in a 350-degree F. oven for about 10 minutes, shaking halfway through. they may also be toasted on top of the stove in a heavy skillet, stirring often until they turn golden.

my nuts may also be placed on confections.

my nuts are an excellent source of protein, moreso than any other common nut. european varieties have more protein than american varieties.

my chinese cousin's nuts have a much stronger pine flavor than the milder mediterranean and italian varieties.

my nuts may be used in many recipes, but not for classic pesto.

mr. squirrel

Dekonick
01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Dear Rugby Mon ....

In promulgating your esoteric cogitation's or articulating your superficial and sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

Let your conversational communications possess a clarified conciseness, a compact comprehensibiliness ,coalescent consistency and a concatenated cogency.

Eschew all conglomerations of flatulent garrulity, jejune babblement and asinine affectations. Let your extemporaneous descantings and unpremeditated expatiation's have intelligibility and veracious vivacity without rodomontade or thrasonical bombast.

Sedulously avoid all polysyllable profundity, pompous prolixity, psittaceous vivacity, ventriloquial verbosity and magniloquent rapidity.

Shun double entendres, previnient jacosity and pestifereous profanity, observant or apparent.

Google thesaurus?

tannhauser
01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't care about swear words, but the perhaps the smilies can be banned. You know, so people can talk like adults.

Sandy
01-07-2012, 11:58 AM
One must respect the perspectives and thinking of others as we are all unique, but I really don't understand the focus and importance on banning the usage of a 3 letter acronym as a function of "close to being too politically correct..". It is minuscule both in the overall format and presentation/usage of the forum, which is a gift to us all, and is also minuscule to the real dire potential possible occurrences in the world if we are too PC about significant issues.

We use the forum as a great learning tool, a place to communicate in multiple areas, not limited to cycling, and have developed significant friendships and enjoy genuine camaraderie here. The banning of a few words was the choice of those who operate this wonderful form. Respect and adhere to simple rules.

Focusing on a grain of sand seems rather questionable to me, as we have a beautiful beach to play on.

Sandy

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Awesome. Hope to see you in Feb at Smiley's.

Dear Rugby Mon ....

Ahneida Ride
01-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Awesome. Hope to see you in Feb at Smiley's.

Ha ! miss ya too !

Bruce K
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Let 's re-institute Prohibition.....

No wine here :rolleyes:

Bad enough pun? ;) :p

BK