PDA

View Full Version : So my boy is riding now!

bikerboy337
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
I have to say, balance bikes are the way to go. We got my son a balance bike last year when he was 2, and he picked that up pretty quickly. By this fall, he was pretty much an expert. For x-mas, we picked up a Trek Jet 16 for him and figured that he could ride it this spring/summer. One day later, he was riding all around the neighborhood, no training wheels at all and no real crashes yet! So very cool to see. Its going to be fun in the coming years to ride with him.... :hello:

Here is a photo of him doing a trick on the curb (or trying to copy me)

jr59
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
That's GREAT!

johnnymossville
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
NICE! There's nothing else quite like two-wheeled freedom.

crownjewelwl
01-06-2012, 02:26 PM
my son is turning 8...i'm getting him on a cross bike for his b-day! figured it was a versatile option...he can follow me around on the road or go putz around on the dirt!

pdmtong
01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
congratulations!

coupla suggestions, as I've been down this path

- canondale kids gloves from performance

- giro flume helmet once he outgrows (and gets too hot in) the basic total coverage brain bucket

- REI kids bike clothes are really great and cheap

- kids mini-hydration pack from camelback

- craigslist for his bikes.

- once he hits about 4'6" look for a used trek kdr1000 kids 24" road bike to complement his mtb

- he could be on a 16" for awhile since he got it so early. there is a schwinn 16" that has front/rear v-brakes AND a coaster brake. my daughter mastered hand brakes on this 16", so she jumped right on a hand brake only 6sp front suspension hotrrock and we started single tracking on the local XC dirt with it around age 5.

you are about to have a lot of fun!

ultraman6970
01-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I know how it feels,... my little one was riding no wheels at 2.5 y/o and we took the training wheels out around 3.2 y/o or so.

Both used a balance bike but my older did not like it, but the little one was moving around like maniak over it.

Nice move those little bikes, my only issue is that are so small that at least the skoot at 2 years or so was too small for my kids already.

Enjoy man :)

tiretrax
01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Great job!

Wilkinson4
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
YA!!! Training wheels bad, balance good!!! Great job dad.

mIKE

kohlboto
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
my son just turned 2 and is getting acquainted with his new balance bike...he mostly walks it around the house.

pdmtong
01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
my son just turned 2 and is getting acquainted with his new balance bike...he mostly walks it around the house.

another thing that works is a razor scooter. as much as I hate those things, my daughter could carve it right and left. I took her training wheels off, next thing I know she is doing large and small radius circles right and left on her bike. no directional or speed weaknesses.

benitosan1972
01-06-2012, 07:59 PM
So cute. Proud moment!
He may very well be the next
Eddy Merckx, Lance Armstrong, Chris Hoy, Tim Johnson, John Tomac, Ned Overend, Dave Mirra, Matt Hoffman, Danny Macaskill, etc.

You never know! :)

KF9YR
01-07-2012, 12:03 AM
It's a blast riding with your kids!

My son is 14 and is big enough for my old Roubaix road bike and a 29'er hardtail.

My daughter is 11 and has the 24" kdr 1000 Trek road bike and a 24 inch bike with 2" tires we use on the dirt.

I mount a GoPro under my handlebars and get videos of the rides. They love to watch themselves.

The 3 of us went out for ten miles on the dirt in CA this afternoon...

Have fun watching him grow and enjoy the time together.

Fixed
01-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Savor the moment it seems you look up again and they are grown
Enjoy
Cheers