PDA

View Full Version : Parts for old Serotta

carrera
08-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I have an '89 Nova Special X, a beautiful bike that I raced when it was new but still ride weekly (weakly also). Unfortunately I have worn out all my freewheels except a straight block Suntour Winner which is tough for the hills here in Georgia. I can find very little for sale in terms of selection and all at extortionate prices, a 13-23 or 13-24 seems impossible to source.

How are other owners of old Serottas coping. One bike shop told me to "get a new bike". All advice and alternatives are welcome!

sc53
08-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Lots of vintage parts available on eBay. I'd check there first.

sn69
08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
While I cannot recall the gear ranges, there are frequently several NOS ones for sale. I recommend you go to road bike parts and conduct a search for Suntour.

Another option would be to have a 7 speed rear casette wheel built. Again, there are plenty of NOS Dura Ace (and even occassional Suntour) hubs available on Ebay. If memory serves, Grant Peterson sells some Phil Wood-equipped ones at Rivendell.

Of course the shop said to buy a new bike...and I'm sure they had some 05 model bought on margin that they recommended right off the showroom floor....

Don't sell your Nova. Keep it, baby it, cherish it....

Ken Robb
08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I think I have a new Sunrace 13-28 in the box. I bought it as an extra for my Nuovo Record 7spd bike. If you want it send me $25 and I'll send it your way. Gotta keep those classics on the road.

fiamme red
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
http://www.bicycleclassics.com/freewheel.html

The cost of a Suntour Winner freewheel is about the same as a 9-speed Ultegra cassette, not extortionate in my opinion.

carrera
08-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input, I will go with bicycle classics. Soon to get the Nova repainted from its original white. Does Serotta stock old decals (theirs and Columbus SLX)?

Serotta PETE
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Serotta stocks some decals but not sure what selection they have from 20 years ago, Give them a call.

Tom Kellogg and Joe Bell do great repaints and quite often they can get the decals.

Vancouverdave
08-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Try the Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI. They're on the web at yellowjersey.org. They still have a Suntour cog board and fresh parts. I have purchased 2 complete cog sets for 7 speed freewheels from them in the last year. Also, if you live on the west coast, try Northwest Bicycles in Portland, ph. 503-248-9142. They still have a patchy cog board but it might be able to fill in some gaps for you.

tbushnel
08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I have a Mavic 501 hubset that is used but in good condition that isn't doing anything at my house. The rear hub is a freewheel that currently has an eight speed cogset on it (I think 12-24), but I believe it can also be used with a seven speed cogset.
If you are interested I could post some pics, and if it looks interesting I could send it to you for your perusal.
Just a thought.
Ted.
:banana:

kong79
08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Last time I looked at a Nashbar catalog, they still listed 7-speed freewheels. By the way, don't get rid of the bike, regardless of what that shop tells you. They're just jealous cause they know that all those spiffy carbon fiber look-a-likes won't be around in 10 years, much less 20.

palincss
08-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I have an '89 Nova Special X, a beautiful bike that I raced when it was new but still ride weekly (weakly also). Unfortunately I have worn out all my freewheels except a straight block Suntour Winner which is tough for the hills here in Georgia. I can find very little for sale in terms of selection and all at extortionate prices, a 13-23 or 13-24 seems impossible to source.

How are other owners of old Serottas coping. One bike shop told me to "get a new bike". All advice and alternatives are welcome!

The drive train does not equal the bike. You could, if you wanted, replace all or part of the existing drivetrain and convert the bike to some sort of cassette system. If it's a steel frame built with 127mm rear triangle spacing you could fit a 7-speed cassette with no further modification; if you wanted to spread the triangle to 130 (which would let you use 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes) that would be a simple matter.

Or, you could (as has been suggested) pursue NOS freewheels. They are out there.

One thing you do need to do though: get yourself a LBS. That one shop is staffed by idiots.